U.S. DTV News & Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-10-09, 12:20 PM   #46
videobruce

Interesting that chs. 5, & 13 are the most popular in their respective bands.
I'm surprised any elected to revert back to the lousy (noisey) low band.
videobruce is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-10-09, 08:21 PM   #47
GerryB

Im not sure I would want to be one of the few broadcasters in the low VHF band knowing full well that most of the technical support and antenna deisgn will be in the UHF and high VHF.

Will be interesting for some rural TV dx'ers during E-layer propagation to see if they can get digital on channel 2 and 3, etc from 1000 miles away during the solar flares. I doubt it though. Whenever they have happened in the past I always remember huge fluctuations in the phase - the audio would be from a channel in Georgia while the video would be from another station two states away, for example.
GerryB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-10-11, 11:53 PM   #48
Walter Dnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
VHF-LO (total 38 or 2%)
Ch. 2 - 7 stations
Ch. 3 - 8 stations
Ch. 4 - 2 stations
Ch. 5 - 13 stations
Ch. 6 - 8 stations
So why don't they just tell 17 out of 1800 stations to abandon channels 2/3/4 and hand them over to the "White Space Coalition", and Google can stop whining? As someone who receives weak remote TV signals, I dread the possibility of Joe cranking up their device like the CB nutcases of years ago.
Old 2008-10-15, 07:31 PM   #49
99gecko
Veteran

From Broadcastengineering
TV antennas getting congressional attention

Quote:
Last week Sen. Bernard Sanders, an independent from Vermont, said the FCC has failed to warn over-the-air TV viewers that they may need new antennas to get DTV reception and that the commission has inaccurately downplayed the likelihood of the necessary modifications to those antennas.
...<snip>...
Sanders cited the study by Centris, a consulting firm, which said the FCC had underestimated the homes that would need antennas to receive over-the-air signals. He also cited a study of the digital transition in Britain that said that 35 percent of consumers would need to buy new antennas.
And living in Canada, this didn't even cross my mind???
Quote:
Sanders, who is from Vermont, noted it was dangerous for viewers to install outside antennas in very cold weather. He envisioned the risk to senior citizens trying to climb onto the roof in the Vermont winter.
Yikes! At least in Canada they lucked out by picking a date in August. I wonder if that was even a consideration?
99gecko is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-10-16, 10:45 AM   #50
videobruce

Quote:
Sanders, who is from Vermont, noted it was dangerous for viewers to install outside antennas in very cold weather. He envisioned the risk to senior citizens trying to climb onto the roof in the Vermont winter.
Gee, I don't know what the problem is. I always have my 83 year old mother do all of my antenna work.
Is this guy on drugs?
Quote:
At least in Canada they lucked out by picking a date in August.
If anyone waits untill the last minute, that is their problem. I can't beleive "rabbit ears" are still being sold. Note, I said "rabbit ears", not indoor antennas.
Old 2008-10-16, 12:35 PM   #51
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
I can't beleive "rabbit ears" are still being sold. Note, I said "rabbit ears", not indoor antennas.
Well, if you are using a 2-bay bowtie as an indoor UHF antenna, a set of "rabbit ears" are about the only indoor option for picking up DTV stations that will be reverting to VHF.
roger1818 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-10-23, 06:18 PM   #52
SanityRemoved
Rookie

Quote:
If anyone waits untill the last minute, that is their problem.
Maybe Buffalo broadcasters have been kind but in Rochester signal strength has varied since OTA DTV began - not in the expected ways of weather and seasonal changes but long periods i.e. months of stronger or weaker signals - so it has been difficult to determine whether or not the homeowners current antenna will suffice.

Add to that the move of some channels currently in the upper UHF band to their previous VHF locations. I for one will not be silly come February and venture on the roof, but someone's anger is going to outweigh their common sense and I foresee accidents after the cut off date.
SanityRemoved is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-10-24, 12:08 AM   #53
videobruce

You should be in the Erie market. Most of the stations aren't at full power or in HD.
Old 2008-10-29, 12:07 AM   #54
SanityRemoved
Rookie

I have a feeling that only two in Rochester are at full power, WXXI and WUHF.

I hope the Canadians are learning from this and start calling on their government to get broadcasters to adhere to a better transition than the US is experiencing.

People should have been able by now to determine whether or not their existing antenna would do the job. Maybe come February I should write Hillary asking her to come help me on my roof if reception gets worse.
SanityRemoved is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-10, 02:33 PM   #55
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default "people out there really do live under rocks"

Quote:
CTAM '08: Communication Needed on DTV Transition

Kim Cannon of Time Warner Cable's Wilmington, N.C., system says many people "really do live under rocks"

by Linda Haugsted -- Multichannel News -- Broadcasting & Cable, 11/10/2008 12:32:00 PM

BOSTON--You can’t over-communicate the message when it comes to the digital television transition, say executives who have made the jump or experimented with a drop of analog, for a portion of “people out there really do live under rocks.”
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6613142.html

Sadly I suspect that we'll have similar situations in Canada no matter what level of press bombardment of the topic.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-10, 09:09 PM   #56
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default DTV Stakeholders Mark 100 Days Until Analog Shut-Off

Just 100 days to go in the USA:

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/art....jsp?id=576818
Old 2009-01-07, 12:54 AM   #57
tricky

Default U.S. Out of funding for DTV switch

The US program is out of money it seems

Six weeks from today, TV signals will turn digital, but a program intended to ease the transition, is out of cash.
The government set aside $1.3 billion to provide $40 coupons to help people pay for the converter boxes. But less than two months before the switch, the program is out of money.
If you applied for a coupon before December 31st you should be in the clear, and recieve it about four weeks after your application date.

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/37183794.html
Old 2009-01-07, 02:57 AM   #58
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass), chairman of the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, said Friday that "it is becoming increasingly clear that at minimum Congress may need to quickly pass additional funding for the converter box program in early January to prevent any delay in coupon availability or issuance."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122902016.html

I think its a matter of budgetary timing.
Old 2009-01-07, 01:27 PM   #59
StillRYE

I think they have bigger problems to worry about other then making sure people can watch tv.
Old 2009-01-07, 01:50 PM   #60
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington

OTA television is "too big to fail"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.