Sound Bar Discussions (Yamaha, Polk, Etc) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2007-01-02, 12:12 PM   #76
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by idearat View Post
I'd love to go the YSP route, but I have no idea how it would work in my odd-shaped room (See the layout here). The blue represents the couch and opposite it, the plasma (soon to come...). Head to TV is about 9'.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks... Perry.
My entertainment room is quite similar to yours and I find the yamaha impressive. The calibration routine with the microphone that came with it is awesome.

I have the 1000 model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-05, 03:50 PM   #77
opsdl

Thanks HD Watcher.

Yes, I am now thinking of going with the Mirage UNI-Theater instead at the front with a subwoofer and Mirage satellites (don't know which ones are a good match for the UNI-Theater yet) at the back. Still haven't decided on 5.1 or 7.1.
Old 2007-01-30, 04:12 PM   #78
PeterIlis

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum.

I'm thinking about buying one of these but can't decide which one..

My room looks like this (sorry for the Swedish..):

The tv and bar will be placed at the big "C".

I would like the speaker to sit below the tv (looks..) and this would cause the "beams" to go straight into the chairs and the table to the left.. And also the wall to the left is so far away..

Would you choose Polk's surround bar if you where in my place?

Thanks
Peter
Old 2007-03-23, 09:46 PM   #79
Jaggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
1. the speaker will be most effective when it's at ear level. The further away it is from ear level, the less effective it becomes.

2. reflective surface is not an issue. In fact, the more reflective the better.
I have a similar problem as this post responds to about the ysp800 on top of a cabinet. Just bought the ysp800 and sub that yamaha made for it. The only place the wife lets me put it is on top of a built in cabinet, maybe 2 feet above my tv. My thought was to tilt it slightly downwards to help disburse sound more to the ears. Also, my sub has to go up there as well. Everything I read talks of putting subs in corners. Does that work if its near the ceiling?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggles; 2007-03-23 at 09:48 PM. Reason: incorrect quote.
Old 2007-03-23, 10:09 PM   #80
David Susilo
Veteran

that's the main problem with this technology, it works great if you follow the design spec requirements, outside of that it's a crapshoot. It'll somewhat works, but not optimally.
Old 2007-03-24, 08:36 AM   #81
Jaggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
that's the main problem with this technology, it works great if you follow the design spec requirements, outside of that it's a crapshoot. It'll somewhat works, but not optimally.
Thanks David. Kind of what i was guessing.

Is the sub located in a corner near the ceiling a bad idea?
Old 2007-03-24, 10:48 AM   #82

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I believe that a sub should be on the floor as part of the bass is transmitted through the floor itself, and for good solid support. I have no idea what sort of sub you would put near a ceiling.

In your earlier post you discuss angling the bar down - this may be good for the direct sound from the bar, however, it will not be appropriate for the reflected sound since it should be bouncing off the walls, which it will not do if aimed at the floor.

Your application doesn't sound appropriate for the bar/sub setup and you may wish to consider your options.
Old 2007-03-24, 04:45 PM   #83
Jaggles

As to angling it down, not at the floor but to kind of do a "bank shot" where the sound would bounce off the wall and towards listeners. A slight downward angle.

I really don't want the bass up there but the boss doesn't want it on the floor. Everything I read suggests for a single sub to put it in a corner first. This would be a corner placement but high instead of low. Would I be better off with it inside a cabinet behind closed doors? I wouldn't think so I am a novice.
Old 2007-03-26, 08:13 AM   #84
David Susilo
Veteran

your assumption is correct. You don't want to put an enclosure around an enclosure.
Old 2007-08-19, 11:27 PM   #85
redwog

Default Mounting?

I just purchased an 800 (On sale Electronic Express $599) for a sunroom I am building. I would like to mount it under my 32" Samsung on a swingarm wall mount BUT Cant find one with a shelf under for the soundbar?!?!
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 2007-10-13, 06:04 PM   #86
Lotusman
Rookie

Default YSP 1100

I bought the Yamaha YSP 1100 as a solution to not ripping up our carpets to install normal surround sound speakers and set it up as instructed. I sold my Definitive Technology satellite speakers used in our previous home and I'd do anything to get them back.
Old 2007-10-26, 04:12 PM   #87
Pubknight

Default Yamaha YSP1100 vs YSP800

Due to some constraints (read: I'm married), I am unable to do a proper surround sound setup.

As a result I've been looking at virtual surround systems.
I believe I have decided on the Yamaha YSP.

My question is, especially for anyone that has one, is the 1100 worth the difference in price over the 800?
Where I've looked so far the price difference is significant ($1500 vs $850 more or less).

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by 57; 2007-10-26 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
Old 2008-03-04, 02:23 PM   #88
Black_Jacques_Shellac

Time to bring this thread back from the dead.

I decided to get the Polk from FS when it was on clearance for $470. I wanted to keep my receiver and I was concerned about my room characteristics with the Yamaha. I'd listened to the Yamaha in a store and was impressed.

My room is rectangular, but it's a shared room, dining and living, divided equally. My TV is parallel against the long wall, placed 1/4 width on the right side.

18' x 14'

-------------------------------------
||||||||||||||||||||||||ysp bar|||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
-------------------------------------

I kept reading that the bar doesn't use wall reflections, but that is complete rubbish. The surround effect and stereo width was vastly more noticeable on my right side, which is significantly closer than my left side. Also, unless I was dead center, on axis, the stereo imaging and surround field completely collapsed and it sounded like two very small speakers placed very close to each other.

I immediately went to a store demo-ing the Yamaha and had a listen to get an idea of the sweet spot size. It was massive by comparison. I bought the demo at $600 (sadly the 800 was on for $495 2 weeks earlier at Bestbuy). When I brought it home, I had to run the auto setup and after listening for a few days tweaked it manually to optimize sound. Despite my off center placement, my sound field is quite good, noticeably asymmetrical, but hey, no miracles were expected. The sweet spot is massive.

Compared to the Polk it was night and day. The Yamaha had a much larger and convincing soundfield. The Polk never extended beyond 180 degrees, most of the time I'd even characterize what I heard as 150 degrees. The deal breaker on the Polk was the complete collapse of the soundfield moving just one cushion over from center on my couch.

I should be thankful though. Had the Polk had a larger sweet spot, I wouldn't have bought the Yamaha and would never have learned how much better it is.

The only good things I can say about the Polk is that it looked better and it's frequency response was very smooth and natural. The Yamaha by comparison sounds a bit tinny.

This replaced a 6.1 Paradigm setup with dipolar surrounds.
Old 2008-03-06, 10:10 AM   #89
canadaneedsmusi

Black_Jacques... very good to hear. Makes my upcoming decision seem more like the right one.

I'm personally looking at the Yamaha YSP 3000 because of the HDMI mostly. My room will also have a "hole" somewhere. I'm moving into a new condo so I'm not sure where everything will be setup, but there will either be an opening either on one of the sides, or at the rear. But I think the Yamaha is going to be my best option for economics, looks, and wiring. HDMI from HTPC to Yamaha, and then HDMI to TV? Sounds about as little wiring as I could ever have.

I should be picking one up by mid April at the latest.
Old 2008-03-06, 01:31 PM   #90
hi-def

Sound and Vision magazine has just put up an article comparing seven different soundbars. The Yamaha ysp4000 gets top nod but is also tops in dollars. Check it out at:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/