A couple Of Questions About DAB - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2002 and Prior

Old 2002-11-17, 07:45 AM   #1
Khorn

Default A couple Of Questions About DAB

I have been actively trying to ge info about DAB for a while now. The official site is useless and behind times. The form for questions and feedback they have doesn't work.

I have been interested in DAB mainly because of the capability of the display/readout. Why?, Well I don't know about you but I gey really when I hear a piece of music on FM that I like but will never ever be able to find out what it was. That very situation caused me to dump my Magnum Dynalab tuner and give up FM entirely.

I am primarily interestd in DAB for home use. As far as I am aware there was only one home reciever (tuner/integreated amp) manufactured. If I'm not mistaken it is by Arcam and we are talking $2500 here. Not a great way to capture the mass market!

I was told that DAB is a line of site reception siuation. Is this true? If so I'm outta luck 'cause I just moved into the lower unit of a stacked Townhouse. FM is OK but AM stinks in part due to a great amount of metal used in this new construction design. I guess I'll have to go to FM/AM cable.

I was also told that Radio Shack was making a push to DB by introducing a variety of receivers both portable and home units.
If so, that's news to them. If you can find someone whose reaction isn't HUH? when you mention DAB then they tell you there are only two pocket units and there will be no home units for the forseeable future. Is this true?

OK now, I have been someone who has actively gone out of their way to seek info about DAB but run into a "brick wall" at every turn!! Audio dealers don't know anything about it and their suppliers haven't even mentioned any hardware.

I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about DAB, for unless things such as educated sales people and wide spread public info become available this thing is going to go over like A LEAD BALOON too bad it might have had some potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2002-11-17, 12:30 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Sony make an XM unit for car/home - US$300. Probably not compatible with Canadian DAB though. Just thought you'd like to know.

http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/produ...jsp?type=Tuner

Also typed Sony DAB in to a search engine and found a Sony 777 or something like that for about $1k.

I'm sure hornhonker will have lots more information for you.
Old 2002-11-17, 10:03 PM   #3
HornHonker

I'm not aware of any nonEuropean DAB home systems and I don't think they have made it to Canada as yet. 99,000 systems sold in Germany during the month of May so it has really started to takeoff over there. Another reason it is proving popular is the Germans have kept to the high quality 256K data rate resulting in CD quality broadcasts. Sources tell me Canada will also maintain this same data rate on it's systems so they should really perform.

Comparative quality with XM and Sirius radio should be pretty spectacular as they have only 64-96k quality. They work well in a high noise mobile environment but I think are not upto it for home audiofile systems.

Be happy Toronto has DAB, we have nothing here is Victoria yet.
Old 2002-11-18, 12:41 PM   #4
JohnnyG
Veteran

Khorn, DAB is not line-of-site. For now, I'd recommend picking up one of the portable units from Radio Shack (I don't know about in-store, but they are on the web site and Radio Shack has a decent return policy) and just jacking it into your receiver/amp. At $300 it's relatively inexpensive and, if nothing more, will give you an idea of what DAB is all about. Then, as better equipment comes to market, you can decide whether upgrading is worth the cost to you.