LG LDA-530 DIVX player anyone? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2005-10-21, 11:10 AM   #31
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp
Please test the hell out of it...
I would if I weren't so lazy. Sorry!

But I will be trying out a PAL-encoded version of AC/DC's "Stiff Upper Lip" concert and the XviD copy of "Star Wreck" that I recently got. For what it's worth, I'll report on how well those work out.
Advertisement

Old 2005-10-22, 12:02 AM   #32
eljay
DHC Supporter

I spent 2-1/2 hours tonight trying out the LDA-530 (using component video and digital coax audio). The menu was straightforward and the remote is pretty user-friendly, so set-up was quick. The tray is as flimsy as some reviews indicate, but as long as you don't push down too hard when removing a disc, it's a non-issue. The player is a bit noisy when searching, but fairly quiet at all other times.

I had no problems playing the PAL- and XviD-encoded "Star Wreck" CD, the PAL-encoded AC/DC concert DVD or any of the DVD-R "back up" DVDs I have ("LOTR", "Hellboy", etc.).

I also played clips from "Monsters, Inc.", "Spider-Man", "Toy Story" and "The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over" and looked for image discrepancies between the LG player and my Panasonic DVD-RP62. To the best of my vision, there was no difference - both players handled all material equally well, although the LG went one step better than the Panasonic and didn't display the occasional red flicker I see with the latter.

For $80, it seems like a hell of a deal.

Last edited by eljay; 2005-10-22 at 12:40 AM.
Old 2005-10-23, 03:46 PM   #33
que3jxp
Veteran

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds good!
Old 2005-11-16, 02:30 PM   #34
bigmac

Anyone know how this unit handles burned double-layered DVD+/-R's full of DiVX (ie., .avi) files?
Old 2005-11-16, 02:32 PM   #35
atari8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Anyone know how this unit handles burned double-layered DVD+/-R's full of DiVX (ie., .avi) files?
yup, no problems. I've got a DVD-DL+R with a 8GB worth of avi files and it plays them great all the way through
Old 2005-11-16, 03:08 PM   #36
bigmac

Thanks for the quick reply, atari8472! Futureshop has this on right now for $69.99!
Old 2005-11-28, 10:35 AM   #37
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious
There was no image from the clip but the sound was coming through OK. The screen was just the background screen the player displays.

The xvid came from a down load of 24 from a Rogers newsgroup. This is the name in case anyone else has downloaded these things:

24.s04e23.hr.hdtv.ac3.5.1.xvid-ctu.avi
That's normal as all HR material is presented in a resolution not supported by the player, so don't bother trying to play anything that was captured from an HR source.

I know it sucks, but that's how it is.
Old 2005-11-28, 10:48 AM   #38
Strat

Quote:
Please test the hell out of it and report back...

PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE

I've had it for almost 2 months and it works flawlessly and plays 99% of the material I have. The only files that it won't play is HR-captured stuff (too high a resolution) and *really* old AVI files and even those were the exception as I have lots of old stuff and it couldn't play only 3 files so far.

I've watched so much stuff in the past couple of months that if I didn't find anything wrong with it, there's nothing to worry about. I'm extremely hard to please, but I am still thrilled about this machine. Get it now!
Old 2005-11-28, 12:24 PM   #39
que3jxp
Veteran

Thanks for the feedback Strat.

I will have to take a pass on the 530 and focus on the 531 as I DL most of my TV shows in HD format.
Old 2005-11-28, 07:42 PM   #40
zeta_msz_006

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Strat.

I will have to take a pass on the 530 and focus on the 531 as I DL most of my TV shows in HD format.
The 530 and 531 have the same spec when it comes to playing divx files, they both will only play files that are under 720x576 resolution. Any files with higher res. you will not get the display other than the LG logo and sound from the file.
Old 2005-11-29, 02:58 AM   #41
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta_msz_006
The 530 and 531 have the same spec when it comes to playing divx files, they both will only play files that are under 720x576 resolution. Any files with higher res. you will not get the display other than the LG logo and sound from the file.
100% exact... which is why I hope you'll reconsider. The 530 is a great machine that costs 100$ less than the 531. It's the best 70$ I ever spent, bar none!
Old 2005-12-04, 02:38 AM   #42
Dandaman2212

Default LG LDA-530 Playing Xvid Files

How is the LG LDA-530 for playing xvid files ?
I am asking this because on videohelp some people said this
"because of the MTK1389 chipset this machine does suffer from the packed bitstream issue for XviD files"

other Quote

"There was a few pixelation issues with an XviD movie I played (Red Eye on a Sony CD-R)"

Did anybody on this forum have a problem like this with xvid files?
Old 2005-12-07, 12:11 PM   #43
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandaman2212
How is the LG LDA-530 for playing xvid files?
Absolutely perfect. Rarely, you might see some pixelation that'll last for 1 or 2 secs, but it's so rare that I can count on one hand the number of times it's happened and I watched hours and hours and hours of content ever since getting that device.

The one thing you have to remember is that the player is very sensitive to the cleanliness of the discs, meaning that if you have even a tiny bit of dirt on it (hair, a grain of sand, whatever else...), you'll see this pixelation. More often than not, that's what causes the problem. Nevertheless, you have to remember that the pixelation will occur (*if* it ever occurs) maybe for 1 sec, *maybe!*

I also initially thought the pixelation would carry on for long periods of time, which gave me pause, but after witnessing it only a handful of times after spending countless hours watching XviD and DiVX-encoded files, I can assure you the quality is great and the pixelation only occurs for a fraction of a second in most cases.
Old 2005-12-07, 04:56 PM   #44
Dandaman2212

Default Awsome thanx for the feedback STrat

Awsome Thanx for the feedback Strat .
Gone go pick me one up at FS.Their on sale for 80$ .
Old 2005-12-07, 06:34 PM   #45
Strat

No problem, man. My pleasure. Also, in case nobody's mentioned it yet, there are some hacked firmware online that you can flash this device with that'll render it regionless.