Cogeco Complaint and Rant Thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2009-01-06, 08:39 PM   #46
wgauci

DavidT is correct though, unless you're going to go with an antenna, you're going to get simsubed. It's the networks who put the sub request in, the cable/sat. provider are bound by the CRTC to sub.
Advertisement

Old 2009-01-07, 12:53 PM   #47
gobisbay

Cogeco's simsubbing sucks, but I'm sure it's no better elsewhere. I've read many posts on this forum that BellTV simsubs basically everything. I'm sure Cogeco would love not to have to provide simsubs for Canadian networks, but they also aren't trying to find a way not to simsub HD in areas with no terrestrial HD transmission.

The legislation that requires them to simsub in general is the same legislation that requires them to NOT sim-sub HD in my area. How about some stiff fines for going overboard with the sim-subbing?
Old 2009-01-07, 05:13 PM   #48
SuperCM

My solution has been to PVR the West Coast, no simsubs over there although sometimes CTV-HD West shows up.
Old 2009-01-08, 12:04 PM   #49
gobisbay

Generally that is what I do as well, but for programming that is on the same time East & West (for instance, the entire NFL playoffs) even the West feeds are sim-subbed. The best part about CTV's sim-subbing of the NFL playoffs is that more than half of the commercials are for CTV. They have the distribution rights to the entire NFL playoffs and ostensibly can't even sell the ad space. Last year, they must have shown hundreds of commercials for Jericho (which they had just picked up and hadn't shown before the new year) only to show 3 episodes before canning it and switching back to Law & Order: SVU in the same time slot.

Also, the Rose Bowl on ABC was somehow sim-subbed with TSN over the Seattle feed. The East feed wasn't sim-subbed, but Entertainment Tonight kicked in at 7:30 and remained there for 10-12 minutes until it was corrected.
Old 2009-01-08, 12:54 PM   #50
dantaipan
Rookie

I canceled cogeco cable in December and went OTA HD. The box rental and access fees are what really did it for me. I still have phone and data but now my bill is almost $100 less. For me, their HD service wasn't worth $1k+/yr. I have to say I am impressed with OTA HD and have no regrets.
Old 2009-01-08, 04:48 PM   #51
travisc
Veteran

How are you enjoying TSN HD and Sportsnet HD over the air?

Oh.
Old 2009-01-08, 07:46 PM   #52
asif9t9
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i hate tv View Post
I prefer a company with a superior product.. Customer service is down on the list, because if I am calling in for customer service, there is obviously an issue with my service....
I prefer watching my tv, not calling in
Amen. Seriously, I don't get why people are so excited over customer service. When a product works as it should, you never need to call CS.

By the way, all providers need to simsub, but what sucks is when the feed doesn't change until the show already starts....this season I keep missing the beginning of The Office. And some of the channels have bad pixelation, etc. Those are Cogeco issues.
Old 2009-01-09, 02:07 PM   #53
PuckPuck
Rookie

I honestly do both. Given I live in Windsor, I can pick up all major networks OTA HD. When superbowl rolls in, we'll watch the ESPN pre-game via the TSN feed, then when the game starts, we'll switch over to OTA and watch the game in 1080 res, with American commercials of course
Old 2009-01-16, 04:50 AM   #54
sensualspirit

Hey guys,

I live in the Windsor area now, & when I moved here I was very very impressed by Cogeco, except for the fact that you have to wait all day for them to show up & the first few times I had to get my stuff installed it was a nightmare with techis not showing up.

Recently I was considering getting their HD so I could tape 2 shows at once b/c I have to phase out VHS.

I was misinformed by 2 different people on the price (not their fault, I was talking to tech support, not billing) & when I finally spoke to a manager in billing & she gave me the real price that was too high for me, I asked her to lower it for me & she wouldn't.

It was just her attitude that NO, they weren't going to give me a lower rate AND they were about to raise my entire price (I have cable, Internet & phone w/ them) b/c I had been on a special. I didn't know this, & so I asked if she could keep me on that same price for a little more time & she wouldn't.

I once agreed with a few posters that Cogeco is WAY better than Rogers when it even comes to understanding English, but after being treated that way by that manager, & her telling me she didn't care if I switched (she didn't say that, but when I said I will consider switching, she said fine), I am no longer that loyal customer I once was.

I know Rogers wouldn't have done that to me. I was with them for 15 years just on Internet alone, 25 years for TV & they will do anything to keep a client.

Customer service matters b/c you will always encounter problems. There's no such thing as smooth sailing forever. Life changes, so do companies.

So long as a company fixes the problem in a speedy manner or credits me for lost service, that's all I really care about.

Thanks for sharing

Michelle
Old 2009-01-16, 10:46 AM   #55
DavidT

That really doesn't make any sense...

You're mad at Cogeco because they aren't treating you differently than others and because a special deal you were on (which you would have been made aware of when you signed up, they don't just randomly give out deals) expired?

The reason they won't give you a deal when you said you're leaving is because they know a lot of people use that as an excuse. Not to mention, you can't switch back to Rogers because both companies can't serve the same area. Cogeco is making plenty of money on their great services, so they don't need to waste their time dealing with customers who are complaining over issues that are not their fault.

If you enjoy the actual services you are provided with, and technical situations or errors on Cogeco's part are solved in a timely manner, then that's all that matters.

You can't complain to Cogeco about not being treated specially just because you can't afford the services you signed up for.
Old 2009-01-16, 06:39 PM   #56
sensualspirit

You sound VERY angry. Do you work for Cogeco?

Every customer is treated differently depending on the circumstances, & while I didn't necessarily think I would get a discount, I was hoping they would work with me so they'd keep me & also make more money from me by selling me other products & services. The price was just too high.

It was more her attitude & how she let me down that irked me.

They didn't care & it seems to me that you think they shouldn't b/c they know I'm SOL since I can't go anywhere else.

So that speaks VOLUMES about what kind of company Cogeco really is.

You can always tell the personality of a company when they are a monopoly.

I will file this away & at the first opportunity to me, I will switch, as I don't deal with companies who really don't care about their clients. Also if I were to move & have more choices other than just Cogeco, guess who I won't be picking.

Now if you are going to continue to be angry just b/c of my opinion, there's not need to post back.

Thank you

Michelle
Old 2009-01-16, 08:17 PM   #57
asif9t9
Veteran

No doubt Rogers is better than Cogeco. Everyone I know with Rogers just phones them up once a year and renews a deal for their free PVR or whatever. No hassle. Cogeco actually argue with you. When I told the girl I was cancelling their interner package, she gave me some attitude about how I'd come back when I realized their internet was better. Whatever. I am with them for tv since I don't want to bother with Satellite. That's the main question you need to ask yourself. Are you willing to go with satellite.
Old 2009-01-16, 08:47 PM   #58
sensualspirit

Rogers was better, but w/ the digital phone I had HUGE problems in one house & it took almost a year for one smart techi to FINALLY figure out what the problem was.

In all fairness to Cogeco when they screwed up when I first started with them, they gave me credits, but I knew they weren't used to that & it was somewhat like pulling teeth.

PVR, that's what it's called LOL

I can't go w/ Satellite b/c Satellite STILL hasn't resolved the issue of allowing me to be able to tape like 5-7 different shows at the same time.

I would have switched ages ago had they cared enough to solve that problem.

Thanks

Michelle
Old 2009-01-16, 11:42 PM   #59
DavidT

I don't work for Cogeco, and I'm not angry. I just don't see how you can be upset with them for not caving.

As far as I am concerned, if the company is providing you with the services you are paying for, that those services are working as intended, and that any issues with those services are corrected without any fusses, then that's a job well done.

The way I see it, is that you're upset because Cogeco isn't willing to offer you more than what you're paying for.

I know that if I ran a company like this, I also would not be throwing deals at anyone who asked like Rogers does, otherwise I would have to do the same for everyone, losing money in the process. Rogers is a larger company than Cogeco, they cover more areas and offer more services than Cogeco does and thus cover more areas of the industry, which in turn leads to more sources of income. In other words, they make more money and thus have the ability to hand out free stuff like they do.

But what's a free PVR here and there if the service isn't working as you would expect? When we used to be with Rogers for various services, it didn't work well. Sure, they were willing to offer some compensations for us, but what's the point if it doesn't work?

You can be surprised and pleased if a company offers you free offers for nothing, but you can't be upset when they don't.
Old 2009-01-17, 03:33 PM   #60
sensualspirit

You CLEARLY didn't understand me twice now.

I NEVER asked for anything for free & yes, businesses do have to offer things for good rates in order to keep customers, that's the cost of doing business.

Now I'm done with this conversation.

All the best

Michelle