Antennas Direct OTA Antennas & Gear - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-10-04, 08:54 AM   #271
ScaryBob
Veteran

I recently purchased a ClearStream 5. Here are my observations on the product.

1. Poor workmanship and quality control.
- The heat shrink tubing that forms the seal between the antenna element and balun was pinched and damaged. That would have caused the balun to fill with water.
- The balun was full of metal filings, presumably from the machining of the tubing that forms the main element.

2. The color! How about a nice soft grey that doesn't stand out as much during the day?
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-04, 09:37 AM   #272
Schmerpy

I agree. My CS5 was not welded together very neatly.

I doubt it affects the functionality. Made in China/Taiwan. What do you expect?

For most items, I search for anything not made in China these days. I'll pay double. I don't care. I've had enough with stuff that breaks 1 week after you buy it.
Old 2011-10-04, 10:28 AM   #273
distox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
.... The idea of doing a new 8-bay to replace the legacy DB8 is still being looked at. I don't have any details if or when it might be done ....
I would buy one of those. I am looking to replace my old rusting 8-bowtie. Where do I send the check .
Old 2011-10-04, 11:15 AM   #274
HWP

Well, I'm interested in getting a new DB4e. I'm going to do a shootout with a 4221hd on a roof-peak satellite mount. I'll test each antenna with and without a pre-amp and post the results on DH.

I hope I can get one before it's too cold to go up on the roof.

Are they now for sale and shipping in the USA, at least?

By the way, I have expressed an interest in these antennas to suppliers here. But it seemed like I was the one educating them about the DB4e's existence.
Old 2011-10-04, 11:19 AM   #275
Schmerpy

HWP, when you do that shoot out, can you make the two simplest modifications to the 4221HD? (i.e., remove the plastic covers on the bowtie screws and pull the balun out away from the boom).

I found that easily bumps the strength by 10 points on most stations, so it'd be interesting to see how the DB4e does against the 4221HD without these needless handicaps.

Something for you to consider.
Old 2011-10-04, 12:36 PM   #276
HWP

For the published shootout, if I ever get my hands on a DB4e, I'm going to use both the 4221hd and DB4e in out-of-the-box condition. That's a fair comparison for everyday people.

This shootout could potentially determine that there is a better choice than the 4221hd at the go-to antenna for simple Toronto installations.

Maybe I'll do a mod on the 4221hd after the shootout and compare again. I'll send you the results but I won't publish them.

In my opinion, Channel Master should not get any bonus points for making me have to learn how to do mods to make their antenna better.

Regular people don't want to spend real money on a brand-name antenna only to find out they have to risk destroying it in order to get it to achieve its potential.
Old 2011-10-04, 01:26 PM   #277
ADTech

Quote:
Are they now for sale and shipping in the USA, at least?
No. A few weeks or so, maybe a month, give or take... I don't have a firm date yet.

ScaryBob and Schermy,

I'll pass your comments regarding quality control on to the product manager. As for the color, the boss likes the black, so it's black. There's always Krylon or Rustoleum if you have a different preference.

While our antennas are manufactured in Taiwan, we do stand behind them with a lifetime warranty. Any other antenna manufacturers offer one of those? From what I've seen, our direct sales return policy is the same as most of their warranties (90 days).
Old 2011-10-04, 01:55 PM   #278
lithOTA

The antennas are probably sealed up in thier boxes at the Taiwan factory, so AD isn't able to inspect them. They offset this issue with thier very liberal return/replacement policy.
It's not everybody's favorite manufacturing model, but it's the way the world works these days.
Old 2011-10-04, 02:15 PM   #279
Schmerpy

HWP,

I agree with everything you said. I only ask because those two mods take about 30 seconds to complete and I suspect most people who frequent this forum and use a CM4221HD have probably completed those mods.

I'm not talking about the 24" -> 20" reflector trim mod. That's a whole different ball of wax... And, in my experience, that mod didn't make much difference.
Old 2011-10-04, 04:47 PM   #280
arrow201

I hope these new antennas will require assembly, at least if a new DB8 is announced.
One of the great advantages the DB8 has, is the required assembly, which enabled me
to put it in the attic
Old 2011-10-04, 04:54 PM   #281
goforit
Veteran

I got a C5 which was a breeze to put together and the workmanship looked fine. Also got a 91XG which took a little more time to assemble; a few reflectors needed a little elbow grease to snap in- seemed like the pre-drilled holes were not correctly centered.
Old 2011-10-04, 08:09 PM   #282
wilspin
Corporate Supporter

I just went to the AD site. This thing is pricy and not much gain for hi gain antenna.

Twinntech supports Digital Home
Old 2011-10-04, 08:43 PM   #283
Vuarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
I got a C5 which was a breeze to put together and the workmanship looked fine. Also got a 91XG which took a little more time to assemble; a few reflectors needed a little elbow grease to snap in- seemed like the pre-drilled holes were not correctly centered.
Funny, I noticed it as well. I also noticed that there were no instructions on how to figure out where to attach the mast to... but one call to the 800 number, and I got top notch service.
Old 2011-10-04, 10:53 PM   #284
thegrommit

ADTech - care to PM me the retailer names? I see some models available on the Canadian site of an "amazing" large online retailer, but not the C2V.

[edit] nm, just noticed you have a Canadian reseller page. Interesting that same "amazing" retailer isn't listed. One of the listed resellers pages looks more like a spam site. There are more google ads on their pages than products for sale!
Old 2011-10-04, 10:59 PM   #285
ScaryBob
Veteran

Good warranty and return policies are nice but AD products are not available locally. It would have cost $20-$30 in shipping costs to return it. Other than the issues mentioned, I am happy with the product.