Power Bar (UPS, Surge, Etc) Info and Discussion - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2012-01-30, 04:51 PM   #196
DigitalPixel

Someone on another forum said they can turn off the display. When did you purchase yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-30, 08:00 PM   #197
peano
Veteran

About six months ago. Using the front panel buttons I can only get it to very dim which still casts a glow in a dark room.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:48 PM   #198
Wayne
Veteran

Default Are there UPS' with power switching capability

You can buy a web power switch like this but why don't UPS' have this functionality built into them? UPS' often come with software to do things like shutdown your PC but I would think that remote power switching capabilities would be a natural add-on to a UPS.

I could certainly use this for products that are occaionally unresponsive, such as a Hauppauge HD-PVR or even a PC that seems to have died and could use a reboot.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:09 PM   #199
ScaryBob
Veteran

Several APC Smart-UPS units say, "Network manageable - Provides remote management of the UPS over the network." They are listed under 'Home > Products > Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) > Network and Server > Smart-UPS.' These are not your cheap big box store UPS units though.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:22 PM   #200
Wayne
Veteran

Does remote management mean that you can turn on and off specific power outlets via software or does it just mean that you can run their software, such as PowerChute, remotely? If it is the later then that can also be done via RDP, logmein.com, etc for nothing.

I took a look at the docs for the 750/1000/1500/2200/3000 VA Tower and it isn't clear on this. There seem to be power outlet groups that may be able to be switched depending on the model. But that doesn't seem as flexible as the Digital Loggers device that I linked to above that allows any one of 8 outlets to be individually switched via a web client.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:53 PM   #201
Wayne
Veteran

With APC it looks like you have to buy a 1000VA (or larger) SmartUPS unit. The MSRP on the smallest model is $480 and it gives you a group of four outlets that are switched and four that are unswitched.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:38 PM   #202
ScaryBob
Veteran

The manual states that with advanced menus enabled, the following option is available: "Control the Main and Switched Outlet Group to turn on, turn off, shutdown, or reboot." That sounds like it's possible to turn the outlets on or off remotely. Not having used these particular models, I don't know for certain.
Old 2012-06-29, 10:12 AM   #203
pharsyde
DHC Supporter

Default Surge Protectors Device Replacement Warranty ?

Does anyone have any experience following up on manufacturer's offer to replace electronic equipement connected to the surge protector ?

While browsing varying electronics stores last weekend , I stumbled upon these products and noticed the "marketing" logo claiming the manufacturer will replace up to specified amount (varied with cost of power bar) electronics damaged due to power surges ..etc, while connected to the device.

Is this just a bunch of BS ? A marketing ploy giving the consumer that warm fuzzy feeling to push the product ? I can imagine the hoops to go through and responsibilty of proof on the consumer to get the manufacturer to pay (replace) any devices damaged as a result of failure to protect as advertised. I think there would be so much red tape and obstacles the consumer would eventually give up trying to claim.

Last edited by 57; 2012-06-29 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old 2012-06-29, 12:03 PM   #204

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

If you search this existing thread for the word "warranty" or other similar terms, you'll find several posts discussing, including at least one where a claim was honoured.

As with any warranty claim, some paperwork, and effort on your part will likely be necessary.
Old 2012-06-29, 12:48 PM   #205
pharsyde
DHC Supporter

Thank you 57 for bringing to my attention ..
Old 2012-07-28, 10:14 PM   #206
Scottatah

Default Purchasing UPS - newbie needs help

Hey Folks,

I'm about to pick up a new NAS and thinking it's a pretty good time to get a proper UPS. Problem is I don't know jack about how to pick one or what i'm looking for or what I should be powering with it. My main need is to keep items powered for 10-20min and if need be power them down properly (via USB). All of my computer electronics are tied into my entertainment system so most things already plug into a monster power bar which is a surge protector, so I don't REALLY need that help.

Here's what I need to protect power wise:
  • D-Link DNS-323 (2x320GB HD)
  • Buffalo Link Station LX 2TB
  • Buffalo Link Station LS 2TB
  • Synology 1812+ w/potentially up to 8x3TB drives
  • Shaw Cable Modem??
  • D-Link DGS-1008G (8 port switch)??
  • Netgear WNDR3700v2 (wireless router)??

I'm not really sure if I need to protect the switches, routers, modems, nor exactly how they'd be protected, but I guess power could surve through there too? Either way, I'm obviously not sad if they shut down, but would like the ability to properly power down the NAS boxes. Will I be able to power down all 4 (assuming they support it)? Or just one?

I know the Synology supports proper shutdown via a UPS and USB, and that will be my main focus as I'm fairly sure I'll be able to migrate anything important to that box, however, I'm moderately curious if multiple devices could be done.

Lastly, this is all for home, so I'm not looking to break the bank or anything too crazy, just trying to learn and figure out what I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2012-07-28, 10:20 PM   #207
MarcP
Veteran

I used to have UPS' almost all over the house until this year. Started to replace all of them with good protective powerbars instead. My monthly electricity bill took a huge dive. UPS' are big power suckers. They consume 24/7. Are you sure you want this added expense?
Old 2012-07-28, 10:47 PM   #208
Scottatah

Technically I don't pay power in my apartment so at the moment I don't care. Next place might be a diff story but...I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. But you do bring up an interesting point...one that I hadn't thought about yet or researched.

Any thoughts on what type or how big of a ups I'd require?
Old 2012-07-28, 11:08 PM   #209
ScaryBob
Veteran

Start by reading all the power requirements on the devices. You want the watts drawn by each. Then add them up. Then double it to add enough capacity for a decent run time. Most UPS are rated in VA which is usually more that the watts provided. Either find the watts rating or add 50% to the required watts to get VA. APC make fairly good UPS at a reasonable price. Look for the power saving Back-UPS or Back-UPS Pro models. They draw quite a bit less power than other models plus some have controlled outlets to turn off extra devices when the main device is turned off. Costco has a 550VA UPS that's a good buy but it's far from the best that APC makes. I like the "APC Power Saving Back-UPS 750 - BE750G" and the "APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 700 - BR700G" models. They have plenty of power for small servers and PCs, are energy efficient and the replacement battery is not too expensive. The best deal seems to be to buy them directly from APC. Trading in an old UPS through TradeUPS (any brand) results in a hefty discount.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:07 AM   #210
SatTv1994

I have my (FTA) 921 connected to an APC battery backup to protect the unit id until I have the battery changed. I would like to find someone in the Brossard, QC area to change the battery. Is anyone aware of someone who could do it?

Tags
power protection