Bell TV Retentions? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-03-10, 08:25 PM   #76
KRD01967

Contract is up in a month and called today to get the ball rolling. After only 1 other offer they offered 30% off programming(down to about $70), and when I told them I wanted to give back my 6100 and 4100(rentals) and get a 9242 to go along with one I already have she offered it free for 1 year. I think it is a pretty good offer although I may try to get my present 9242 rental free for the next year too!! Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-03-11, 08:03 AM   #77
jb1

I recently moved in to my new place, transferring home to Ottawa after 7 years in the middle of nowhere. I had Evu out west, but no other Bell services. They screwed up my initial phone install 9 hour "window", and did not actually schedule a tech to come, and did not call me to cancel. I finally got my phone after another week, then my modem another week later. The phone tech appointment was narrowed down to a one hour window, the most I would agree to given one wasted day. Evu, surprisingly, was most on the ball installing the day after I called, doing everything as asked and very well, and within the four hour window.

When I complained to Bell about the phone FUBAR (it was far more involved than the brief play by play above), they offered me a $50 credit and a month free internet. I turned them down. Then $100 and three months free inet. Still not enough for the 9 hours of my time waiting for an appointment they never intended to keep. Then EVU, the only division that got it right, threw in two months free, another $150 roughly. So, to keep me as a customer for the three services, they gave me about $330 worth of credits, or about 3 months free for all.

The screwup was a bit more than many have to deal with, trust me, but they are willing to go pretty far to retain their customers in terms of credits.
Old 2008-03-12, 09:59 AM   #78
habskilla

I got the following:
HD PVR rent free for a year.
HD programming free for 6 months
30% off programming for a year.

Sweet deal.

PS I'm in Moncton. Expressvu is the only provider that offers a dual tuner PVR. Rogers has been promissing for 4 years to get us one. fyi, Rogers was offering me VIP + with the movie package, HD programming for 62.99 for one year no contact.
Old 2008-03-13, 02:29 PM   #79
Bman72s

Default Question re installation costs on retention deal.

My 2 year rental contract ended in December. I fully intended to leave BEV but I must admit that for me their service has improved and it would seem all providers have their issues. Therefore I might be talked into staying. What I have now is 3 4100s and a 6100. I have purchased a second HD tv so I would need a 6141 and get rid of 1 4100 or a 9242 and get rid of 2 4100s and run 2nd SD set from 9242. My question is on installation charges. I know on rental contracts BEV must do the installation so do they charge for that on their retention deals? The 6141 would just plug in so that would be the easiest but I sure wouldn't pay the 75.00 charge for a BEV installer to do it. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 2008-03-13, 03:49 PM   #80
KRD01967

I asked and received free install on my new 9242 and swap of 6100 and 4100 for another 9242.A few posts back you can read all the info. Of course, free to Bell means I pay 100.00 now and am refunded next month! I must say I was very happy with customer service the last few phone calls.
Old 2008-03-13, 05:11 PM   #81
Darz
Rookie

Default 6100 Problem and Offer

My account was activated from suspension and when I turned on my 6100, it was cycling through the transponders (message 015 on screen). There was no signal. My 3100 was working fine. I checked the lines, ran a direct line, switched receivers, etc. I called tech support and after troubleshooting I was told it was a problem with the receiver. I brought it to the local electronics store and they hooked it up - still no signal.
I was initially offered a 6100 rental if I sent my defective receiver in (My current 6100 is purchased). I asked about the 6141 and was told I could get one of those instead (interesting how they didn't offer the new model upfront). I asked about owning a 6141 and was told I could buy one for $149.
After reading about some problems people were having, I'm starting to think my 6100 was affected from their end, especially since it worked fine before I suspended my account. After reading some of the retention offers, I think I could get a much better deal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 2008-03-13, 09:59 PM   #82
haystack

I think you should call expressvu again. The explanations you got do not make a lot of sense. Why would they want your purchased receiver to rent you one. Sound like they have to re hit your 6100. Get that working first.
Old 2008-03-14, 07:38 AM   #83
dosborne
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
After reading about some problems people were having, I'm starting to think my 6100 was affected from their end, especially since it worked fine before I suspended my account.
For $150 I don't think they would be willing to put their reputation (and possibly their business license) on the line. Writing a unique firmware version just for you and downloading it to your system is a lot of work for that price

To me, it does not sounds like there is any correlation between signal loss and account suspension. Two completely separate functions. Hardware fails. Since your unit did not acquire signal at onther location then you know it has to be something in your receiver.

It was likely miscommunication or a simple mistake when they said they would replace your unit with a 6100, but I could be wrong. Since that model has been phased out it seems strange.

If you go for the 6141 @ $149 I believe that means it is a refurbished unit, but I haven't looked at the pricing on those lately, just want to warn you to check to be sure you understand what you are getting.

You are right about the retention offers, many seem to get a free 9242 rental for a year and possibly a subscription reduction.

Haystack - If he can't acquire and lock a signal, they can't send auth codes down to the receiver/CAM.
Old 2008-03-14, 09:14 AM   #84
haystack

If the tech support told him he would have to surrender his purchased 6100 in order to rent a 6100 there are serious doubts in my mind about the tech person, or there is a break in communication. If they are just going to replace the receiver free then he should ask them to send it out and return the faulty one, if the free one works. It will not hurt his position when he deals with the retention dept ( It may actually help) so I would sort that out first, before I took a retention offer.

Last edited by haystack; 2008-03-14 at 09:31 AM.
Old 2008-03-14, 11:35 AM   #85
Ex Agent EV
Veteran

Quote:
I think you should call expressvu again. The explanations you got do not make a lot of sense. Why would they want your purchased receiver to rent you one. Sound like they have to re hit your 6100. Get that working first.
Sending a hit when there is no signal is totally useless...

Tech support, in this case have determine that there is a hardware problem, and client seems to be out of warranty. In that case they offer to replace it with a refurbish unit for 149$ (like they always do) or that he rents another unit. If he chooses to rent he would have to buy a rental certificate for 100$ which would be credited on the first bill after he activated the receiver...
Whathever he chooses, those are not retention offer, but the normal offer agents have to make when client has a defective unit out of warranty.

Having being on vacation has nothing to do with the current problem...
How do you expect EV to break your receivers by putting them on TPS (Temporary programming suspension)?
They just go in the system, click in the account management section, the system will tell them that they indicate that they want to TPS their service and ask if client actually wants to proceed TPS with the help of the rep. When he clicks yes system ask the start date, then the end date and that's it... System tells the agent to remind client that service will be suspended from X date to Y date, to advise him of auto restart. After that nobody goes in the account, they only process the bill. The service is automaticall restarted on the date indicated
Old 2008-03-14, 03:10 PM   #86
haystack

I don't profess to know much about expressvu but I know I experienced the same thing as darz when I got my 6141. Expressvu had to authorize/register/hit do something that fixed the do not find a signal message. A coincidence the receiver goes at the same time of suspension, maybe.

Last edited by haystack; 2008-03-14 at 03:44 PM.
Old 2008-03-14, 03:45 PM   #87
Darz
Rookie

I just spoke with another tech agent and was told that my options were to buy a new 6100 or 6141 for $299 or buy a refurbished unit for $149. I could also rent a 6100 or 6141 for $10 per month for a 1 year contract. He said my 6100 did not have to be returned. The first agent I spoke to obviously didn't know what she was talking about since she did tell me I would have to return my unit while paying the $149 for a refurb.
As Haystack mentioned, I too had to have my receivers "hit" from an agent since neither were originally working after my account was off suspension. So this is why I am thinking this problem was from their end. I didn't think my receiver was broken as suggested by Ex Agent EV when it was put on suspension. It seems a little coincidental that I never had a problem, put it on suspension and then after this "hit" it didn't work anymore.
Old 2008-03-14, 04:02 PM   #88
haystack

Darz like the topic of this post if you can't get your 6100 working call the retention department if you need a receiver.
Old 2008-03-15, 12:56 PM   #89
Ex Agent EV
Veteran

Again a HIT is totally useless if the signal is not there... His are there to fix issues like missing channels, wrong time on guide, certain guide issues, but not signal issues. If the signal is not 65% or + agent shoudn't perform a hit

If you get a refurbish unit at 149$ you have TO RETURN THE DEFECTIVE unit. The agent that told you you didn't have to was wrong
Old 2008-03-22, 01:17 AM   #90
ltldevl

I was surprised on Thursday this week. I called up to get a replacement remote control but while I was on the phone I remembered that I was pre-approved for a free upgrade from my 9200 to the 9242 so I thought, what the hell. Anyway, the short of it is, that for a 1 year contract, I ended up getting the rental of the 9242 for 1 year for free, free installation (eventhough it's not really an installation, just a swap) and 20% off my programming. I was really surprised!