Basic Home Networking Setup Question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing

Old 2007-01-13, 07:39 PM   #1
birdman325

Default Basic Home Networking Setup Question

Ok, here is my set up and my question is very basic, so please be gentle.
I currently have a desktop in the family room with no built in wireless capability. It is connected to the internet through a Rogers cable modem. The cable wire comes in from outside and connects to my Rogers cable modem. I then have a Linksys wireless router connected to the cable modem to give me wireless access througout my house.
In the den, I have a Dell laptop with built in wireless which accesses the internet using my home wireless network. It all works very well and allows me to get wireless access on my laptop (or PSP) anywhere in the house, and even my backyard.
Here is my question. I would like to have my desktop connect to the internet through a "wired" connection, not wireless and move the wireless router somewhere else in the house (basement perhaps).
While I could just plug my desktop computer in the family room into the cable modem, thereby achieving my "wired" desktop, I suspect that in order to move the wireless router somewhere else, I would need another cable modem, correct? In order for the wireless router to operate, I need the Rogers cable wire going into the cable modem, which then goes into the router, correct? If that is the case, then the only way to move the wireless router somewhere else in the house, is also to move the cable modem with it, correct? While this should not effect my laptop which is wireless, in order for my desktop to then access the internet, I would have to make my desktop wireless (USB or PCI wireless adapter?)

Does this all make sense and sound correct? I don't have CAT5 wiring so I guess I am trying to confirm that if I want to move my wireless router somewhere else in the house, where ever I move it, I need to move the cable modem with it. And if I move the cable modem from the desk next to my desktop, I have no way of getting the desktop to access the internet, other than through making the dekstop also wireless and putting the router and cable modem in the basement, and getting a wireless USB or PCI adapter for the desktop and accessing the internet through the laptop and the desktop, wirelessly.

Am I missing an easy solution? Does this sound correct?

Thanx in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-13, 07:53 PM   #2
ihdtv

Why not just leave the modem where it is and run some cat5 to wherever the desktop is. Either way you have to run some cable whether it's the coax or the cat5. You might find the cat5 a little easier to run since it's a little more flexible. Cat5 isn't really that expensive.

Another option is to install a wireless pci card in your desktop and access the router wirelessly. I know you said you didn't want to do it this way but it is another option that makes things a little easier. There are many options for wireless access on a desktop including usb wireless access points as well. Most pci wireless adapters will be around the $50 - 80$ range.
Old 2007-01-13, 08:25 PM   #3
technut
Veteran

Location: Victoria, BC (on Shaw TV & Internet, Telus home phone, Bell mobile)

A solution I seldom see suggested but which has worked for me in similar circumstances is to get a pair of powerline ethernet bridges. You plug them into the power jacks and they essentially act like a long ethernet cable to anywhere in your house. You plug one in at your Internet access and the other end in the basement, move the router to the basement and you're set.

My brother-in-law recently bought a pair of SlingLink adapters for $100 to reach from the basement to the 3rd floor. Beats trying to route an ethernet cable.

p.s. Another advantage of the powerline method is that many of the devices support multiple jacks, so you can install a 3rd or 4th somewhere else in the house and they are all connected (bridged) together.
Old 2007-01-13, 08:34 PM   #4
ihdtv

technut..

I've never really taken a close look at that technology although I've heard of it. How is the packet loss on that? Same as over wireless or cat5? What kind of speeds can you expect? Any issues with em interference?

ihdtv
Old 2007-01-13, 09:24 PM   #5
birdman325

That would be a perfect solution. I have read about them but I don't think I have ever seen this in Canada. I wonder if BestBuy or FShop would carry them. May be even a better solution than a wireless USB adapter for my desktop.
Old 2007-01-13, 09:39 PM   #6
technut
Veteran

It has worked well for me but I guess it would depend on your environment to a certain extent, just like wireless.

The HomePlug 1.0 standard is 14 Mbps (expect performance similar to 10 Mbps ethernet). Plenty good enough for most Internet connections. But if you want higher $$peed there is a new HomePlug AV standard that is good for something like 100 Mbps.
http://www.homeplug.org/en/faq/index.asp
Old 2007-01-13, 11:23 PM   #7
I_Want_My_HDTV

I wouldn't bother with the HomePlug device. The same thing (maybe better and for less money) can be achieved by using the existing router and a wireless NIC.

The cable modem and router need to be hardwired. These can be moved to the basement, provided the CATV cable can be accessed and power is available there. Now you have two choices:
1. Run a CAT 5 cable to the PC for wired access.
2. Get a wireless NIC for the PC for wireless access.

Personally, I would leave things as they are (assuming that you have the PC hard wired to the router.) It makes it easier to troubleshoot problems and wired access is easily available. If there are better reasons to move the modem and router, go for the simplest solution.

I doubt getting another cable modem will be an easy or cheap solution. The cable company might want to charge twice for two connections.
Old 2007-01-13, 11:58 PM   #8
technut
Veteran

I don't see how that meets the request for non-wireless connection to the desktop, or how moving the cable modem to the basement and running a CAT 5 cable back to the desktop is easier. Maybe you had a bad experience with a HomePlug setup that you'd like to share to explain your opinion?

birdman325, maybe you should state what your end goal is (why do you want the wireless router in the basement anyway). You said you get good wireless reception for the laptop now... that may not be the case, especially outside, if you put the router in the basement. If we know what you're attempting to accomplish we might be able to refine our suggestions.
Old 2007-01-14, 09:15 AM   #9
birdman325

I am kind of "embarassed" to say what my end objective is. True, I get good coverage with my laptop throughout the house, but because of the desk where the desktop computer sits, the wireless router can only really sit in one place. First, because of the wires, etc, it looks bad (meaning, my wife doesn't like it sticking out with all its wires, etc.) Second, the kids use the desktop computer on a regular basis, and again, my wife is not thrilled about having the wireless router stuck inches from where they sit. I am sure there is no health risk but...
Anyways, I think what I will do is move the cable modem and wireless router to the basement and then buy either a wireless PCI or USB for the desktop and check the coverage. That may be my best best.
Thanx for all the suggestions. Now that I am clear that the cable modem must be hard wired to the wireless router (which is what I thought had to be the case) it makes the possible alternatives more clear.
Old 2007-01-14, 12:58 PM   #10
technut
Veteran

No need to be embarassed about the WAF (wife acceptance factor), I think a lot of husbands have to keep that in mind and compromise sometimes.

If your wife is concerned about the proximity of the kids to wireless, you might not want to tell her that putting a wireless adapter on the desktop computer is really no different than having the wireless router sitting there.

Guess your baby-making days must be over if you're now permitted to use a wireless laptop! Radio in the lap can't be good either, right?

Re: "must be hard wired"... Just to clarify, you do need an ethernet connection between the cable modem and the router. So if you leave the cable modem upstairs but move the router downstairs you'd either need to run a physical ethernet cable or you could use the powerline adapters to run the ethernet over the house wiring.
Old 2007-01-14, 01:24 PM   #11
ihdtv

Quote:
I think a lot of husbands have to keep that in mind and compromise sometimes.
HaHa ... Yeah meaning "do it the way she wants"
Old 2007-01-14, 03:17 PM   #12
BC0000

you may see a significant drop in yard access if you relocate your RF router to a basement. Cement and sod is not friendly. The higher the better. I work with these in a commercial environment, (ps hate them) Just keep in mind that RF connectivity is not licensed or regulated by a governing body, meaning you will find alot of blind spots as other users around you set up personal or commercial systems. (from garbage transmissions) You are not guaranteed air space. So although a product may claim 11, 55, or 100 mb speeds, outside conditions can prevent you from achieving. You may have to play with your locations to find a sweet spot, don't give up if you move downstairs and nothing works. vive la 4 pair twisted
Old 2007-01-14, 05:35 PM   #13
birdman325

Well, after much experimenting, I seem to have found a decent solution. I bought a Tendnet USB wireless adapter. First, I moved my cable modem and router to the basement, and while I had a terrible time configuring the USB wireless adapter with my XP desktop, it finally did work, (although only I figured out how to "allow" Windows to manage the wireless connection, and not the Trendnet config. utility which was terrible.) But the connection was poor when the router was in the basement.
Luckily, I have lots of extra cable wire and adapters, splitters, etc. so managed to put the router and cable modem in my den, and both the laptop and the desktop are now working and getting good signals.
Thanx for all the input.