Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2008-02-01, 03:29 AM   #271
Tom.F.1
Veteran

Lost last night had the worst audio dropouts i've heard. Sometimes it was in the recording, so backing up didn't help, sometimes it was just my usual dropouts.
Called evu about it, waste of time. They won't replace it and won't refund my money.
He says its a "compatability issue" and the technical dept is working on a fix.
Advertisement

Old 2008-02-01, 09:01 AM   #272
mot_guy

With my audio dropouts, I notice it gets worse whenever there is increased hard disk activity. I've also been able to "make it happen" jut by hitting the guide button which I assume causes a brief hard disk access. It's like during it's multitasking, audio is the first thing it drops to keep up with everything that its doing.
Old 2008-02-03, 02:56 PM   #273
gtpalmer
Rookie

I'm on my third 9242. Same audio drop out problems. Very frustrating. I've given up on the HDMI connection and so far, no problems....
Old 2008-02-04, 01:35 AM   #274
Tom.F.1
Veteran

Audio dropouts are a lot less on recorded OTA on my 9242. The superbowl recording was almost perfect except i missed the last 25 seconds. Should have set it to record longer.
My dropouts happen just a frequently on the optical out as the HDMI.
They tell me replceing the reciever won't help.
Old 2008-02-04, 07:51 AM   #275
mot_guy

Have you tried analog audio as a comparison?
On OTA I notice the audio only drops when I momentarily lose the signal itself (which is expected). I need to mount my antenna on the roof when the weather warms up.
Old 2008-02-04, 05:46 PM   #276
Tom.F.1
Veteran

no, i didn't try the analog audio output. Why would I?
Digital SAT PVR, Digital TV, Digital surround AV reciever = Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound.
Old 2008-02-04, 06:13 PM   #277
everfresh
Rookie

Default Has anyone tried to use the USB ports on the 9242?

I just had my 9242 installed Friday, went for rental rather than purchase seeing that people have had alot of complaints about this fairly new machine. I haven't had much problems with audio, though I am plugging my audio via Toslink optical cable directly to my television, which controls the signal between my XBOX360 and 9242. Keep in mind I'm using speakers that are primarily for desktop computers, but the Logitech Z-5500 are SICK!!! I didn't bother with a Home Theatre, simply because I didn't want to spend much more and also realized that my Logitech's hold up well compared to the Home Theatre in a Box systems. I have this all plugged into my Sony Bravia KDL46W3000 (Merry XMAS to Me!!!)

HD is by far superior, and SD, well.... I'm using a Sony, so my review on that is kind of biased since SD plays well with my Bravia. As for the 2nd SD line on the box, I have yet to buy a CRT TV to test it out.

I do have one question.... This is my very first PVR, and I noticed that the 9242 has USB inputs. Is there any way to take advantage of this feature? I thought it'd be really cool if I can back up all my Habs games onto a external hard drive or even on to DVD or DVD-DL.

Last edited by everfresh; 2008-02-04 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Anal retentiveness.....
Old 2008-02-04, 06:28 PM   #278
Nimiq 1

USB is not yet activated.

A timeline for full use of this port on the 9242 has not yet been announced. Use of USB for .jpg files to give a slideshow should be very soon as per an interview with Pat Button of ExpressVu late last year.
Old 2008-02-04, 06:34 PM   #279
mot_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
no, i didn't try the analog audio output. Why would I?
Digital SAT PVR, Digital TV, Digital surround AV reciever = Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound.
Just as a test since there are no reported audio problems with the analog outputs. This all seems to point to digital audio problems with this receiver.
Old 2008-02-05, 01:22 AM   #280
jmavra

Installed my new 9242 over the weekend and i am already having some problems. I am using HDMI to my TV and optical to my receiver. This is what has happened about 4 times.
I will be watching a show, and I will go to the guide and select a new channel. The receiver freezes and all the lights on the front of the receiver go off. At this point you would think the receiver is off, but you can actually still pull up the guide and menus, but get no video or audio.

Has anyone experienced this problem????
Old 2008-02-05, 08:06 AM   #281
mot_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmavra View Post
Installed my new 9242 over the weekend and i am already having some problems. I am using HDMI to my TV and optical to my receiver. This is what has happened about 4 times.
I will be watching a show, and I will go to the guide and select a new channel. The receiver freezes and all the lights on the front of the receiver go off. At this point you would think the receiver is off, but you can actually still pull up the guide and menus, but get no video or audio.

Has anyone experienced this problem????
That sounds like a bad receiver. Time to call Bell.
Old 2008-02-05, 08:15 AM   #282
Sieg

On december 11 2007, I bought a 9242 receiver at FS. Since, BEV replaced the unit 4 times: each one had a different problem : Smartcard (error 349), fatal error on Hard Disk, unit freezing continuously and no picture at all with the last one: just the front panel light flashing.... The last 9242 I received one week ago seems to work properly. The postmaster told me she had a lot of returns of BEV boxes. Hope the last one will be the good one.
Old 2008-02-05, 11:23 AM   #283
jmavra

I bought the receiver at FS 3 days ago, am I able to exchange it there for a new one or do i have to contact Bell.
Old 2008-02-05, 11:27 AM   #284
silversage

Do not contact Bell, return it to FS and get a new one. Bell will just give you a total run arround and most likly give you a refurb. Yes even at this early juncture of the 9242 life. Save youself time and a ton of hassles, back to FS!!!!
Old 2008-02-05, 03:01 PM   #285
Nimiq 1

I doubt they will take it back but try by all means.

Officially, once activated, it should be ExpressVu that change the receiver.

Tags
bell 9242, caller id, mts, problem