Xplornet High Speed Satellite Service - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2006-01-08, 12:16 AM   #31
macspectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
I hope you get high speed but I would be 100% opposed to it being subsidized by the government. There are pros and cons to living in a more rural location and this is one of the cons.
by that logic people in rural areas shouldn't get health care either

hi speed internet has become almost necessary to life in the 21st century

one day you will need something from society and someone will say; "not out of my pocket"
like maybe a life saving drug or procedure

canada by its very nature is very spread out and has a large rural population
are we any less valuable to the societal fabric?
of course not

i don't demand the leafs or argso or blue jays play in my area, but hi speed has become a necessity to function and it can in the long run save the environment in reducing travel to and from cities

oil is a shrinking resource - we need to promote people working form home not disuade it

/end rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-01-08, 12:32 AM   #32
macspectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by notickets
I'm in a bind. I live 20 minutes north of Ottawa in Quebec. DSL is 1.6 km from door and has been so for over 4 years. Bell keeps telling me its coming...hold on its coming. Cable is not available where I live as we all either have starchoice or expressvu. A Wireless Coop fell thru as we are in a very hilly/treed area and it just wasn't reliable.

Satellite seems to be my only alternative, but from what I have read the cost is unreal compared to DSL/cable. I see if you are a directPC customer you pay only half. How do they know if you were a customer? And why does it matter to them? You still need to buy a dish...and all the stuff?

Also, if you go with the 1MB download...how close to 1mb does it stay and what's the lowest it could go down too?

I'm so sick of dial-up....but it is much cheaper!!

The liberals have said a number of years back that all of Canada would have hi-speed access to the net. Or is that only people who live in the cities?

Venting again...but controlled venting is good :-)

i am an expressvu customer that had direcpc and upgraded to anikast

that's why we got a discount since BCE owns bell and telesat
i can't even imagine having to pay the full retail cost of this alleged "service"
it's not even close to dsl speed for dsl price as was promised by BCE CEO

the serivice is unreliable, support is bad, costs too much both hardware and monthly

i am starting a petition in my neighbourhood of all the people that want hi speed (rogers has no plans coming here until fall 2006) and i called bell and they might listen
or wait until then and watch the pigs fight themselves for my business then.....

the next step is to lobby my local politicians to get high speed

show the mega corps that people want it and wait fo affordable hi speed

i have the 1 mbps down and 256 kbps up for $90 / mth and it is way over priced, goes out with the hint of rain and they don't want to fix it - telesat still acts like a gov't agency which is what they were and have no idea of customer service

fight the good fight and stay strong - if we make anikast a failure, the only other option will be bell or rogers
but if anikast takes off BCE won't want to put dsl in via bell

good luck

Last edited by macspectrum; 2006-01-08 at 12:39 AM.
Old 2006-01-08, 06:16 AM   #33
notickets

Default Are all satellite Internet companies bad?

Working at home....and trying to get somthing done constructively, satellite is not my first choice when only 2 km away guys brag about their being to download at 5m per second to my 56kbp. Their cost is around 50 dollars a month. I need speed as everything is taking too long to live in the 21st centry. I hate hitting websites and having to go thru a flash intro that could take upto 3 or 4 minutes to download, and then the process is slow at best. I hate waiting after I hit the go key and then thinking I didn't really hit as the time lag is huge and I hit it again, and then i find out that it is just the speed of the isp connection. I have the latest and greatest laptop, but I'm running it with coloured diesel fuel rather than using formula one octane (hi-speed).

Are there any other alternatives to Anik? Do some of the other companies like C-com or Galaxay Broadband or Virgintechnologies or Directway have equally bad reputations?

I know that the initial cost is high around 1k...but is the service bad or unpredictable at best?

Bell, would be my last choice even when hi-speed comes as they have been less than helpful or truthful about the delays in putting in the service for the last 4-5 years.
Old 2006-01-08, 06:34 AM   #34
notickets

Default What does the government not subsize presently??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
I hope you get high speed but I would be 100% opposed to it being subsidized by the government. There are pros and cons to living in a more rural location and this is one of the cons.

They subsidize, transportation in all the "Big" cities, they subsidize the food you eat every day, they make huge payoffs to their friends (sponsorship scandal,the tru****nd tipoff to their buddies at the investment houses, the royal mint president stepping down, the waste at HRDC of over 1 billion dollars unaccounted for, the gun registry boondoggle, etc. etc,) , to their friends companies, healthcare!! They pay people not to work and to those who can't find jobs.

I would like to communicate electronically in the 21st century in a country where the liberal government 6 years ago promised to connect all the people with hi-speed.

Imagine the next big snowfall in Toronto and the mayor couldn't call a state of emergency and get out Canada's finest because they said no more government money!!
Old 2006-01-08, 04:32 PM   #35
notickets

Default HOw unreliable is the service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macspectrum
i am an expressvu customer that had direcpc and upgraded to anikast

that's why we got a discount since BCE owns bell and telesat
i can't even imagine having to pay the full retail cost of this alleged "service"
it's not even close to dsl speed for dsl price as was promised by BCE CEO

the serivice is unreliable, support is bad, costs too much both hardware and monthly

i have the 1 mbps down and 256 kbps up for $90 / mth and it is way over priced, goes out with the hint of rain and they don't want to fix it - telesat still acts like a gov't agency which is what they were and have no idea of customer service
Because I am tired of waiting for dsl and cable and wireless is not possible it would appear that satellite is the only way to go. When you say unreliable does the service go completely down or is it time lags?

Also, how does the service compare to the way it use to be for you with bell?

Having the 1 mbps and 256kbps @$90/month have you noticed fairly good surfing? and when is it slowest ie. time of day.

One of the reasons we would like it is uploading digital photos to Loblaws takes forever...not to mention, when someone has sent me a large email, it just consumes all the bandwidth and I can't do anything until it clears.

I appreciate the time you take to answer this for me.
Old 2006-01-08, 04:52 PM   #36
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
They subsidize, transportation in all the "Big" cities, they subsidize the food you eat every day, they make huge payoffs to their friends (sponsorship scandal,the tru****nd tipoff to their buddies at the investment houses, the royal mint president stepping down, the waste at HRDC of over 1 billion dollars unaccounted for, the gun registry boondoggle, etc. etc,) , to their friends companies, healthcare!! They pay people not to work and to those who can't find jobs.
That took place in rural areas as well as in cities.
Quote:
I would like to communicate electronically in the 21st century in a country where the liberal government 6 years ago promised to connect all the people with hi-speed.
And I don't have a problem with that but I don't feel that I should have to pay for your DSL - just like I didn't agree with the government subsidizing NHL teams.

Quote:
Imagine the next big snowfall in Toronto and the mayor couldn't call a state of emergency and get out Canada's finest because they said no more government money!!
I could live with that!

By the way, have you ever considered wireless with an antenna. With antennas you can get wireless working over many miles. Offer to pay for DSL for the people who are 1.4km away as long as you have line of sight. Then put up an antenna hooked up to a wireless router and put an antenna at your house and your set!

Check out this or numerous other articles on the web http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
Old 2006-01-09, 11:00 AM   #37
macspectrum

Quote:
Because I am tired of waiting for dsl and cable and wireless is not possible it would appear that satellite is the only way to go. When you say unreliable does the service go completely down or is it time lags?

Also, how does the service compare to the way it use to be for you with bell?

Having the 1 mbps and 256kbps @$90/month have you noticed fairly good surfing? and when is it slowest ie. time of day.

One of the reasons we would like it is uploading digital photos to Loblaws takes forever...not to mention, when someone has sent me a large email, it just consumes all the bandwidth and I can't do anything until it clears.

I appreciate the time you take to answer this for me.
atmospheric conditions are constantly screwing with my connection
anikast theorizes that i may be getting "moisture" in the antenna assembly, but cancelled sending a tech out 2 weeks ago and i don't know why (save money i guess)
tech supposed to be coming some time this week

the service is too expensive and unreliable
it should only be about $50 for 2 mbps down and 512 kbps up
that would be more in the range of "dsl speed for dsl price" as per CEO's promise

the bell expressvu direcpc was bad because it was one way down thru dish and up thru phone lines and phone lines here get a max. of 26 KB

bell has a c.o. about 7 km away and all they need to do is put in a RSLAM card in my local bell switch to get us dsl, but i guess BCE figures it is more profitable to sell anikast than bell dsl
Old 2006-01-09, 11:13 AM   #38
notickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by macspectrum
bell has a c.o. about 7 km away and all they need to do is put in a RSLAM card in my local bell switch to get us dsl, but i guess BCE figures it is more profitable to sell anikast than bell dsl
The distance of the c.o. is almost the same to my address in Quebec. The have everything in the box--they just have to hook it up!! But its like they want to penalize us as we are an english speaking area of "la bell Provicnce". There's like 1600 families too in the area and most would gladly purchase the service. Most of the people who do get hi-speed where we live use magma as they say that bell's serice is like calling the post office!!
Old 2006-01-19, 11:28 AM   #39
Bent Willi

Quote:
Because I am tired of waiting for dsl and cable and wireless is not possible it would appear that satellite is the only way to go. When you say unreliable does the service go completely down or is it time lags? .
I have been using satellite internet for close to 3 years now. first with Direcway KU (Xplornet nee LinCsat) and now Xplornet KA. I have found the KA to be very dependable service wise and while speeds are not DSL they are comparable to cable in speed and price. Granted support was kinda spotty with KA at first I think this may be a learning curve on everybody's part. when we went to service school last may the KA system had only been up a month and issues have been coming up as subscriber base expands. If Satellite Internet is the only alternative to dial up, it is a darn site better.
Old 2006-02-08, 08:33 AM   #40
macspectrum

Default Anikast tech. support is horrible

Who would have thought that Anikast would make me pine for the days when I lived in the big city and had Rogers.

The latest straw is the "tech support" (and that's a joke) want me to turn all my computers off except for one and test the Anikast connection for a week straight.

This after 3 days of "testing" and sending them files and their tech. support now changing their story about their DNS entry problems.

Imagine if you will, to borrow from Rod Serling, that Canada Post was your ISP. That's how the boys and girls at Anikast treat you. Very governmental (empahsis on "mental") about layers of people and they won't admit mistakes and just bury you (the customer) with jobs so that you eventually quit helping them out and they then consider the problem solved.

It's all so very Soviet.

They have screwed up my account so often that I can't even sit down anymore.

I am so fed up that I am considering moving to an area that is serviced by Rogers.

I spent big money for hardware and big money for a crappy connection that goes out at the hint of rain. My cat tolerates rain better than Anikast.

grumble, grumble, grumble.....
Old 2006-02-25, 04:33 PM   #41
Spidinator

Was wondering if anyone who has signed up for this service has used it for online gaming and stuff. I seem to have read in another post that it wouldnt be possible due to the high ping or something like that. Anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 2006-02-25, 08:38 PM   #42
superham

Did you ever notify the delay in a conversation via satellite between a news reader and a journalist outside of the country??? A signal from earth needs about 0.5 seconds to reach a satellite. Internet satellite is a good broadband connection for Internet surfing and downloading, but forget about online gaming or voip.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2001

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2025

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2026
Old 2006-02-26, 12:14 AM   #43
macspectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidinator
Was wondering if anyone who has signed up for this service has used it for online gaming and stuff. I seem to have read in another post that it wouldnt be possible due to the high ping or something like that. Anyone confirm or deny this?
the latency (delay) is too long for internet gaming
I have "pinged" the Anikast gateway and get times from 450ms - 750ms which is far too long for any useful online gaming.
Old 2006-02-26, 04:32 AM   #44
Spidinator

alright so that is out, but in comparison to adsl or cable can you really notice a big difference?
Old 2006-02-26, 10:51 AM   #45
superham

Internet Satellite is a good high speed broadband connection and the web pages and downloads load fast after they get started, but they will always take time to get started cause of high latency (pings).

ADSL and cable connections get pings below 100ms, even as low as 20ms!!! Itís why you canít be successful on online gaming with a satellite connection because someone will kill you before you do anything.