Stacking, Ganging, Combining TV Antennas - Page 55 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-19, 02:20 PM   #811
HWP

Have you considered adding a low-noise, low-gain pre-amp? It might do the trick in your situation. Maybe an Antennas Direct PA19?

WPCW on rf27 is a no-hoper as per TV Fool. The distance is not super far, but there must be some obstacles in the way. If there were any hope, you would absolutely have to have the best antenna, best pre-amp, and exact aim (rotator), and as much height as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-20, 12:37 AM   #812
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
I loose 16.1 & 16.2 witch is WNEP the WNEP channels come from their tranlator tower W36be-d here is my Tv Fool wrapper I am also trying to get WPCW RF 27 ( 19.1 )
I don't see a WNEP 16.1, but see a WINP 16.1.

Thats an interesting TVFool, as you have 2 WPSU-TVs on the same RF 15 and virtual 3.1. How does your tuner handle that ?

WPCW RF 27 ( 19.1) at 87 miles and 2 edges is going to be very tough. I would try various mounting heights.
Old 2012-04-20, 05:14 AM   #813
David,M,B

Default Pairing Two Winegard HD-9032 UHF Side by Side

WHP Wrote:

Quote:
Have you considered adding a low-noise, low-gain pre-amp? It might do the trick in your situation. Maybe an Antennas Direct PA19?
I do have a Winegard AP - 8780 pre-amp I did not know about the pre-amp you listed But was going to buy the 9260A from here http://www.researchcomms.com/hdtv. But I search here at the Digital Home forum to see if any of the members here have bought one of these pre-amp from that company.

300 ohm wrote:

Quote:
I don't see a WNEP 16.1, but see a WINP 16.1.
WNEP rents the tower its listed as W36BE-D RF is 36.1 then comes up on my Zenith converter box as RF 36.1 & 16.1 I have different converter boxes.

Quote:
Thats an interesting TVFool, as you have 2 WPSU-TVs on the same RF 15 and virtual 3.1. How does your tuner handle that ?
Not sure how the converter boxes only put up one of them now my Digital Stream box shows both of them & my Zenith box does to but you can delete one of them now my Channel Master converter box just puts up one
of them.

Quote:
WPCW RF 27 ( 19.1) at 87 miles and 2 edges is going to be very tough. I would try various mounting heights.
My antenna tower is a telescoping tower Min height is 25 foot max height I
can go is 55 foot I figured if I could just get WPCW RF 27 ( 19.1 ) channel to show up one the box with the two Winegard HD-9032 antennas I would put two of my 4251 Channel Master Parabolic antennas up & was hoping it would pull in the picture.

Thanks in advance Guys

Malvin
Old 2012-04-20, 07:31 AM   #814
ProjectSHO89

WPSU operates a 3-unit DTS/SFN.
Old 2012-04-20, 10:29 AM   #815
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
I do have a Winegard AP - 8780 pre-amp I did not know about the pre-amp you listed But was going to buy the 9260A from here http://www.researchcomms.com/hdtv. But I search here at the Digital Home forum to see if any of the members here have bought one of these pre-amp from that company.
I believe mlord bought a preamp from that company, which model I don't know but it was .4 NF.
AFAIK, he's still pleased with it.
Old 2012-04-20, 07:31 PM   #816
David,M,B

Default Pairing Two Winegard HD-9032 UHF Side by Side

3oo ohm Wrote:
Quote:
I believe mlord bought a preamp from that company, which model I don't know but it was .4 NF.
AFAIK, he's still pleased with it.
I did find his post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=426

That was four years ago wonder if that pre- amp is still working maybe if he sees this he could post & tell us if its still working ?? They are not cheap but I am thinking of getting one witch would be the 9260A.

Thanks for the replies guys

Malvin

Last edited by stampeder; 2012-04-20 at 09:01 PM. Reason: link to other post repaired
Old 2012-04-23, 10:39 AM   #817
balm
Veteran

Default Combining without UVSJ

Can I combine a VHF-Hi yagi (used for only a single weak VHF-Hi channel) to a UHF antenna (used for moderate UHF channels and 2 strong VHF-Hi channels), pointed in the same direction....using only a standard splitter in reverse ?
Old 2012-04-23, 12:05 PM   #818
300ohm
Veteran

It will work of course, but the main question is how much more of a loss you'll incur over using a UVSJ.
Old 2012-04-23, 01:05 PM   #819
balm
Veteran

the problem is using the UVSJ MIGHT hurt the VHF-Hi on the UHF antenna, and running another cable with switch is complicated cause of multiple TVs

of course the yagi might receive some of the same UHF channels and muck up the UHF antenna....
Old 2012-04-23, 03:42 PM   #820
300ohm
Veteran

Maybe the addition of one of these babies to the UVSJ would help.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...er_10_UHF.html
Old 2012-04-23, 04:40 PM   #821
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

^^^That unit is for UHF only. On top of that, it is made in Europe, so will likely have their 8MHz channel spacing instead of the 6MHz spacing used here in North America.

Back to balm's original post, if the antennas are pointed in the same direction, what is to prevent the VHF-HI antenna from receiving the strong VHF broadcasts that you are wanting "moderated" by using a UHF antenna. For strong local broadcasts, a notch filter is your best option that.

Edit: If it is only one weak VHF-HI station you are wanting, you can use a Channel Master Join-Tenna to combine the antennas. They are available for most channels from the PCT store.
Old 2012-04-27, 04:10 PM   #822
lithOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by balm View Post
Can I combine a VHF-Hi yagi (used for only a single weak VHF-Hi channel) to a UHF antenna (used for moderate UHF channels and 2 strong VHF-Hi channels), pointed in the same direction....using only a standard splitter in reverse ?
Try using a Join-Tenna for the weak VHF. It will allow the UHF antenna to get the strong VHFs, but when you tune in the weak one, it will use the real VHF antenna.
But hurry if you want one- CM stopped production a few years ago and the supply is running out.
Old 2012-04-27, 11:08 PM   #823
balm
Veteran

Quote:
if the antennas are pointed in the same direction, what is to prevent the VHF-HI antenna from receiving the strong VHF broadcasts that you are wanting "moderated" by using a UHF antenna. For strong local broadcasts, a notch filter is your best option that.
I should clarify, the 2 antennas will be pointed in the same direction, that is towards the single, weak VHF-HI, and moderate UHF channels (from the US). But, yes the yagi will probably pick up the strong VHF-Hi channels even though they are more than 60 degrees from the weak VHF-HI channel

Thanks
Old 2012-04-29, 04:39 PM   #824
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

^^^Then I recommend using a UVSJ to combine the antennas. This will take only VHF frequencies from the VHF antenna and UHF frequencies from the UHF antenna. This eliminates internal reflections reducing the combiner loss and also prevents phase interference between the two antennas.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:45 PM   #825
balm
Veteran

Thanks, I will have to verify how well a #13 yagi, will pickup the strong, off the side, #10, #12 - but I suspect t would be easy

I will let you know.