NB, NS, PE, NL - Atlantic Provinces - OTA - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Reception Results

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-06-27, 06:50 PM   #31
Danster

I'm curious how you got HGTV, TLC and other cable only (most of the time) channels in OTA. I'd say you were picking up leaking cable signals more than anything else.
Advertisement

Old 2008-06-30, 11:42 AM   #32
harrisonam
Rookie

So you're saying that the channels were leaking? How does this work? Leaking from some other person who had cable? I'm not sure I understand how they would show up as over the air if they were coming from a hardline like coaxial. Could you explain?

Thanks
Old 2008-06-30, 01:11 PM   #33
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

harrisonam, first some questions for you:
  1. are you subscribed to cable tv?
  2. do you live in a detached house or in an apartment building/duplex/shared dwelling?
  3. if you are not a cable tv subscriber, is someone else in your home/building subscribed to cable tv?
  4. even if you are not a subscriber, is a cable tv line hooked up to your tv?
  5. do you have an antenna hooked up to your tv? If yes, is it an indoor or an outdoor antenna?
Please answer all these and then we can discuss the other stuff.

See this DHC FAQ for info about Signal Leakage: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65268
Old 2008-06-30, 08:32 PM   #34
Danster

In my hometown, years ago, it was possible to watch many channels from the cable that surrounding apartments had. It was almost comical to see how many were watching these freebies. Of course the picture wasn't always 100% clear (especially when someone used a portable kitchen hand mixer ) but they were free nonetheless.
Old 2008-11-04, 07:56 PM   #35
pablito1755

Hi:

We're building a new home in Dieppe (Greater Moncton area) and I am very tempted to install an antenna for local reception. I checked out the details for our local stations (http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...ations/NB.html) and then threw the tower coordinates into google maps to see where they actually are situated relative to the house. The 3 towers are roughly 18 Km, 26 Km and 31 Km away. The two at 26 and 31 Km are in the same general direction, the other is about 90 degrees from the other two. I'm wondering if I could get away with simply setting up the antenna in the garage attic given the distances. It is a pretty standard build house: wood, tar shingles, blown insulation in the attic, but otherwise nothing up there. Are those distances too much?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 2008-11-08, 10:56 PM   #36
pablito1755

So I take it that no one in the area has tried this? I read that attic installs is discouraged in the FAQ, but given the reception I currently get with our little indoor antenna, I'm still tempted to have a go.

As a side note, our little indoor antenna gets us English CBC (7), French CBC (11) and Global Maritimes (27 apparently). We don't get CTV (2). I'm not sure what to make of that. The antenna looks rather like a miniature generic VHF antenna (as per FAQ) with metallic strips in that configuration embedded within a pie shaped piece of glass. Now that I better understand the difference between VHF and UHF, is it odd that I can get channel 27 with this, but not 2?! Just curious.

Paul
Old 2008-11-08, 11:01 PM   #37
Onslow

Given the closeness of your stations I bet an attic install would be fine, but the beauty is that you could put it up outside if it doesn't work well enough. Indoor antennas are a real crap shoot for reception, so no comment on yours.
Old 2008-11-09, 10:43 PM   #38
pablito1755

Thanks onslow. I suspect you're right, but we'll see. I'll definitely try the attic first and see how it goes.
Old 2008-11-10, 12:26 PM   #39
freaked
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablito1755 View Post
As a side note, our little indoor antenna gets us English CBC (7), French CBC (11) and Global Maritimes (27 apparently). We don't get CTV (2).
you know those are analog stations? i get 2,7 & 11 with crappy rabbit ears
Old 2008-11-10, 12:28 PM   #40
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, he knows.
Old 2008-12-05, 12:03 PM   #41
Blackburst

For those living close to the US border, Eastern Maine...

Here is some info about receiving DT channels over the air.

The website to the Maine PBS stations indicate that they will go full DT in mid-January. Here is a link to their website with contour maps for their coverage area...

http://www.mpbn.net/About/CoverageMa...8/Default.aspx

As for WAGM-DT in Presque Isle, ME, here is a link to their website with info on their DT transition situation.

http://www.wagmtv.com/

And here is a contour map for them when they return to Channel 8 after their DT transition in mid-February. Their current DT transmitions are on Channel 16 as their website indicates.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1249698.html

I know most of you in Atlantic Canada don't really have a great situation with OTA DT options, but those close to Maine can get some access of PBS, CBS & FOX over the air without having to go cable or Sat. services.
Old 2008-12-14, 07:02 PM   #42
chamcooker
Rookie

Default Maine PBS OTA in New Brunswick?

WMED a rebroadcast of ch 10 Maine public broadcasting(MPBN) is my american station.tv fool gives it a100 kw rating for analog broadcasts.Analog for MPBN ends Jan.12 09. The power rating for the digital broadcast (ch10 13.1) is 3.5 kw.Does this seem right?Will th digital channel appear very weak. Im only 15 mi.away but 3.5 kw?!
Old 2008-12-14, 07:07 PM   #43
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Digital OTA stations require much much less ERP (Effective Radiated Power) levels than analogue to cover the same area. Not only do we get better picture and audio quality, but digital OTA is better for the environment too.

As the digital transition goes forward there will be some stations requesting further power level changes as they gain more real world experience with their coverage areas. Another thing to consider is that many U.S. stations do not pay much attention to the needs of Canadian viewers, so it can be tough to complain to them about low power levels. In the case of PBS stations, if it can be shown that a substantial amount of funding comes from Canadian viewers in your area it makes sense that they should keep their ERP levels high enough for those donors.
Old 2008-12-14, 10:39 PM   #44
Blackburst

Default WMED-DT, Calais, ME

Here are the contour maps from TV Query concerning WMED-DT & TV

WMED-DT
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT632411.html

WMED-TV
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TV159105.html

They both seem the same. But, I think 3.5KW is rather low.
You can always contact Maine PBS, and let them know if their signal is rather low on DT. And yes, PBS stations do care about reaching their Canadian viewers. They'll listen. Especially if that station is suppose to reach Saint John, NB
Old 2008-12-15, 08:51 AM   #45
chamcooker
Rookie

thanks for those links blackburst.It does look like the coverage maps are the same.At this time I cant tell if WMED is broadcasting a digital signal,Im certainly not getting even a sniff on my panasonic tc32 lx85.Ill try and watch what happens during the next analog shutdown 12,17,08.Im confused about the channel designations.It appears they will be on ch10,192-198 mhz.But digital ch13-1?why the difference in numbers?