Which DVD Player are you using for your HDTV? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 2005-10-20, 08:22 AM   #16
RobZie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 13
Default

Do any of those players upconvert through component?
RobZie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 2005-10-20, 08:49 AM   #17
jvincent
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZie
Do any of those players upconvert through component?
Most players do not upconvert through component unless they have been "flashed" or put into a special mode since Macrovision protection prevents upconversion over component.

My DVD player is a PC, connected by component to my current HDTV, so Macrovision isn't a problem for me. And once the BluRay / HD-DVD war is settled, I'll just pop in a new drive and be compatible.
jvincent is online now  
Old 2005-10-20, 10:36 AM   #18
ag76
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I just bought Sony's DVP-NS70H DVD Player with Precision Cinema Progressive. Jeez, I sound like a commercial.

Feedback? Comments?
ag76 is offline  
Old 2005-10-20, 12:35 PM   #19
Marbuck
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag76
Feedback? Comments?
I've got the same DVD player. When my TV arrives tomorrow, I'll be able to test it and give some feedback. It seems like a good unit for the price.
Marbuck is offline  
Old 2005-10-20, 01:54 PM   #20
protovision
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, ON CA (bloor/jarvis)
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent
My DVD player is a PC, connected by component to my current HDTV, so Macrovision isn't a problem for me. And once the BluRay / HD-DVD war is settled, I'll just pop in a new drive and be compatible.
Hope you have a 3+ghz processor in that PC for HD

I use my modded Xbox, which upconverts, depending on the dvd software I use. Unfortunatly, it will not play back any sort of HD media (wmvhd, divxhd, etc) reliably, too much for the poor p3 733 inside it.

As with a lot of others, I'll be buying a xbox360 only once it has been cracked for mods. My Xbox is 200 times more useful now with the mod then without.

protovision
protovision is offline  
Old 2005-10-20, 04:25 PM   #21
Marbuck
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Posts: 38
Default

Sony DSP-NS575P here.
Marbuck is offline  
Old 2005-10-20, 05:17 PM   #22
GMAN
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag76
Feedback? Comments?
I've taken the Sony DVP-NS70H DVD Player for a test drive over the last few days now. In comparison to my 2 year old Sony DVD player, the NS70H is much better at picture detail. This is probably due to the upconvergence and the HDMI ability. There are lights on the front of the unit to let you know if progressive scan is operating and if the HDMI connection is too. Also, some other added features in regards to slow and fast motion play. It's even easier to find the right spot on your DVD by forward or reverse motion. And the step-by-step play is fun as well.
GMAN is offline  
Old 2005-10-20, 07:52 PM   #23
jvincent
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovision
Hope you have a 3+ghz processor in that PC for HD

I use my modded Xbox, which upconverts, depending on the dvd software I use. Unfortunatly, it will not play back any sort of HD media (wmvhd, divxhd, etc) reliably, too much for the poor p3 733 inside it.
HD playback is fine on my 2.4G P4. Note that there's no need to upconvert HD. It's already high res enough.

Also, a lot of the actual upconversion work and mpeg/wmv decoding is handled by the newer graphics cards. So depending on how post-processing intensive you want to be a relatively modest PC can do quite well.
jvincent is online now  
Old 2005-10-21, 12:50 PM   #24
MediaRoomManiac
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ajax, ON
Posts: 299
Default

If I recall correctly, the Panasonic S97/S77's (with the Faroudja DCDi chip) causes macoblocking to occur on the set. I have not witnessed this myself as I do not own this player, but I have a friend who does and it didn't show on his player/set (52HMX84). This is just what i've read on other forums.

Has anyone heard any news on the new upconverting Toshiba SD6980? MSRP: $269.00

Here's a short feature list:
Single Disc Tray
Progressive Scan
HDMI™ Output (720p/1081i) Upconversion
DVD-Audio/SACD Playback
DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/VCD/MP3/WMA
HD JPEG Viewer
DivX Playback
Universal Remote Control with TV Controls
24 bit/192KHz PCM Audio Compatibility
10 in 2 Card Slot Supports: Memory Stick/Memory Stick Pro/Memory Stick Duo/SD Card/Mini SD/Smart Media Card/Multi Media Card/Compac Flash/Micro Drive/XD Picture Card

It's not available at BB or FS (at least not on their website yet). Looks to be a worthy contender to the Panny/Denon now, since the previous model Tosh DVD Players were sub par and had poor PQ from many user reviews. I'm doing research now as I am planning to purchase the 52HMX85 end of this year and need a good upconverting DVD player to go with this set after I buy it.

Thanks all!
__________________
Sony KDL46HX800, BDPS470|Pio 1020|PS3 80G|Athena AS-F1s, C1|Energy VMinis, V10|Moto VIP1232|HOne|APC UPS
MediaRoomManiac is offline  
Old 2005-10-22, 02:22 AM   #25
EMAGDNIM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 91
Default

I'm in the market for a new DVD player for my Christmas gift (Front PJ). I'm looking at the Panasonic S77, Sony DVP-NS70H, and the Samsung HD850. I have seen the 850 in action and it looks great, but I have not seen the Panny or Sony in action. I have heard great things about alll of them.

Right now Its a toss up. I guess I have to do some more reading on it...
EMAGDNIM is offline  
Old 2005-10-23, 07:52 PM   #26
Hossss
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3
Default

Im also looking at a new dvd player.. and I need some recomondations...
Requirements are
-Up convert to 1080i, tv only suppots this format for some reason
-The up converting needs to be threw the componets
-The player needs to be within a reasonable price..
- perfer one that can up convert all material, and with no firm ware updates but can do the firm ware if needed

The componets upconverting can be changed if some one knows if i can display 1080i threw the bell high def reciver 6100 without the HDMI output

BtW this new restrictions on newbies creating a thread is wierd, wondering if this will ever be read and responded to.
Hossss is offline  
Old 2005-10-24, 08:32 PM   #27
ricoman
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaRoomManiac

Has anyone heard any news on the new upconverting Toshiba SD6980? MSRP: $269.00

Here's a short feature list:
Single Disc Tray
Progressive Scan
HDMI™ Output (720p/1081i) Upconversion
DVD-Audio/SACD Playback
DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/VCD/MP3/WMA
HD JPEG Viewer
DivX Playback
Universal Remote Control with TV Controls
24 bit/192KHz PCM Audio Compatibility
10 in 2 Card Slot Supports: Memory Stick/Memory Stick Pro/Memory Stick Duo/SD Card/Mini SD/Smart Media Card/Multi Media Card/Compac Flash/Micro Drive/XD Picture Card

It's not available at BB or FS (at least not on their website yet). Looks to be a worthy contender to the Panny/Denon now, since the previous model Tosh DVD Players were sub par and had poor PQ from many user reviews. I'm doing research now as I am planning to purchase the 52HMX85 end of this year and need a good upconverting DVD player to go with this set after I buy it.

Thanks all!
I looked at several upconverting dvd players including the Toshiba. As you can see from the spec, it doesn't play +R media. Most of my backups are +R so I went with the LG DVB418 and am very happy with it. For the price (approx. $179 at Circuit City or Best Buy, but I've seen it on sale for as low as $149) it's a best buy, plays every thing. If you play DL discs, make sure you set the booktype to dvd-rom when you burn it. It is really very near HD quality, actually better than some of the mediocre HD channels, but not quite as good as the really good ones. All in all, I've had it for 5-6 months and would buy it again if I was looking now. Only thing is that you need to buy an HDMI cable, it doesn't come with it.
ricoman is offline  
Old 2005-10-26, 05:41 PM   #28
Scottatah
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 93
Default

so...are they really worth it comparing it to a normal dvd player. The guy i talked to at bestbuy, maybe he just didn't wanna talk to me about them, maybe he fits the box store stereotype...but none the less he tore the upconverting receivers apart saying that they're essentially useless and won't make a difference at all. Simply just go with a regular dvd player if you want one.

(and it's not like they weren't in stock cause there was a buncha box's below)
Scottatah is offline  
Old 2005-10-26, 07:33 PM   #29
biglyle
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ThunderBay,ON
Posts: 953
Default

After testing about 10 players I went with the Panasonic S97 and could not be happier. It is the best player I have ever seen for the price.
biglyle is offline  
Old 2005-10-26, 08:12 PM   #30
Q
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 3,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglyle
After testing about 10 players I went with the Panasonic S97 and could not be happier. It is the best player I have ever seen for the price.
Other than the OPPO player I agree. I read it was one of the best players under $1000.
Q is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.

Search Digital Home

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.