HD Radio (Ibiquity IBOC) in Canada - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > AM/ FM, Internet Radio and Music Industry

Old 2008-04-22, 08:59 AM   #76
Random Dude

Are any of the Toronto stations broadcasting in HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-04-22, 12:33 PM   #77
ashteven

Thanks for the info, Rob50312. The problem is most definitely interference from 103.5, not from the car itself.

Do you think the problem is the Sony stereo, in that the FM sensitivity is rated 9dbf? In my other car, which uses a Pioneer deck with an FM sensitivity of 8dbf, there's barely any interference and the station comes in much more clear.
Old 2008-04-22, 05:32 PM   #78
rob50312

No Toronto stations in HD.The Pioneer tuners usually have better selectivity than most other brands.This is very important in dealing with stations adjacent to each other 103.5,103.3.Most manufactures list only alternate channel selectivitity.Look for higher numbers 70db or more.
Old 2008-04-25, 07:22 PM   #79
westsider
Rookie

Default RDS on HD Radio

The RDS, if a station has installed it (and many have), continues to remain operational on analog when the station equips ibiquity (IBOC) HD. HD radios seem to still present the analog RDS data on the display. I see the same messages (e.g. call sign, name of artist, name of track and/or advertisements) whether in HD mode or analog mode.

I was expecting a "digital" form of RDS but have not seen it. When the radio is locked in HD mode (which seems to require around a 55 to 60 dB carrier to noise ratio) and the signal is having a bad hair day (as in significant multipath) I have seen the RDS display incomplete or discontinuous messages.

With a low data rate like RDS they ought to throw in some error correction. However, the messages are usually repeated many times over and if someone really cares they can watch it for a while to figure it out (human error correction).

The call sign seems to be more robust. Perhaps the radio caches it.
Old 2008-06-27, 03:06 PM   #80
westsider
Rookie

Default DAB vs iBiquity

There are various L-band antennas (short LP yagis) for sale, posted on several EU websites. If you want to receive what is left of DAB in Vancouver, then an external antenna is likely necessary - unless you have a clear view of Mount Seymour. Before spending much effort, be aware that DAB is at high risk for going off the air in Canada, as people are watching the progress of the US IBOC (iBiquity) system.
Old 2008-06-27, 03:24 PM   #81
westsider
Rookie

Default Multiple Streams on Seatac area HD radio stations

Multiple streams are running on various HD stations in the Seatac area, with a few comings and goings of secondary stream programs. Per the Northwest Broadcasters list, about 50% of the HD stations are running an HD2. I have not heard any HD3 or HD4 stream (they are either not on the air or are more sensitive to reception impaiments). The HD2 stream seems to have similar robustness to the HD1 stream.

The strongest HD2 signals I receive (in Vancouver) are:
88.5 KPLU HD2: Jazz 24
94.9 KUOW HD2: KUOW2
97.3 KBSG HD2: Urban Adult Contemporary
99.9 KISW HD2: Live Rock
100.3 KMTT HD2: Roots and Blues
106.5 KWPZ HD2: Contemporary Christian (they've put Christian Rock on HD1)

It seems to be near impossible to get a lock on 107.7 KNDD ("The End") - I suspect they are not injecting a high enough HD modulation level.
Old 2008-06-27, 03:40 PM   #82
westsider
Rookie

Default HD sensitivity to co-channel interference

A while ago I suggested that even low levels of co-channel interference would clobber HD radio. We have seen the first test of this.

On 102.9 one used to receive KNBQ "Q-Country" in solid HD, an 80 kW station in the Tacoma area. Recently a new station popped up on the same channel - KLOI-PL, a 14 W station on Lopez Island. That little 14 watter crushed Q-Country HD and regularly captures the analog FM detector. That new station is 150 km closer and features local programs, like people calling in to sing a song on the air.

One more country and western signal "bites the dust".
Old 2008-06-27, 06:13 PM   #83
rob50312

Default HD Radio Co-channel Good

I have found that I can receive the US HD signal but not the analog .In Toronto 106.5 is meduim powered station which completely blocked 106.5 WYRK Buffalo 65 miles south.With HD radio I can sometimes get WYRK but only in HD.Sometimes WKSE 98.5 Buffalo analog gets co- channel interference from 98.5 Kitchener but their digital is always perfect.If the Canadian stations were to use HD radio then I will be out of luck.REgulators need to do a better job allocated stations and saying no ,there are no available FM slots.
Old 2008-06-27, 11:49 PM   #84
westsider
Rookie

rob50312 - that is really interesting. Being in Mississauga, that Toronto FM must not be too far away. I wonder if you are using a directional antenna? Directionals, like 6 or 10 elements, can work miracles - especially when a null between sidelobes is positioned towards the local station.
Old 2008-06-28, 10:30 AM   #85
rob50312

Westsider I am using 3 element yagi in the attic pointing at Buffalo.I am 30km from CN tower,105 km from downtown Buffalo.
Old 2008-08-26, 05:51 PM   #86
Random Dude

As far as I know, there's one HD radio station in Canada

CFRM-FM "The Island" on Manatoulin Island.

Any others?

This might be a ridiculous question, but is there such thing as a DAB/IBOC radio?
Old 2008-08-26, 09:34 PM   #87
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
As far as I know, there's one HD radio station in Canada
Good Catch! Wind power too. Interesting.

Now, as to DAB / IBOC, I don't know. Radioscape does make modules for industry. I *think* there is a DAB / IBOC module that a manufacturer can build a radio around. Oddly, I think one way to get DAB and IBOC market penetration would be to create iPod add-ons. There is a DAB one in Europe for the iPod. But a combo FM/IBOC/DAB one would be an interesting animal. :-)

Cameron
Old 2008-09-29, 05:30 PM   #88
SportsFan

Question SeaTac HD Radio in Vancouver/Victoria?

Is anyone getting HD Radio stations from Northwest Washington? What equipment are you using?
Old 2008-09-29, 08:06 PM   #89
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Only in my truck via my Alpine deck, and reception is mostly good to great in places south of the Fraser and high up in Burnaby and Coquitlam. It gets killed anywhere in the City of Vancouver except down by the river on the south side. For HD stations I'm usually trying to listen to KPLU-FM but I've picked up quite a few of the others.

Some time in the future I hope to add an HD Radio tuner to my home system with a good quality outdoor antenna.
Old 2008-10-01, 01:11 PM   #90
SportsFan

I did some more searching and found that westsider is getting some HD radio in Vancouver. Is it safe to assume a similar setup in Nanaimo would get about the the same?