Delta Cable (Eastlink in BC) Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > EastLink

Old 2008-02-19, 11:04 PM   #76
Tuvix
Rookie

I've figured it out.

I was only scanning for Analogue channels.

Scanning for Analogue and Digital channels did the trick.

Probably a nub mistake, but I thought all (even unencrypted HD) were analogue.

Thanks

FREE HD woot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-02-20, 03:14 AM   #77
Trunks0
Rookie

Maybe, I'm in the tsawwassen area my self. I've managed to pick up other HD channels, however they are just black without any audio so I have no idea what they are.
Old 2008-02-20, 11:16 AM   #78
Tuvix
Rookie

Ya, same for me. Wasn't sure why they were getting picked up by the channel scanner when they are useless to me.

Still nice to get some free HD ones though.

So ppl in north delta are getting all of these?
Old 2008-02-23, 01:12 PM   #79
bcbud3

Just lost two more channels, unfortunately. 55-2 (i think it was cbc) and one other (not sure what the channel was. I am now down to 8 channels (not including music)
Old 2008-02-23, 01:16 PM   #80
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Check your QAM tuner specs

Delta Cable uses QAM 256 modulation, so most newer QAM tuners will auto-sense the source and adjust through QAM 64, QAM 128, and QAM 256 accordingly. If your tuner doesn't support QAM 256, that might be the reason some of you get no digital stations.
Old 2008-02-23, 01:17 PM   #81
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

bcbud3, I guess that's the problem with Delta Cable's clear QAM... you get what you pay for! I'll take my laptop over to my neighbour's house in the next few days and see what I can find.
Old 2008-02-27, 07:07 PM   #82
bcbud3

I'm not complaining.. i only watch two or three of the free HD channels anyways. It's too bad they got rid of the good ones, tsn, sportnsnet, etc
Old 2008-02-27, 08:40 PM   #83
Trunks0
Rookie

I'm not to pissed that I don't get all the HD channels. CTV plays most of the prime time content I want to watch in HD anyway *shrug*

Last edited by Trunks0; 2008-02-27 at 09:08 PM.
Old 2008-03-03, 09:41 PM   #84
Trunks0
Rookie

Ok I talked to a person who works for a cable company(not Delta Cable specifically). They said there is a possibility that the reason some of these channels are receivable in some area's and not others could possibly be an bandwidth issue in my and other areas. Nothing concrete, as I didn't have allot of time to talk to the person. But it's some thing that might cause this issue apparently.

I would try tuning in the channels I do not receive with some thing else, but this HVR-1800 is all I have to tune HDTV with at the moment :\
Old 2008-03-03, 11:44 PM   #85
bcbud3

I just lost three more channels tonight. I am now down to 4 HD channels (not including music). Anyone else have more and any channel numbers you could pass on if you do have them?
Old 2008-03-11, 05:56 PM   #86
Joann

From a scan this afternoon:

55.1 CBLTDT
56.0 CBUTDT
56.2 CIVTDT
58.6 CHAN
58.7 FOODC
58.9 TSN-Alternate Feed
64.0 CTFODT

So, all of the US network channels have gone missing for me.

I was able to identify 58.9 only because I also rent Delta's box so I can record shows on their premium channels.
Old 2008-03-11, 09:56 PM   #87
gmstuart

Yeah, I'm down to basically CTV and CBC... I think I'll have to make the jump to the box, luckily I've been able to hold out for about a year

Currently I notice Delta Cable is running a promo on their HD PVR for $399... and something about $100 in programming credits and free installation. I saw this ad running on A&E recently so I will have to call and inquire about it.

Edit... So I just phoned and that promo requires you to sign up for their mega entertainment pack for 6 months. Outlined below.

All this for just $54.32 per month!

· Full Value Cable (Basic Cable, and Value Paks 1,2,3)
· 4 movie channels from Movie Central
· 4 Superstations
· 40 Digital Music Channels -commercial free CD-quality
· Interactive Program Guide
· Access to pay-per-view movies and events
· Access to over 30 “Pick & Pay” channels
· Up to 3 additional cable outlets

Sign-up now, and when you buy your Digital Cable Converter (or HD PVR), you'll get up to $100 in programming and installation credits. The offer includes:

· Free Installation
· Your 1st month Free - Mega Entertainment Package
· 6 Free pay-per-view movies

The lady basically told me that signing up for that for 6 months allows me to purchase a HD PVR at $399... then I can do as I want after the 6 months and go back to just the basics. Since I already pay $40/month for the basic and value pack 1-3.... this seems like a decent deal to me. I also recall her saying the first two months were free with purchase. Guess I will have to make my decision shortly.

Last edited by gmstuart; 2008-03-11 at 10:17 PM.
Old 2008-03-14, 09:15 PM   #88
Joann

Yes, we've had the "mega entertainment pack" for more than a year. When you combine that with dccnet we give Delta Cable a fair amount every month. I'm annoyed that they're trying to make it difficult for me to use my pvr of choice (MythTV). The software and storage space they offer with their bundled pvr is inferior.

We have a rooftop antenna, but in our neighborhood we can only pull in CBC, and sometimes CTV. CBC HD OTA is very, very nice; better signal than Delta Cable provides, but it's only one station.
Old 2008-04-11, 08:08 PM   #89
bcbud3

Can someone tell me what my options are for getting HD channels in delta are? (both legal and other). I'm trying to decide whether the cost justifies making the jump to HD. Can i find a used HD box from a different cable company and use that? What are my options please...thanks
Old 2008-04-11, 10:22 PM   #90
Joann

Default Is HD worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbud3 View Post
I'm trying to decide whether the cost justifies making the jump to HD.
It depends on your display, I would think. If you have a decent HD capable display, it's just hard to watch SD material on it.

In our neighborhood, Sunbury, we only really get CBC over the air in HD, but Global is supposed to start broadcasting an HD signal on April 18th. CTV's signal is so weak that it's just about useless to us (unreliable for recording ... we don't watch live tv). A simple rooftop antenna is a worthwhile investment, even for one channel, it will only get better.

We also get all of the HD sports and movie channels that Delta Cable offer, it's worth it to us, YMMV.