NAD T587 Profile 2.0 Blu-ray now shipping - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2008-12-03, 03:42 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default NAD T587 Profile 2.0 Blu-ray now shipping

Canadians looking for another profile 2.0 Blu-ray player this holiday season now have another model to choose from after Lenbrook Canada announced the NAD T 587 is now available in Canada.

Not a cheap unit!
Advertisement

Old 2008-12-03, 04:12 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Price is $1,600.
Old 2008-12-03, 04:29 PM   #3
Toolatecrew

"Silicon rubber feet have also been added to isolate vibrations from the player. "

Well that alone justifies a price 4 times that of other 2.0 players right?

Good luck with that NAD.
Old 2008-12-03, 05:23 PM   #4
Tezster
Veteran

Well, if there are audiophile CD players that cost $6,000, then a $1,600 BD player isn't too shabby. I suppose the key is whether it actually delivers some real-world difference when compared with sub-$400 BD players.
Old 2008-12-03, 11:39 PM   #5
elapsed

Quote:
Well that alone justifies a price 4 times that of other 2.0 players right?

Good luck with that NAD.
What's with all the bias towards higher priced electronics? In this case, the audio section on the NAD Blu-Ray player will be of far higher quality than that on a mass-market player. For instance, the multichannel output of a good BD player such as the Denon 3800 sounds better than using its HDMI output with just about any mass market receiver, and the same will be said of the NAD player.

I would expect better DAC, better circuitry, lower noise power supply, less vibration, better quality control and higher build quality, plus unlike mass-market products this isn't intended to be replaced every 3 years.

Also keep in mind that someone who has already spent $5,000 on NAD separates will likely want a NAD Blu-Ray player to match their system, and in relation to their existing pre-amp and poweramp this product will offer value at this purchase price. I can assure you this product will sell very well in this niche market, its not intended for mass production.

elapsed

PS - Denon just announced a new DVD-A1UD Blu-Ray Player for $5,860. Keeping in mind that the old DVD-5910 ($3,500) is arguably the best DVD player ever made, I can assure you this will sell well to a specific market, while allowing Denon to show off advances in this technology. In relation, the NAD is a bargain
Old 2008-12-04, 12:59 AM   #6
hugh
Member #1

A Chevy and a Ferrari are both cars but we all want a Ferrari Is a NAD worth 4x the price. That's a difficult equation because everyone has different expectations and perceptions of quality.
Old 2008-12-04, 10:15 AM   #7
granduncle

Just wait for the Meridian BD player to be released (might take a couple years).
Their DVD player was priced like a decent car. I guess you'd need a mortgage to get their BD player...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elapsed View Post
...I can assure you this will sell well to a specific market, while allowing Denon to show off advances in this technology.
What does "sell well to a specific market" mean? Like the number of $150,000 Wilson speakers (X1, X2) sold over its lifetime - few sets a year?

I hope Denon's new DVD player includes their $500 HDMI cable...

BTW, where did the previous threads about this player go (that james99 combined into one)?
Old 2008-12-04, 01:25 PM   #8
markusp

Judging from what I have read at other forums, this player will NOT be on my wish list. It is a clone with some tweaks and NOT an audiophile product that justifies it's large cost.

Heck, even the photo indicates that it lacks overall build quality and the casing is too small to include high end audiophile parts. Take a look at the Denon DVD-3800BCTI as a product comparison to see which is truly worth the money.

Tags
blu-ray, nad, t587