ATSC Converter Boxes (Non-HD, Non-Recording) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2003-01-04, 07:13 AM   #1
lockness

Lightbulb ATSC Converter Boxes (Non-HD, Non-Recording)

Will the samsung sir -t151 ota hdtv work on the sony 43in hdtv ready tv I live in Windsor ont have ota access
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2003-01-04, 12:00 PM   #2

Default Re: sir-t151 ota hdtv covertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockness
Will the samsung sir -t151 ota hdtv work on the sony 43in hdtv ready tv I live in Windsor ont have ota access
yes it will. You will need a rotor on your outside antenna for sure. WTVS-DT is on the WWJ tower (along with WWJ-DT and WKBD-DT). You need to point NW to get WADL-DT (Mount Clemens) . Also, when the Toledo digital channels ramp up power, point south to get PBS, ABC & NBC HD from them. WGTE-DT will show different PBS HD than WTVS-DT most of the time. Have fun - you are in a great area and should get some Flint & Cleveland in the warm weather of summer. Checkout www.michiguide.com for a wealth of HD info in your area - I'm jealous.

BTW - do not fall into the trap of adding an antenna preamp (too many high powered stations near you will overload it). If your signal is poor - raise an antenna and/or get better antenna instead

Old 2003-01-04, 10:08 PM   #3
digitalcable

Where do you purchase the Samsung OTA Tuner?? I dont think they are sold anywhere in Canada.
Old 2003-01-05, 11:36 AM   #4
TDog

Live Wire Audio in Windsor has both models of the Samsung OTA tuner. As far as I know they may be the only store in Canada to have them.
Old 2003-01-06, 01:28 PM   #5
JohnnyG
Veteran

Contact Samsung Canada directly and I'm sure they can arrange something with a local dealer.
Old 2003-01-09, 09:46 AM   #6
digitalcable

I guess it would make sense to sell them in Windsor being next to Detroit,but whats the cost of the Samsung ATSC Tuner??
Old 2003-01-09, 08:07 PM   #7
TDog

I think it is in the $900 range. The PQ is excellent, even when the networks are only broadcasting in 480p. There is no HD on cable in Windsor and it doesn't appear to be coming soon either. So the OTA tuner is a nice alternative to satellite. It is very tempting to get one.
Old 2003-02-22, 08:15 AM   #8
Phaedrus

Lightbulb Samsung ATSC Tuners

Hi All,

I just bought a samsung SIR-151 on EBay, and after playing with the antenna for a while, was able to pick up the buffalo stations on the receiver, as well as one from detroit, and the citytv channel, all with medium signal strength, from my outdoor antenna. Late last night, all the stations except for citytv report no signal strength. Do those stations only broadcast during primetime? Anyone have any ideas about what the problem could be? I'm in SW Ontario, near Milton, for what it's worth.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 2003-02-22, 02:09 PM   #9
digitalcable

How much did the samsung unit cost you? Also, i find it hard to beleive you can get a Detroit signal from Milton?? If so, which one was it?
Old 2003-02-22, 04:04 PM   #10
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcable
How much did the samsung unit cost you? Also, i find it hard to beleive you can get a Detroit signal from Milton?? If so, which one was it?
I paid $250 US for it. I couldn't believe it was a Detroit station either. The station, according to the info screen, was WJBK, which is Fox 2 in detroit.
And strangest of all, it had a signal strength stronger than the Buffalo stations!
Old 2003-02-22, 04:17 PM   #11
digitalcable

I went on E-bay trying to price out the Samsung Tuners and nobody will ship to Canada. The units all vary in price too.
Old 2003-02-22, 05:53 PM   #12
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcable
I went on E-bay trying to price out the Samsung Tuners and nobody will ship to Canada. The units all vary in price too.
I was lucky, the guy I bought it from lived in Niagra falls, Canada, so it was no problem to ship. The list price is $499 US, although I'm not sure what price you can get it from in stores.

The picture quality is simply amazing - I'm really happy with the results so far.
Old 2003-02-25, 11:28 AM   #13
jurassicjockey

I Want My HDTV is right. We had some good tropo activity last week. I was picking up Cleveland with a highly directional antenna aimed towards Toronto.
I also just bought a SIR t151 from ebay but I haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares with my 6000 OTA module. Last I checked, you could pick the Samsung up for $350 US from Crutchfield.
Old 2003-02-25, 05:33 PM   #14
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicjockey
I Want My HDTV is right. We had some good tropo activity last week. I was picking up Cleveland with a highly directional antenna aimed towards Toronto.
I also just bought a SIR t151 from ebay but I haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares with my 6000 OTA module. Last I checked, you could pick the Samsung up for $350 US from Crutchfield.
I would be interested to know how the samsung compares. Can you post back after you receive your unit?

How much did you pay for it on Ebay? I got mine for $250 US.

I can no longer pick up the Detroit stations, so it must have been an atmospheric anomaly.
Old 2003-02-25, 09:56 PM   #15
jurassicjockey

I think I saw that one you got. Was it early last week. I had planned on bidding on it, but then I forgot. I paid $290 US no taxes to someone out of Montreal. I hope to get it later this week. If I don't get it until next week, I won't get a chance to play around with it until the next week. I definitely will post back with my impressions of any differences

Tags
dtv converter, edtv, hdtv converter