TV Tuner Cards For HTPC Discussion - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2008-02-23, 05:42 PM   #211
Imaham

Thanks so much, now I can order my HVR-1600 without WAF problem.
Imaham is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-02-29, 12:36 AM   #212
PPL4GOLF

Anyone tried the Sapphire Theatrix 650 that comes with software and remote ??
Old 2008-02-29, 10:54 AM   #213
mr_raider

I used a Sapphire 550 for two years and was very satisfied. The 650 adds ATSC support I believe, so I can't comment on that since it's new, but playback and capture in NTSC was flawless.

Mine came bundled with BTV 3.5 which is excellent software, but no remote. I finally went with a Hauppauge 1800 to replace the 550 this year, since I wanted something on PCI-E, with ATSC support..
mr_raider is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-29, 03:46 PM   #214
PPL4GOLF

Thanks for the reply.

I want to know if the software in the 'retail' Sapphire Theatrix 650 comes with a TV application that supports EPG and closed captioning. They are not putting ATI MMC on the box so I doubt if they are coming with the ATI software like the Visiontek etc.

I certainly won't mind if BTV is included and wound support the above functions for ATSC tuning.
Old 2008-03-03, 03:48 PM   #215
canadaneedsmusi

I e-mailed Hauppauge today about the new HD-PVR, and was told that they've "slipped" on their release date, now looking at a late april-may release.

I may be having second thoughts about an HTPC, slightly. The HD-PVR would really make things so much easier for me and my setup.

Anyway, just thought I'd give everyone an update.
canadaneedsmusi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-03-06, 03:22 PM   #216
buhbuhh
Rookie

I just bought a Avermedia Combo PCI White box dual tuner card from newegg for $89.99 plus shipping. The card works great has 1 NTSC tuner and 1 ATSC/QAM tuner. ATSC tuner has great sensitivity I get more HDTV channels on it than either of my TV's, HDTV wonder or Technisat AirStar HD-5000. I am currently just using the Avermedia software that came with it on Windows XP and plan to upgrade that pc to Vista to try that out. The other two cards run on Myth.

Links to the card:

http://www.aver.com/mpd/combopcie.html
buhbuhh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-03-20, 06:17 PM   #217
towerpower
Rookie

Default WinTV-HVR-1600 MPEG-2

I am unable to find software that will create a DVD that I can watch on an ordinary DVD player.

The last software I tried was "ImTOO MPEG to DVD Converter" but it strangely converts files that was transmitted in HD but were originally re-transmission of SD ok, as I get video and audio stream to the DVD player but those recorded of HD source without the video and only the audio on the player.

Do you know what conversion software works.

I just split the signal going into that first feeds a VCR..so I can record on VCR directly with SD NTSC

Stuart
P4
ATI AIW9600 has NTSC tuner
towerpower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-03-20, 06:21 PM   #218
MarcP
Veteran

ConvertXtoDVD
MarcP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-03-20, 08:44 PM   #219
jlet
Veteran

Towerpower, see my reply in your other similar post.
Old 2008-04-02, 09:02 AM   #220
canadaneedsmusi

Just a quick question. My plan is to use Vista to watch TV from my Starchoice reciever, and eventually get the HD PVR when it comes out. For the time being will any cheap tuner work? And do I need a NTSC or a ATSC if it is coming out of the starchoice reciever?

Thanks!
canadaneedsmusi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-04-02, 09:57 AM   #221
classicsat
Veteran

For the SC receiver, just NTSC (with A/V inputs). You may want to get an ATSC/NTSC card though, or separate ATSC/NTSC tuner cards, givien your prime location for ATSC.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-04-22, 12:43 AM   #222
DavidT

Hey guys, I'll soon be looking into building an HTPC and I'm trying to get all the plans done now.

Right now, I currently have Bell ExpressVu Satellite, and I'll be looking to upgrade to HDTV. So my plan is to hook up Bell's HDTV Recevier to my HTPC, problem is I can't seem to find any TV Tuner cards that actually have any HD input, most of them only support Free Over-The-Air HDTV or QAM.

So my question is, are there any TV Tuner cards that have any HD Input (HDMI, Composite, DVI?) inputs so that I can do this? And if so, what card would you recommend?

Thanks.
DavidT is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-04-22, 12:50 AM   #223
Knight

Hi!

This (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hd_pvr.html) has component input...

It's not out yet though, it will apparently be available May 1st...

Have a nice day!

Nick
Knight is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-04-22, 01:02 AM   #224
DavidT

Thanks Nick! I probably won't be building until mid/late May, so that would be perfect!

But just for comparison purposes, are there any other HD Tuner cards out there or any other [non-illegal] methodes of receiving an HD Satellite signal with an HTPC?

Thanks again!
DavidT is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-04-22, 10:53 AM   #225
Wayne
Veteran

The only other method is the 169time where they alter a satellite box to give it a firewire output. But the Hauppauge method should be much more supported by software, at least by Sage and BeyondTV.
Wayne is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.