Toshiba Regza XV545 Cinema Series - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2008-11-28, 02:53 AM   #31
Dadius

You lucky *******.

Hey how is the SRT upconverting techology working Does it make a difference over previous Regza models for non-HD sources?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-11-29, 04:53 PM   #32
jackstowage

Default Bring back narrow bezels

I am looking for the narrow bezel too.

There seems to be a lot of rejects of the 550 line due to shipping damage(Costco US / UPS). Maybe Toshiba can't protect them well enough .
Old 2008-11-29, 05:29 PM   #33
DanTou

You won't be disappointed.

I have the 52LX177, 120Hz from last year. As good as anything I've seen. Excellent with HD, very good with SD.
Old 2008-12-02, 12:16 PM   #34
JesseJ
Veteran

I have the 42LX177 and echo DanTou's comment.
The 545's are being blown out in some places. Shop around.
Old 2008-12-03, 04:52 PM   #35
joudbren

I just picked up the 52" V545 last week and VERY pleased so far. It had everything I was looking for including the smart zoom function and the matte screen is fantastic. I have two large windows in my living room so I cannot control the room lighting and this one is almost as good (for glare) as my two year old 46" Samsung which this replaces. A LOT of the new LCD's have glossy screens now that are just impossible for me to live with in my environment.

I know that Toshiba sales have been lagging behind Samsung, Sony and Sharp in LCD for the last few years so if this is part of their new generation to regain some lost ground then mission accomplished. Wow. I'm still stunned at how much better the image quality is compared to my 2 year old Samsung and I was pretty happy with that one! Black levels are first rate and the range and control of all adjustments is excellent with lots of automatic controls as well if you don't want to fuss.

James

P.S. Picked mine up at Sears as they matched pricing with FS and give you 30 days to try it out. Their two year zero interest payment plan didn't hurt either!

P.S.S. www.tweaktv.com has setting recommendations on their website for this model as well if you want to give it a try. http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...2xv545u-2.html I haven't had the time yet but maybe this weekend.
Old 2008-12-03, 05:01 PM   #36
ineedcolor

I bought this TV last week from Best Buy and it's simply the best TV I have ever owned.

After dialing back the settings and making a few simple adjustments, the picture is awesome. Deep, full colors and crystal clear. The SRT mode does make a difference as far as I can see on lower channels and it's adjustable to your taste.

I highly recommend this model.
Old 2008-12-04, 06:42 PM   #37
swedebc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedcolor View Post
I bought this TV last week from Best Buy and it's simply the best TV I have ever owned.

After dialing back the settings and making a few simple adjustments, the picture is awesome. Deep, full colors and crystal clear. The SRT mode does make a difference as far as I can see on lower channels and it's adjustable to your taste.

I highly recommend this model.
There have been some reports that the SRT function is greyed out (not available) when you hook up a cable providers STB to this TV using HDMI cables and that it works if you switch to component cables.
How are you hooked up?
Old 2008-12-04, 10:50 PM   #38
ineedcolor

I'm using component, my 1st gen HD box (Cogeco) only has a DVI out connector on the back so I stuck with the component cables.

The picture is good enough for me anyway...
Old 2008-12-06, 12:07 AM   #39
DanTou

You can buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor for less than $10, and really have a digital picture. This is the way I plug my computer into my TV. Works perfect.

It's amazing when you get near a 52" TV and look at a computer picture (like this message I'm typing in front of my TV) with absolutely no blur, each pixel perfectly aligned. Of course, in normal use, you may want to move a little futher than one foot from the TV... It leaves room for the knees when you sit.
Old 2008-12-10, 03:29 PM   #40
Rusty14
Rookie

Default Video Only loves this unit

I was in Video Only the other day (may be West-coast US only chain, not sure). Their sales reps are pimpin' the XV545U like no tomorrow. The rep acknolwedged that they got a good price from Toshiba (or the distributor, however their channel works) so clear they are have better margins on this unit. Still, the hard sell on this was akin to a used car sale.

That said, the image certainly supported his opinion. The unit sat sandwiched between a Sony 52XBR-6 and a Samsung LN52A650. Although they were only running a video loop from one of the manufacturers so comparison test was contained/limited, the Toshiba picture was noticably superior -- more accurate and vivid colors, comparable blacks, brighter picture. So much so that I thought they may have tinkered with the settings on the Sony and Samsung in order to make the Toshiba look better. But perhaps my natural suspicion of hard-sell sales folks is getting the best of me.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether Video Only's bias for towards this unit is truly based on performance vs. margins?
Old 2008-12-17, 09:55 AM   #41
andre22333
Rookie

Default Having Buyers Remorse

I will admit, I'm new to HDTV. Im an AVID gamer, who wanted a great TV to play my XBOX360 and PS3. I also use it to watch football and Heroes, mainly. I bought the 52" TV because of its HUGE screen obviously, and 4 HDMI inputs so I can connect my games and HDDVR no problem.

Here is my issue with this TV, if it is a simple problem please forgive my ignorance. When veiwing TV the SD channels are displayed in 4:3 format. Yes there is a button on the remote to zoom in to 16:9 but its fake 16:9. The screen image is cut off around the edges. The image just literally zooms in, it doesnt format to fit the screen.

I have friends with HDTVs and all thier channels are displayed in 16:9 with no zooming necessary. After dropping over $2000 for this TV im feeling a little depressed that some (actually most) channels are only 4:3. Is there anything I can do?

Also PIP would have been nice.
Old 2008-12-17, 10:50 AM   #42

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

1. For 4:3 images, you can learn to watch them as 4:3. After all, that's what you did on your 4:3 TV. This provides the best picture quality and no distortion and since it's an LCD, there's no burn in concern.

2. If you want to stretch 4:3, you can do so without zooming, rather stretching the image horizontally. Check out the following threads.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=96891

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074 Stretch modes

And the following post, useful for those new to the forum, please read it and the appropriate links.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2008-12-17, 12:47 PM   #43
Veee

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre22333 View Post
I will admit, I'm new to HDTV.... When veiwing TV the SD channels are displayed in 4:3 format. Yes there is a button on the remote to zoom in to 16:9 but its fake 16:9. The screen image is cut off around the edges. The image just literally zooms in, it doesnt format to fit the screen.
You should be using the TheaterWide 1 picture size if you don't want to see the side bars on a 4:3 input source. It will strecth but won't zoom-in the picture - just like every other HDTV.
Though personally, I leave it on Natural mode.

Last edited by 57; 2008-12-17 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Quote shortened.
Old 2008-12-18, 10:40 AM   #44
ishoong

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
You should be using the TheaterWide 1 picture size if you don't want to see the side bars on a 4:3 input source. It will strecth but won't zoom-in the picture - just like every other HDTV.
Though personally, I leave it on Natural mode.
No, the TheaterWide 1 from Toshiba is the best stretch mode in the market (except the king of display....Pioneer). After having the 545 for 2 months now, I am quite pleased with it. It is still not a Kuro but with 1/5 of the price, it is not bad at all.
Old 2008-12-19, 07:39 PM   #45
rdrr2008

reviews for LCD TVs including the Toshiba XV545U

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...xv545u_lcd_tv/

Tags
auto view, cinema series, regza, srt, toshiba, xv545