World's Digital OTA TV Standards: ATSC, DVB-T, ISDB-T, DTMB - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-09-04, 02:51 PM   #16
99gecko
Veteran

I'm pleased and disappointed with this article at the same time.

The article does not mention that there are digital channels already available to viewers in most regions of the US and some regions of Canada. In fact, by stating:
Quote:
Luxembourg and the Netherlands have already switched off analogue and the United States and Canada have announced plans to turn off over-the-air broadcasting as well, in 2009 and 2011 respectively. Switzerland, Sweden, Austria and Germany are in the process of converting, while most other countries have plans underway.
it implies that there won't be any digital OTA until 2009 (US) and 2011 (Canada). While the majority of Cdn. broadcasters may ultimately decide to do a flash cut-over in 2011, the fact is there is digital OTA available to a large number of Canadian. The article also fails to mention the energy efficiency of transmitting digital OTA vs. analog.

However I am glad to see that some press is starting to at least mention the conversion to digital. It will be interesting to see how much interest the Cdn. press has about the subject in Feb. 2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-09-05, 06:22 AM   #17
VBC1

I think the emphasis here is on digital-only broadcasting.
There are many poor and undeveloped countries around the world broadcasting digital along with analogue, like in Canada.
As it states: "...Germany are in the process of converting" - The fact is - Germany is in fact in the process, being: region by region, starting Berlin, analogue was being completely replaced by digital. Therefore, there are many parts of Germany that are only digital now, I guess maybe just a few regions left still with analogue signal there. That is not the case neither in Canada nor in the USA.
Old 2007-09-09, 10:26 PM   #18
GeorgeMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBC1 View Post
There are many poor and undeveloped countries around the world broadcasting digital along with analogue, like in Canada.
And wealthy, technologically advanced countries like the United Kingdom, France and Japan.
Old 2007-09-22, 11:40 PM   #19
VBC1

Default CanWest Global Goes OTA HD (in Australia)

Quote:
CanWest's TEN To Launch TEN-HD

In December of this year, the TEN Television Network in Australia will be launching TEN-HD, offering more choice in the highest possible broadcast quality for free in the major metropolitan centres of mainland Australia. TEN was the first Australian television network to begin broadcasting in Standard Definition Digital and is the only network transmitting the globally-recognised pinnacle HD broadcast Standard. CanWest owns approximately 56% of Ten Network Holdings Limited, which owns and operates the TEN Television Network.

For substantial periods of the day, TEN-HD will break away from TEN's primary channel to offer alternative programming and themed events focusing on, for example, Live Sport, Entertainment, Movies, Documentaries and Science Fiction. TEN-HD's signature programs will be in stunning full HD, delivering the highest possible picture and sound quality to viewers.

Industry figures from Digital Broadcasting Australia show that by March 2007, 28% of Australian homes had free-to-view digital television, with HD receiving equipment comprising the fastest-growing segment of a market that is itself dramatically increasing each quarter.

Given the rate of take-up, the Australian Digital Suppliers Industry Forum (ADSIF) predicts that almost 10 million flat panel HD TVs will be purchased in Australia by 2012. At this rate, ADSIF estimates that there will be at least one HD TV in the vast majority of Australia's eight million homes in only five years.
(from Broadcaster Magazine, 19.09.2007)
Old 2007-09-28, 08:17 PM   #20
recneps77
Veteran

Now if only they'd hurry up and do it in canada...
Old 2008-03-18, 04:09 PM   #21
GeorgeMx

Quote:
THere are so many other countries that have already completely switched to digital or are well on their way.
Many countries have started a switch to digital broadcasting but I have yet to see a news item saying all analog transmitters in a country have been turned off. Can anyone provide a reference indicating which countries have completely turned off all analog transmitters?
Old 2008-03-18, 07:40 PM   #22
jimdoo

Default No analog

I thought I had read the Belgium had went all digital a while ago.
Old 2008-03-18, 07:50 PM   #23
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

It was Finland and the Netherlands.
Old 2008-03-18, 08:20 PM   #24
GeorgeMx

Default International 100% Digital OTA

The following countries have completed their analog shutdown according to the DVB site:

The Netherlands
Luxemburg
Finland
Sweden
Switzerland

The European Union has a date to terminate all analog transmission but I have not researched it as yet.
Old 2008-03-19, 06:25 PM   #25
donnyjaguar
Rookie

Quote:
I think it's absolutely rediculous that most OTA broadcasters still have not launched an OTA DTV signal in Canada.
Agreed. They should've all switched years ago. The government shouldn't have had to mandate it.
Old 2008-03-29, 09:44 AM   #26
99gecko
Veteran

As of May 2005, the European Union's date for all member countries is the beginning of 2012.
http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l24223a.htm

I find this particularily interesting as it mirrors the situation here in N.America :
Quote:
Towards a pan-European dimension

Even partially continuing analogue services in some Member States would act as a barrier to the introduction of these new services and would affect competition with the rest of the world. At the national level, any spectrum dividend will therefore depend to a large extent on the number of neighbouring countries which have already achieved switch-off. Achieving this goal will only be possible at the European level upon the complete cessation of analogue broadcasting within the EU and neighbouring countries.
Old 2008-03-31, 09:35 PM   #27
GeorgeMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko View Post
...I find this particularily interesting as it mirrors the situation here in N.America :
Europe has higher population densities and smaller countries that require national and local broadcasters. The closest similar situation is in southern Ontario where a string of U.S. and Canadian cities along the Great Lakes require television frequencies. Reducing the number of channels in the TV band frees up space for more mobile services. Elsewhere in Canada, 100 miles from the border, the situation is different with low population densities and no competition for channels from the U.S. Spectrum can be found for mobile purposes without forcing the analog to digital conversion, a reality recognised in the CRTC decision to allow analog broadcasting in remote and northern areas after August 31, 2011.
Old 2008-08-29, 06:46 PM   #28
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Colombia Chooses DVB-T

Quote:
Colombia strikes DVB blow to US standard

Digital TV flavour chosen against all predictions

By Fernando Cassia: Friday, 29 August 2008, 2:40 PM

THE OTHERWISE US-friendly government of Colombia has struck a blow to American ambitions in Latin America, by
surprisingly selecting the European DVB standard, against all predictions.

After an unprecedented six-hour meeting, Communications Minister Maria del Rosario Guerra (whose last name in
Spanish ironically means war) declared defeat for the Americans by announcing the country selected DVB-T as
the standard of choice for the country's over-the-air digital TV broadcasts. The broadcasts won't start until the
second half of 2010, so there's no rush to start buying DVB-T STBs, said the government.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ans-with-DVB-T
Old 2008-08-30, 03:01 PM   #29
sabath24
Rookie

Default resolution?

What about both resolutions, which one is best? I know ATSC has 1900x1080, but I don't know about VBT
Old 2008-08-30, 05:08 PM   #30
jbracing24
Veteran

Quote:
so there's no rush to start buying DVB-T STBs, said the government.
I doubt I could pick up Colombia with my 4228 anyway.

Tags
atsc, hdtv