QC - City of Montréal - OTA (CLOSED - Please see FINAL POST) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Reception Results

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-20, 01:47 AM   #61
foxfan

I don't know about specific frequencies, but in terms of physical channel numbers:

Channel 13: WVNY-DT (ABC)
Channel 14: WPTZ-DT (NBC)
Channel 19: CBFT-DT (SRC)
Channel 20: CBMT-DT (CBC)
Channel 32: WETK-DT (PBS)
Channel 38: WCFE-DT (PBS)
Channel 43: WFFF-DT (FOX/CW)
Channel 53: WCAX-DT (CBS) (will move to channel 22 in 2009)

To find the frequencies, use this calculator:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/f...ml#TVFREQUENCY

(note that the U.S. stations other than WCFE are not currently on-the-air but should be within the next 2-4 weeks)
foxfan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-09-20, 08:38 AM   #62
Astralmind

Thanks for the tips Foxfan. I was able to randomly pull CBC DTV on freq 507250 khz. Strenght 23 % Qual 100 %. Very watchable. However, this channel cameup as 19 in the US list and was no where to be found in the Canadian one (weird, the software is crap). Logically, I should be able to tune SRC french easily since CBC usually has a weaker Signal and comes from a similar place. Unfortunately, running a full scan with the software finds no signal at all (not even the CBC one I found by randomly trying channels, manually !).

That's why I guess that with the exact frequencies, I should be able to tune in.

Thanks again
Astralmind is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-27, 09:01 PM   #63
gmd

I just hope that one day, people closer to Ottawa can get those (there are currently conflicts on channels 13, 14, 32, 43 with analog stations, and 22 for digital stations).

-gmd
gmd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-29, 04:51 PM   #64
montrealmountain

Default Vermont Digital Channels

I am receiving all with a fair strength (70%+)... but all have black screen, no pix.... I know that the HDTV (the -5) is suppoosed to be working... is anyone getting a real picture on any of their channels? As of 3PM today.. they were all black.
montrealmountain is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-29, 05:44 PM   #65
distox

I am getting the same thing, 75% signal strenth and black picture with no audio on all channels on my 9200.
Old 2006-09-29, 06:02 PM   #66
montrealmountain

I think this is a temporary glitch... according to the person I spoke with at VETV, she though all was OK, but their engineeers were not in today... they are supposed to get back to me on Monday. Only 2 of these 5 channels will be active in the near future....
montrealmountain is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-29, 07:12 PM   #67
WatchmaN

Same here good signal but no sound, but i don't get those black pictures.
WatchmaN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-30, 01:11 PM   #68
yipikyer

A call is already placed at WETK. We'll know monday. Hopefully that's just a PSIP problem!!

I'll keep you posted.
Have a nice weekend.
yipikyer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-02, 12:12 AM   #69
Astralmind

Default Would a better antenna help ?

The answer may seem obvious but right now, (living in MOntreal) I can get a great signal for both CBC and SRC DTV with my current indoor crappy RC antenna. However, the antenna needs to be in a perfect spot and when I say perfect, I mean half an inch means the signal drops dead !

In other words, with my current setup, I can get 100 % quality and minimal strenght (15 %-30 %) if the antenna is in a very particular position (and a different one for each channel !). I also noticed that touching the base (the plastic base, not the UHF ring) of the antenna makes a huge difference in signal strength and quality.

Would a Silver Sensor like antenna help me ? or maybe an amp ? I know the tuner I alright and also know that it is possible for me to get at least those 2 channel (and fairly well).. the problem is making it easier.
Old 2006-10-02, 12:36 AM   #70

aren't the PBS stations within reach from your area?
it would make sense then to get an antenna capable of recieving them, along with those other American stations that are coming up in Burlington. This would probably be an antenna like the 4221 or 4228 depending on your location.
026163 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-02, 08:35 AM   #71
Astralmind

You're right and I wouldn't mind spending the 100 $ for a CM4228 if it would really fix all my problems. The thing is, they are not easy to find in Montreal so before I go on a hunt, I'd rather be 100 % that my antenna is the problem (which I really think it is).

The thing is, PBS and all the american stations are in a completely opposite direction from CBC and SRC. Would a CM4228 facing south still be able to catch channel coming from North East ? I don't have the technical skills and the time/money to invest on a rotor etc..

Thanks.
Old 2006-10-02, 09:51 AM   #72

hmm this is a situation where usually you do need to get a rotor to get all stations, mainly since you don't have all these high powered stations that can be recieved from the sides, rear of a bigger antenna.

perhaps you could describe the location of where your antenna will be going, ie height, what obstacles will be blocking any signals between the transmitters, distance from the transmitters, or maybe you could even post some pictures.

You could hope that in the right spot, the closer CBC and SRC digital would be picked up on the back of an antenna like the 4228, but thats certainly not guaranteed.
026163 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-02, 11:26 AM   #73
ladylay

Default New to OTA in Montreal

Hi everyone,

I just bought an ATSC tuner for my first gen Sony lcdtv. Should receive it thursday. My location is 45N.35, 73W.33. Duplex home ( rent), top floor. Clear view to South- Southeast. Landlord does NOT allow me to install outdoor antenna. Said he would bring it down if I do install one. On the other hand, a few years ago, I found out the windows glass was blocking completely dish signal if I tried to use a dish on tripod inside.

Would a silver sensor or any better indoor antenna allow me to receive DT stations from Mount Mansfied, or will I be limited to local ( CBC, SRC, TVA,etc.)?

I'm with Bell ExpressVu SD but don't want to pay for their heavily compressed HD signal and overpriced mpeg-2 receiver. Landlord reluctantly allowed dish installation but only if it was not visible from the street, so it's far back on the roof.
thanks
bernard
PS: excuse my so-so english.
ladylay is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-02, 01:09 PM   #74
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi Bernard and welcome here - your English is fine. I don't think an indoor antenna even as good as a ZSS (or clone) will help you with the U.S. stations, but you will get SRC-HD and CBC-HD. Hopefully other people here can confirm or clarify that.

Does anyone know if TVA has plans to go digital any time?
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-02, 01:13 PM   #75
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 026163 View Post
You could hope that in the right spot, the closer CBC and SRC digital would be picked up on the back of an antenna like the 4228, but thats certainly not guaranteed.
That's what I was thinking too, but it would take real world testing at the exact location to see if it works. The CM4228 has some fairly generous side and rear lobes so it is theoretically possible that you could aim it at Mt. Mansfield and get SRC and CBC through the back door.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.