Review: Sears - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Retailer Reviews

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 5 16.67%
Somewhat Satisfied 12 40.00%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 4 13.33%
Extremely Dissatisfied 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-09, 09:26 AM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Review: Sears

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at Sears.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-10-09, 09:27 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-08-10, 01:06 AM   #3
BPWingN

I am quite dissapointed with Sears. They had a sale in their Outpost store last week.....take an additional 40% off!
I found a great deal on a leather jacket, and ordered it, with me to pick it up at my nearest Sears. It sold out online very quickly after I had ordered mine.
I went to pick it up at my local Sears today, and the very kind lady behind the counter went to grab it for me. She came out with a bag marked with my tag, saying my name with "Black Leather Bomber Jacket" on the tag. Inside the clear bag she had, was a beige ladies blazer. The service lady was fantastic, looked everywhere for my mistagged jacket, called the warehouse, but, as I thought, the item was sold out, so I was offered a refund.
...plus a ten dollar gift certificate.
Again...the service person was fantastic......but......who is the moron packaging the items?
Old 2009-08-10, 01:18 AM   #4
ScaryBob
Veteran

I gave up on Sears after receiving a number of defective goods that had obviously been repackaged and resold. Then there are the products that are overpriced so they can be put "on sale." Buyer beware with Sears mail order, at least in Canada.

The outlet stores are not always a good deal either. Seconds or discontinued products are available for 40% off but don't forget that they often sell some of those products for 40% off in the regular catalog.
ScaryBob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-08-10, 09:14 PM   #5
wgauci

I find I have to be very selective with what I buy from Sears. You can catch some good deals and I regularly haggle with the sales people in electronics and can usually get them down on the price. I don't find them pressing overly expensive accessories though.

Along the lines of what ScaryBob pointed out about their "on sale" practices, I remember a few years back they were fined a hefty amount for habitually running so called sales and never really having most items at regular price long enough to validate their claims of having something on Sale. It stops becoming a sales price when it's on "Sale" all year.
Old 2009-08-10, 10:57 PM   #6
nickleinonen

i've gotten some great deals on the outlet online, but i have been pooched there before. i got a good deal on some leather casual shoes, so i ordered 2 pair [black & brown] didn't check them until i got home. opened up the brown ones and they were right size color and they fit great. opened up the black ones that were labeled right on the box [size & color] but inside was a pair of pink ladies sandels. had to drive back to the mall where i picked them up and return them. tried to get them to reorder the black ones but not in stock anymore.. some of the stuff on the outlet site is higher than regular street prices from other retail stores [tools & electronics]
Old 2009-08-10, 11:58 PM   #7
Hazmat

I am very happy with Sears. My latest purchase, at what I thought was a very good price, was a Sectional Sofa for my movie room. The wife and I looked everywhere for the perfect one that would be right for us. We spent weeks visiting low-end to high-end stores and found nothing. What I felt was to be my final day looking, we were travelling down the Deerfoot past Deerfoot Meadows, in Calgary and I saw Sears. The wife and I both never thought of looking at Sears, don't know why, just didn't thnking of it I guess.

Anyway we went inside; low and behold we were there no more than 10 mintues and we had found the perfect sectional, the right size along with the correct colour. We purchased it on the spot. The sales people were very nice and the purchase was painless. The only problem now is that when I go to watch a movie, the sofa is so comfortable that I have tendency to fall asleep.

Regardless it's a great couch and it was a hassle free purchase from Sears.

Last edited by Hazmat; 2009-08-10 at 11:59 PM. Reason: more info
Hazmat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-08-11, 12:00 AM   #8
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
I remember a few years back they were fined a hefty amount for habitually running so called sales and never really having most items at regular price long enough to validate their claims
Sears often has items for up to 40% off. The problem is that the "introductory sale price" is typically equal to the retail price anywhere else. It goes like this... Introductory sale price, then "full price" for a short time and then a clearance sale. Many of these items are Sears brands so its difficult to prove what the real price should be. I've seen the occasional brand name that was a good deal but Sears regular prices are typically full retail or higher.
ScaryBob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-08-11, 08:41 AM   #9
JamesK
Veteran

Quote:
You can catch some good deals and I regularly haggle with the sales people in electronics and can usually get them down on the price. I don't find them pressing overly expensive accessories though.
They dot't have to press the overly expensive accessories. The major items are expensive enough. When I was shopping for a Blu-ray player recently, they had a Samsung player at twice the cost of the same item at Future Shop. I learned a long time ago, that you don't want to buy electronic equipment and department stores.
JamesK is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-08-11, 10:51 AM   #10
TKG26
Veteran

Bought 4 major kitchen appliances, they price matched and beat by 10% Futureshops online sale that had ended the day before.... They dropped about 1800$ from there prices to the FS prices and included free delivery... Pretty positive buying expereince. I much rather deal with adults 30-50 vs the fresh out of skool kids of FS when spending a few thousand dollars.
Old 2009-08-11, 11:58 AM   #11
dabell

I bought some pine furniture from Sears online with delivery. One box came to my door, one to the catalog outlet due to weight. Shipping and ordering was good, good customer contact regarding the time to arrive.

The furniture unfortunately was horrible - stated as real wood, was not, doors were different sizes, different colours of laminite for the trim, etc, etc.

However - Sears was excelllent to deal with - when I first spoke regarding the real wood/particle board issue they said they would talk to buyers/suppliers. Called me back the next day to inform me the website description would be updated to state solid wood drawer fronts. When returning both pieces due to the issues they were great on the phone and in the catalogue depot.

I may not buy the "web only" items again, but I would recommend Sears for their service.
dabell is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-06-15, 12:13 PM   #12
Rideauman

My wife and I purchased a sectional sofa and a reclining chair from Sears back in March. They requested full payment on both pieces, as we were getting a custom order (off standard colour). Full payment left me with an uneasy feeling, but assumed that since I was dealing with a store the size of Sears, I shouldn't have any issues. I was promised 4-8 weeks for delivery.

Needless to say, I still don't have my furniture. The sales rep that I bought from has not really provided an explanation as to when I will get my delivery -"backordered" with no timeline. I've called Sears Customer Service - they indicate August (for a March purchase), indicating that is tentative.

To date, I've been pretty calm about this, as I understand "stuff" happens when ordering outside the norm. However, this is starting to verge on ridiculous. Not impressed.
Rideauman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-06-15, 04:59 PM   #13
cfraser

^ I ran into this once before too. Long wait after paying upfront. Continual change of expected delivery date. Eventually they sent something that was similar, but not quite the same. It would have sold for less than I paid, and I think they were trying to get rid of what they sent. Nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't what I ordered and what I paid for. I got the distinct impression they were trying to wear me down. However, I *did* agree to what they sent, sight unseen, and they probably would have taken it back. It's the process that was most annoying, not like Sears CS of old. I also get the impression they advertise and "sell" stuff they don't have, that they don't have nearly the control over their suppliers like they did in the "old days" when tons of the larger stuff they sold was made in Canada...
cfraser is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-06-15, 10:14 PM   #14
asd

I have mixed feelings about Sears. We moved from a major centre, where high end appliances abound, to Annapolis Valley, NS, where closest high end centre is Montreal. We thought Sears a safe choice, since many other Calgary high end options weren't going to work in the Maritimes. Sears did OK but not great. We got our 15K worth of appliances late and the dryer was dented. They sent the wrong range hood; they sent the wrong icemaker. Other than that, after almost a year now, we might soon have our ice maker but I just had a message it would be delayed another month.

The strange thing is how the commissioned sales work; we had to deal with Sears in New Minas, NS over the problems and they got no commissions but the guy who caused the problems and got the big commission was back in Calgary, selling like crazy to others. The last icemaker issue resulted in the Sears agent in Calgary no longer returning our calls.

Two more issues: When we had to return dented dryer we had to pay for a new one and wait for refund on the dented one, carrying charges for both. The same applied for the range hood. Then, the sales rep went on holiday and we didn't get the refund for over a month, apparently, because the store manager found the claim on her desk, had no no idea why, and let it sit there. Try that approach in a real job like healthcare. My former students would have loved that excuse for late posting of their grades too.

Sure, I'm being unrealistic but I think a dollar spent in Nova Scotia should be as good as a dollar spent in Calgary, taxes included. I shouldn't need to pester employees in NS to get the service owed by Sear rep in Calgary either.
asd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-23, 11:06 AM   #15
Rideauman

Just a quick follow up... My furniture arrived this week - 16 week delivery against the 4-8 weeks promised. My sales rep promised me a discount based upon missed delivery date. He is now not returning calls from me. I am disappointed, but not surprised. Goodbye Sears - no more business from me.
Rideauman is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
retailer, review, sears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.