Brama Telecom Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > VoIP Providers

Old 2008-04-03, 11:19 AM   #1
IndiJones

Default Brama Telecom Discussion

They're offering pretty cheap voip lines @ $7.70/Month with 16 features and $9.90/Month with Unlimited Canadian LD. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Last edited by IndiJones; 2008-04-03 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-07-20, 02:09 PM   #2
pedro

I am also wondering if anyone has experience with this company. They are located in Toronto, and it looks like they can port numbers from a large number of area codes.

Currently, their deal is $9.90/mo which includes Canada-wide long distance. Other countries at per-minute rates (e.g. US is $0.02/min).
Old 2008-07-20, 11:14 PM   #3
Mobidick
Rookie

I have subscribed to Brama last month. I bought my own SPA 2102 from Canada Computers and had it activated. So far so good. Voice quality is good and it even works with my buildings intercom.
Old 2008-07-20, 11:37 PM   #4
325xi

What about fine print?
For this price they must have some funny limitations, like one of the providers I won't name here limits users to a list of 50 in- and out- numbers used at the same month...
Old 2008-07-20, 11:57 PM   #5
Mobidick
Rookie

The Terms and Conditions state that unlimited free calls are 4700 min/month which is good enough for me and my wife. I'm checking my call history online everyday and the charge is zero. The total monthly charge in my account is $11.75 (9.90+911 Fee+tax) and the first month is free. When I signed up, they had a promo of free 500 min/month international long distance to land phones for a country of choice from a list of countries until the end of summer (August). I chose USA and the calls are free. I was charged $89 for the router but they credited me back the whole amount 2 days later. I'm using Rogers Lite internet (upload speed 256 kbps) and using the same speed for voice upload. Sometimes when I'm using internet, voice cracks up. May have to use Express. Other than that, it seems ok for the price.
Old 2008-07-21, 02:31 PM   #6
325xi

Do they allow BYOD (bring your own device)?
Old 2008-07-24, 12:56 AM   #7
Mobidick
Rookie

I'm using my own SPA-2102. I called them with it's serial no. and they activated it. They sell the same device in their website.
Old 2008-07-24, 09:40 PM   #8
325xi

The question is - can you now login to it as admin?
Usually remotely provisioned devices get new password, unknown to the device owner...
Old 2008-07-27, 01:05 AM   #9
Mobidick
Rookie

I programmed the device myself from admin. Brama provided the proxy registration info, user ID and password. I just input those info and saved. Restarted cable modem, then computer and then SPA-2102. Client can program the device as they want. I even changed my Caller ID. Since the router has 2 phone jacks, I programmed the other jack for VOIPWISE and it works. Only thing is that I get charged by VOIPWISE 1 cent/min for calling the free destinations. That's another story.
Old 2008-08-02, 11:07 AM   #10
325xi

Do they allow to set your caller id? This is important, because many don't - you set it, but they override it with the number they gave you.

Another point - 9.90 for just Canada, I dunno, it's not that good. Some offer Canada and US for that price, or a bit higher, just a bit: voipgo, and another provider I'm not allowed to mention on this forum

You guys should always see if you need a package - you can have "pay as you go" for 0.5c/min to Canada, so unless you talk A LOT it may eventually be cheaper.
Old 2008-08-26, 12:13 AM   #11
325xi

Any update on your experience with them so far? Outages? Echo? Anything else?
Old 2008-08-28, 12:18 AM   #12
Nuke777
Rookie

has any one else tried this service and cares to share their experience?
Old 2008-09-18, 08:35 PM   #13
akvr
Rookie

Default Fax

Did anyone try sending faxes thru Brama tel ?
Old 2008-10-03, 07:19 PM   #14
drsassafras
Rookie

Default One Thumb Up, One Down

I was hopeful when I signed up with them.

There is no restrictions that I know of but:

They do claim that they have phone tech support, but its only a call center that records the problems and forwards them to support. It really sucks. The my voice mail quits every month and acts like it records messages.... They just disappear. The tech guys can take days to get to you, they are often not very helpful ether. It seems as though they have a set list of problems they will look at, and they don't go out of there way to serve you.

Communication is very poor.

Wish I signed up with someone else. Am looking for a new company. Again.... sigh.

Last edited by Styvas; 2008-10-03 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Removed reference to banned VoIP provider
Old 2008-10-03, 09:56 PM   #15
Northern_Man
Rookie

Default 4 Months, fingers crossed

I have been using Brama for 4 months now, and am generally satisfied with the service. I have had a few minor issues, but nothing bad enough to cancel them. For example, the last time I called for chicken delivery, they couldn't hear me, so I just called with my cell instead. The call quality is not a good as POTS, but better than a cell phone call.

For me, getting all the calling features, at that price point makes up for the minor issues.