My HTPC setup saga... continued. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2008-06-05, 01:11 PM   #1
toybox

Default My HTPC setup saga... continued.

Well here I am again, muddling through all the hardware software issues...

1. Finally pieced together all the hardware and hooked up to LCD and Projector.
2. Major fiddling with diplay settings (ATI Radeon 3450HD.) Finally got a semi-decent picture from both.
3. Finally installed Vista MCE, setting up channels through ATSC and cable. Thanks to "Greenbutton".

Now I got another question....

Once I play "live TV" or pre-recorded videos, I get some stutter on the picture and sound. I have tried a few different codecs offered, which improved it but didn't take it away. It happens just the same on ATSC tuner as it does on NTSC tuner. It happens whether I run an app. in the background or not. Anyone have any advice as to getting it cleaned up better. THe computer should be plenty fast to handle it.

Asus p5k-e
2 Gig Ram.
MSI-Theater Tuner Card
ATI-Radeon HD3450

Any help would be great! THanks to everyone who has helped so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-06-05, 01:17 PM   #2
ClayC
Rookie

What speed CPU are you running? Also you should not need any other codec's installed with VMC unless it is something like DivX. Your tuner should have its own drivers which might install something specific of a codec for it. Are you using VMC to watch Live TV or another program?
Old 2008-06-05, 02:53 PM   #3
toybox

I'm running Dual Core 2.66G CPU. I ran some Codec searcher program which lets me toggle through different codecs, mostly Microsoft and Cinepak I think?? I'm watching LiveTV and other programs through VMC. I did watch some pre-recorded stuff through WMP and same thing. I tried watching Live TV through PowerDVD as well and still same thing.
I'm not an expert so hopefully you understand what I'm trying to spit out.

thanks
Old 2008-06-05, 03:09 PM   #4
granduncle

Try to play the "offending" video with VLC (get it here if you don't have it).

If it plays fine, you must have installed some codec packs and you have some DirectShow issues.
If it has the same problems, something major is wrong and the simplest would be a OS reinstall.
Your CPU is more than enough to play SD video...

Do you by any chance have full Nero installed?
Old 2008-06-05, 04:32 PM   #5
toybox

I don't have Nero at all. I'll try VLC on my recorded video. Not sure what to do about the live Tv problem though. (If it's one and the same??)
I'll post results when I get home.

thanks
Old 2008-06-05, 05:59 PM   #6
granduncle

I asked about Nero because even if you only install the burner component, it will dump over a dozen DS filters on your system.

I also can't understand, where does the Cinepak decoder come from?
Old 2008-06-06, 12:01 AM   #7
toybox

My bad....Cyberlink. I was going from memory at work. I'm home now and I've deleted all extra players except WM and obviously the Vista MCE program. WHen I run Live TV the CPU only jumps from around 23 to 77 max. When I watch pre-recorded material it barely regesters...around 10 or so.
I'm going to download VLC and try that, but still get that darn stutter on ATSC and NTSC (So it's not an antenna problem). Maybe resolution on LCD???? Wierd....

edit...I downloaded VLC and tried at as well on some downloaded HD content. Still stuttered abit and still the picture isn't as crisp as it should be. I'm thinking it has to be either a bad codec??? (I'm sounding like I know what that is ) or maybe something to do with my video set up? (although the picture is great looking at pictures, desktop etc...)

HELP....?????

edit edit.... I also found out that it even stutters when I try to play music from the MCE program. Not alot but just enough to be noticeable and annoying. Maybe that helps diagnose problem??
Old 2008-06-06, 09:40 AM   #8
granduncle

If VLC, a player that is using its own codecs/filters only can't play a SD video on a 2.66GHz C2D, that is trouble....

Since this is a DIY project, it shouldn't be hard: nuke-n-pave, i.e. wipe the drive (system partition) clean and start from scratch.
From my experience this will take much less time than hunting the problem...

EDIT: Are your HD files not transport streams (.ts) by any chance? Or high bitrate mkv's? wmv?
Old 2008-06-06, 11:43 AM   #9
PPL4GOLF

Try MPV filter (mpeg2decfilter.ax)

Download it, save it to system32 folder and right click to register it.

This coded seems to play the best (performance and quality) in different systems.
Old 2008-06-06, 12:25 PM   #10
toybox

I will try that thanks...

Would it make that much of a difference if I am using an IDE drive? I was going to wait to get a SATA drive eventually but was told by the dealer for now you won't notice a difference.
I have been trying "live TV" in MCE - Recorded Video in MCE - Recorded Video in VLC - Music in MCE - and Music with WMP. All with stutters... (to my knowledge no .ts files or hig bit-rate files)

I'll keep you all posted...
Old 2008-06-06, 01:00 PM   #11
toybox

Can seem to register that .ax file. Windows tells me there is an error and won't do it. I'll keep trying
Old 2008-06-06, 02:56 PM   #12
PPL4GOLF

Here is what I do (I use WindowXP SP2):

1. download the MPV zip package
2. unzip into a folder
3. copy the ax file you find in the folder onto the SYSTEM32 folder in WINDOWS. The SYSTEM32 folder should have a bunch of other ax files
4. right click to register the ActiveX
5. I confirm it took by clicking property when I am playing a MPEG file in WMP11.
Old 2008-06-06, 06:17 PM   #13
granduncle

Right-clicking does not produce an option to register a filter in standard WinXP.
You can make it appear, but registry editing is required.

To register a filter run "regsvr32 filtername.ax" from command line.

And when doing this in Vista, better create a bat file and "run as administrator".
Old 2008-06-06, 08:47 PM   #14
toybox

Got it!

Had to log in as administrator and it registered. Unfortunately it did little to take away the stutter. I'm feeling as if there is stuttering in Vista MCE, outside it, basically anytime and through every program as soon as I play anytype of music or video file. It must be either the OS or maybe the harddrive?? It is an IDE one, but it "should" be fine.

I think I have to buy a SATA drive - and do a complete re-install of Vista. I'll try to load only the essential drivers and programs. (WHAT A PAIN!!!) And see what that does.
Old 2008-06-07, 09:25 AM   #15
ClayC
Rookie

You shouldnt need the SATA drive unless your current drive is a laptop drive (2.5"/3800 RPM) or an older 5400RPM 3.5" drive. Even then that should not cause the problems, there just seems to be an issue with your Windows install.

Also are you using all the newest drivers for your hardware? What about all the current Vista updates?