Is HDNet no longer on free preview? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-07-26, 09:45 PM   #1
ryank1

Default Is HDNet no longer on free preview?

Does anyone know why HDNet is no longer part of the regular HD package? The channel is a huge disappointment, but I enjoyed watching the weekly movie (which pales in comparison to the U.S. HDNet Movies counterpart). It seems so random how these channels just disappear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-07-26, 10:02 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642

The free preview ended in January. If you have been receiving it free since then, you got an extended preview. Consider it a Rogers perk.

The rest of us have been "paying for it" in the HD Specialty Pack. Showcase and NAtional Geographic remain in free preview but are also part of the "paid" package.
Old 2007-07-26, 10:34 PM   #3
billy416

Location: Toronto / Rogers / SA4250HD / LG 26LC2R / S.E. Xperia X10

not sure. i subscribe to all of them asides from the movie network channels. although their content is rather mixed, it's always a channel to check in on while surfing. they had glengarry glenn ross on the other night which was enjoyable. anytime i have to call in where a CSR asks me to tune to a good HD channel i always use HDNET.

it really should be a part of the basic HD selection you get when subscribing because it exemplifies HD programming.
Old 2007-07-26, 11:29 PM   #4
ryank1

I have to admit that when there was a movie on, regardless of it's quality, I always watched because it was a thrill to see them in HD. I even sat through BRAINSCAN! HDNet went out on a high note I guess with CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, which was on last week. I don't think it's worth the expense, however, as most of the content is weak concert and lifestyle programming.
Old 2007-07-26, 11:44 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642

Ryank1:

HDNet didn't go out at all. Lots of us here subscribe to HD Specialty Pack for $7.95/mth (along with around 12 other channels). You can too.
Old 2007-07-27, 07:42 AM   #6
Bytown

Hd.net is one of my favorite channels.Its anything but a huge disapointment.
Old 2007-07-27, 10:33 AM   #7
Crawler

I'd keep it just to keep watching "Get Out!" with Lindsay Clubine and her lovely friends

Some other good travel shows on there too that I enjoy watching, and I do watch the occasional current affairs segment.
Old 2007-07-27, 10:54 AM   #8
leoottawa

Location: Ottawa, Ontario • Toshiba 50HM66 • Rogers Cable and Phone
Unhappy Confused with the "Premium Bundle"

I am confused about Rogers' Premium Bundle.

According to Rogers, they don't list National Geographic, Showcase or WGN as premium channels.

But, as of this week, I can't get WGN as well as HDNet. I will call Rogers later today to find out the status of WGN.

This is getting too annoying...

.... Leo
Old 2007-07-27, 11:09 AM   #9
james99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
I'd keep it just to keep watching "Get Out!" with Lindsay Clubine and her lovely friends
Who is model #26 on Deal or No Deal
Old 2007-07-28, 10:36 AM   #10
fairmang

HDNET is gone for me too. I have had it from day one when they started up with the free Preview.
Old 2007-07-28, 04:20 PM   #11
jan2004

Default HDNet preview is over?

Hi

I live in the GTA, I've been with Rogers for years.

I have hi speed Internet, cable VIP package and home phone.

I have had the HDNET (channel 541) for well over a year since I started the VIP programming.

Two days ago I find that I am no longer authorized to watch.

I call they tell me it was a mistake that I was getting it and that I should pay $7.95 a month to get the HD package.
I am not happy I pay $212 a month to Rogers and I thought that this channel was included.
Now to get back my favorite channel I have to pay $7.95 on top of the $211.
Any thoughts that can help are appreciated.
Thanks
Old 2007-07-28, 04:27 PM   #12
darrylr
Veteran

That channel was always supposed to be part of the extra package of HD channels that you have to pay for. There was a free preview of HDNet after it was added but I thought that ended a long time ago (or was supposed to).

I pay for that package ($7.95 I think) and get HDNet as well as some of the other HD channels I enjoy a lot like TSN HD and Discovery HD. I don't see why Rogers should not be able to charge for some of these new channels that they add. My payment to Rogers every month is around $200 as well.
Old 2007-07-28, 04:46 PM   #13
kevin168

Default rogers service

mine billing is a lot
because i have digital vip plus, FAIRCHILD, TALNTVISION, GREAT WALL, ATV HOME CHANNEL, high speed express, cellphone family plan
i am using with them 12 years now, just dont like them much now since each year charging a lot
there department gave me some promotion until 2008
if i take the HDPVR and HD PACK,after my free trail for 8 months,after oct
i think my payment will go over then $250
right now in promotion rate is around $244
just mad at them so much
Old 2007-07-28, 04:54 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Veteran

Kevin: That's great you are enjoying so many services Rogers including specialty content not available elsewhere -- Great Wall for example.

Since you already have three products -- TV, Internet and Wireless -- you could add Better Choice Bundles and save 10% of your recurring monthly fees. Sounds like, for you, that's about $20/mth.

If you were to switch to Rogers Home Phone as well you'd be eligible for 15% off everything (not discounted by a current promotion) ... so $30 what you already have. Home Phone is now advertising $19.95 (save $10/mth) for 12 months -- the math might work out that you take home phone, bundle and save on your current Rogers bill. Plus keep the $30+ you spend with your current telephone company. There's also a pretty good International Asia LD plan.
Old 2007-07-28, 07:05 PM   #15
kevin168

Default rogers service

no point to pay for long distance
i am using hong kong provider citytelcom
voip service
only $10 to have a hk phone number dial hk unlimated

secondly i joined before with rogers is vip, then budnle 15% now they lower to 10% which am so mad at TED ROGERS