It's Official: MTS HD is now available - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > MTS

Old 2007-01-28, 09:49 PM   #106
fami

MTS better start adding more channels soon I heard a rumor that Shaw will have 27 hd channels by March.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-29, 11:23 AM   #107
Aberdeen

MTS is apparently going to boost their HD channel numbers from 7 to 16 by the end of the year. As for competing with Shaw, MTS offers the same digital TV quality for less money, so even if Shaw got 30+ HD channels, I'd be hard pressed to switch to them, especially if it meant dealing with their questionable digital phone service and their capped internet. I'd go Bell or *Choice first.
Old 2007-01-31, 11:32 AM   #108
jjhmclean

Angry MTS - No NHL Centre Ice

Hiere is my responce from The Center Ice feedback web page..........So it looks like MTS is Too cheap after all.

Jayson,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately MTS will not except our offer for the Centre Ice package. We recommend you continue to call you cable provider and requesting the Centre Ice package.

Thanks,
NHL Center Ice
http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/centerice/index.html

here is what I asked:

01/28/2007 11:05 AM

To:
cc:
Subject: Form submission from NHL Feedback

A form (form NHL Feedback) has been submitted that is to have the results sent to you. The submitted information is enclosed below.

firstname: Jayson

lastname: Mclean

email:

recipient_feedback:

comment: Why can't i get Center ice on MTS digital cabel in canada. _BAsed in Winnipeg_ Do they not want to pay enough_ or have they even asked_

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-01-31 at 11:36 AM. Reason: removed email address
Old 2007-01-31, 12:19 PM   #109
Aberdeen

Wow, the customer representatives for NHL Center Ice have poor spelling.

AFAIK, Center Ice was playing hardball because of their contract with Bell. Other providers are pretty much being shut out from the service.

In any case, this isn't an HD issue. I'd suggest starting a new thread and posting this information there.
Old 2007-03-20, 10:23 AM   #110
Huffer

Wow, it's almost the end of March 2007 and MTS HD is still as crappy as it was when it was launched.

I guess no one at MTS considers HD a priority.
Old 2007-04-18, 09:59 AM   #111
Mozza

Very quietly, MTS switched their ABC feed from Seattle to Grand Forks. When I called about it, they said this was the "big change" they were making to their HD service, and there was nothing else planned until after the summer.

So I went with Bell ExpressVu, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 2007-04-18, 12:46 PM   #112
Huffer

That is very disappointing.
Old 2007-04-24, 04:33 PM   #113
steelers2005

Angry

I too cancelled MTS over the lack of HDTV and switch to Star Choice. As i see it MTS could care less about HD.
Old 2007-04-24, 05:14 PM   #114
SensualPoet
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642

OTOH, MTS issued a press release today stating 70,000 TV customers, having added net 30,000 in less than two years.

That's no mean feat as it only covers Winnipeg, as I understand, and Shaw is the incumbent cable company. For the phone company to take 25%+ of the installed TV base is a significant achievement. MTS must be doing someting right.

Of course, the fact that Bell is in play with the investment community, I sure has nothing to do with making MTS - Allstream look as good as possible. Plus it's run by former Bell division president Pierre Blouin.
Old 2007-04-25, 10:56 AM   #115
Mozza

MTS TV is an excellent service, but if you want a decent HDTV package, you have to forget about MTS. 7 channels, all two hours time shifted. Not worth the $450 for the second-rate receiver and extra wiring involved.
Old 2007-04-25, 01:33 PM   #116
radiologist46

Where`s the beef??? For someone like my 81 year old father MTS T>V has been great, way better than his previous Shaw service and he admits he can see the quality difference. For me his 47 year old son who is into HDTV and that is the way the market is going, MTS is totally asleep at the switch. Pity, as IPTV has so much potential.
Old 2007-05-04, 12:23 PM   #117
Mozza

MTS added TSN HD today. Should be up for all customers who have HD by the end of the weekend.

So that makes a whopping 8 channels of HD, and still half of them are time-shifted two hours later. *yawn*
Old 2007-05-04, 07:33 PM   #118
SensualPoet
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642

Those young whipper-snappers! *yawn*

Eight HD channels over phone lines isn't something to sneeze at. And TSN is a good channel to light up in time for (critical) hockey and baseball season.

It seems to me it was only a few months ago the local cable company was struggling to provide about the same number of HD channels.

MTS is listening, growing its business with along with its customers.

When the dust finally settles, in 2008 or 2009, MTS will look like a decently positioned competitor to cable. And they already have around 25%+ of local Winnipeg TV service business. Not bad. Ask Bell, Telus or Aliant if they have managed the same.
Old 2007-05-05, 09:35 AM   #119
Mozza

Eight channels is good, for a start, if this was 2003.

Add in that it costs $450 to get it all installed, and you have to use two different set-top boxes for your service, and suddenly it doesn't seem all that competitive, even against Shaw.

I drop MTS TV on Tuesday, and I'm glad I did. BEV is really, really a superior elevision product.
Old 2007-05-05, 11:17 AM   #120
SensualPoet
Veteran

Bell ExpressVu certainly has more HD channels than MTS. The comparison was with Shaw Cable in Winnipeg. It's not that long ago that the HD channel count there was close to 8. MTS has offered HD for only six months.

MTS has a solid SD service, from the reports I hear, and competes well with Shaw without giving the product away at fire sale prices. It even offers a modest On Demand service (including Movie Central On Demand) -- something Bell cannot ever do via satellite.

For one reason or another, Bell is likely to stay put for a while in terms of product offerings; MTS has a window to close to improve service, robustness and channel selection. In any case, the prime competitor is Shaw which can, like MTS, offer Internet and Home Phone to the same customer. That's another advantage Bell ExpressVu will not ever overcome with satellite.

One proof point is whether the customer base is growing. Bell added a mere 4,000 customers in Q1 2007 on a base of 1,820,000 TV customers nationally. It would not surprise me to see MTS surpass that number of new additional customers on its base of 66,400 customers -- and that's confined entirely to Winnipeg. Obviously folks living in MTS territory are responding that MTS TV is worth the money and worth choosing over alternatives.