Starchoice PVR - Fact or Fiction? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2002 and Prior

Old 2002-04-12, 05:12 PM   #1
rtsit

Default Starchoice PVR - Fact or Fiction?

I have a hard time believing we'll see the Starchoice PVR anytime soon.

This article, written in late 2001 explains a lot about how they started:
http://www.broadcastdialogue.com/Mag...sp?article=274

The article goes on to point out some very interesting (and obvious) facts. About how English/French needs to be available in the PVR - how it must conform to CSA standards, etc.

This thread, talks about the PVR in August/2001
http://www.virtualhelpelectronics.co...ad.php?TID=117

I also heard from one of the StarChoice call center reps that there currently is a partnership with Microsoft, Motorola, and Star Choice.
The new units will be based on UltimateTV.

They said one thing they've been trying to do (and is taking so long) is having two tuners in each unit, so you can record one channel, and watch a different one. This feature is something Bell ExpressVU currently doesn't deliver, and will make Starchoice's system even better.

They forecasted fall 2002. I think it's more like fall 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2002-04-12, 10:26 PM   #2
rtsit

Default New PVR release date is SPRING 2003.

NEW UPDATE!

I was at Futureshop tonight, and the sales guy was at a StarChoice seminar 2 days ago.

The latest deal on the PVR is that it will definatly have 2 tuners, so you can watch one channel, and record another. In addition, if you have a Picture-in-Picture TV, you can use the PVR to show two channels at the same time.

Furthermore, it will have a 40 gigabyte hard drive, and will support High Definition Television channels as well.

The new PVR release date is now set for SPRING 2003 :roll:

No demonstration was shown, so apparently they still don't have a workable demo to show. They're still in the "work out the bugs" stage.
Old 2002-04-13, 01:56 AM   #3
travisc
Veteran

Interesting, but let's keep in mind that the FS drones are notoriously stupid and deceptive.
Old 2002-04-15, 09:09 PM   #4
troublemaker

If SC is actually telling FS employees anything I'd be surprised. I'll bet FS employees are getting a better commission of SC boxes hence a need to "embellish"
Old 2002-04-29, 04:19 PM   #5
Jd1 bad bad boy

Default SC PVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker
If SC is actually telling FS employees anything I'd be surprised. I'll bet FS employees are getting a better commission of SC boxes hence a need to "embellish"

The last thing I was aware of the plan are not finish yet and also the factorie to build those few unit as not being found so far NO ONE IS INTERESTED

Also the last big new F3 liftoff as being posponded and is for SALE .
Old 2002-04-29, 04:26 PM   #6
travisc
Veteran

Sources? URLs? Backup for your comments?
Old 2002-05-01, 08:35 PM   #7
hugh
Member #1

somebody at Kusat claims they got an email from Star Choice saying that a PVR would be out in the fall of this year.
Old 2002-05-15, 04:13 PM   #8
rtsit

Default :D OFFICIAL StarChoice PVR Response! :D

SENT FROM STARCHOICE Thursday MAY 9/2002

Dear XXXX ;

Thank you for your recent email regarding the addition of a personal video
recorder to our Star Choice systems.
Star Choice will be introducing a personal video recorder (PVR) in the fall of 2002. This new PVR will be cutting edge, industry-leading technology.

Today, Star Choice provides the best quality picture and the most
programming choices through the most powerful satellite system.
The technology that will be part of our PVR will be above and beyond
anything currently available on the market today. The limitation with
today's technology is that you cannot watch one show and record another.
Star Choice is working toward solving that problem and many others to
provide the best experience to our customers.

Our partners in this endeavour are: Motorola - our long-term partner and the
world leader in digital technology, and Microsoft - a new partner that brings with them a huge portfolio of very successful products.

We are looking forward to providing the best PVR product for our customers. It is our goal to provide a long-term technological solution that truly provides excellence for our customers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing Star Choice,

Cindy S
Internet Mail Coordinator
Old 2002-05-15, 11:15 PM   #9
travisc
Veteran

Geez, they make it sound like they have some influence on the development of this product. More like if Motorola actually puts it out, they'll buy it.
Old 2002-05-22, 10:49 PM   #10
HornHonker

Well, if it's like my UTV I'd switch from BEV to SC in a second to get one.
Old 2002-05-24, 10:18 AM   #11
Filthy

Old 2002-05-24, 01:44 PM   #12
travisc
Veteran

Yes, I am aware that Motorola has these projects underway. What I'm saying is that Motorola announces an awful lot, but things take a long time to actually come out, if ever. I'm still waiting to see their combination DCT-2000, Dolby Digital receiver and DVD player, which was supposed to be available to the public in Q1 2002.
Old 2002-05-30, 03:38 PM   #13
Tripster

Default Don't hold yer breath

While Starchoice can release info all they want about the impending arrival of their new magical PVR, don't hold your breath!

Fact: Microsoft has all but shelved their UltimateTV unit, this means NO MORE R&D is being done with it, they threw in the towel due to lack of interest and they'd rather fiddle around with the x-box.

I do think they'll get a PVR to market, but I doubt it will be UTV based. I also doubt we'll see one in 2002, more likely 2003, by that time second generation Evu units will be available.

What's hurting *C is they are the only DTH system using DCII and with only 700,000 subs or so cannot afford the R&D required to keep up with the Evu offerings, especially when Motorola is bleeding red ink like crazy and cutting back everywhere.
Old 2002-05-30, 03:47 PM   #14
mikef

There was also something going on with Digeo and Motorola as well, which had nothing to do with Microsoft. This could be the Star Choice PVR that's supposedly coming in the fall.
Old 2002-05-30, 03:52 PM   #15
Bent
Veteran

I'd agree with you too, Trips.

I spoke to Starchoice this morning (not a CSR, but someone a lot more "in the loop") in Calgary, It was indicated to me that the biggest priorities (in this order) are:

1. HDTV (I understood that they are looking for a zero blooper record, and are real close - minus a couple of "give your head a shake" episodes).

2. IPG stability as well as receiver memory resource management (getting rid of the two day guide limitation with the hardware they have) as well as guide accuracy.

the PVR is still lower on their priority list, and.... he was doubtfull it would show up before 2003. (he wouldn't bet one way or the other though). I know this is contradictory to what we have all seen and heard about a summer '02 PVR offering - who really knows.

I was really glad to see that they are serious about HDTV though.