LG LDA-530 DIVX player anyone? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2005-05-09, 05:23 PM   #1
captqbec

Question LG LDA-530 DIVX player anyone?

hi,
Futureshop has this at 89$ ....was wondering if someone knows anything about this player...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-05-16, 01:05 PM   #2
glaganie

Thumbs up Sounds good so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captqbec
hi,
Futureshop has this at 89$ ....was wondering if someone knows anything about this player...

Hi!

I've just bought it last friday... Plays everything from legit audio CD to DVD home-burned with alot of mp3s... awesome!

I think it doesn't support HDTV though... But on my very basic and standard TV, it does a helluva job! It played all the DivX and xviD (from various and sometimes obscure sources) I managed to throw at it yet!
I definately would have liked it to show titles on its tiny screen, but it's too much to ask for a so small price!!
The remote is far better than my former Panasonic 5-DVD changer, for which I paid 250$ two years ago!!!
Old 2005-05-18, 11:04 PM   #3
Samurai

I was thinking about getting this one because of divx and xvid. and I was also thinking about the philips 642, the thing is that my friend told me playing normal dvd on the philips aren't that great compare to other dvd players. so I was wondering how good picture quality this one is when playing normal dvd. and do anyone know if it has options for divx subtitles?

Last edited by Samurai; 2005-05-18 at 11:09 PM.
Old 2005-05-19, 11:08 AM   #4
cgi bin laden

Superb machine - after 3 months of research into different options for palying my DivX/XVid files (including XBox hacked and the DLink media gateway) just bought one yesterday - plays EVERYTHING! Very simple to use too.

It is comparable to the Philips in price, but not in quality. LG are by far the best manufacturer of parts at the moment - at teh "every man" end of the spectrum and don't forget, up until very recently, LG made all the parts for Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba anyway - they just decided to start doing their own branding instead of letting other people take the credit for their hard work!

I'd recommend it without reservation
Old 2005-05-21, 02:03 PM   #5
digiR

can you guys try to see if it supports subtitles? like .srt or .sub files?
or maybe an option to load the subtitles. I would really appreciate it.
Old 2005-05-27, 12:56 PM   #6
imback

Also, can someone try PAL DivX material ?
Old 2005-05-27, 01:07 PM   #7
atari8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiR
can you guys try to see if it supports subtitles? like .srt or .sub files?
or maybe an option to load the subtitles. I would really appreciate it.
yes it does. I forgot which one it was (sub or srt) but I was able to turn the subs on/off with the remote. there were two files in the folder (one movie1.avi and the other one movie1.sub or movie1.srt)
Old 2005-05-27, 01:10 PM   #8
atari8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by imback
Also, can someone try PAL DivX material ?
yes it plays both PAL DVDs and *.avis on NTSC TV set
Old 2005-05-27, 01:13 PM   #9
atari8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I was thinking about getting this one because of divx and xvid. and I was also thinking about the philips 642, the thing is that my friend told me playing normal dvd on the philips aren't that great compare to other dvd players. so I was wondering how good picture quality this one is when playing normal dvd. and do anyone know if it has options for divx subtitles?
the PS PQ gotten on par with my other player (Sony 725P) after I've changed the blackennes level setting in the settings menu. And yes it supports remote switchable subtitles for AVI files
Old 2005-05-31, 11:32 PM   #10
Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari8472
the PS PQ gotten on par with my other player (Sony 725P) after I've changed the blackennes level setting in the settings menu. And yes it supports remote switchable subtitles for AVI files
Thanks for reassuring me that. Actually I got this dvd player about a week ago now. So far, the quality of it exceed my expectations, and I could play most of the files I have. The dvd quality is good, divx and xvid quality is also good, in fact better than I thought. And yes, it can play pal materials straight out of the box, but of course it isn't region free yet(until somebody found a hack for it).

Overall, this dvd player has pretty good on screen menu, nice exterior design I thought, because the power button and eject button is on top of the dvd player so it's easy to find which button to press in the dark.

One thing I didn't like about is is when I play my dvd full of mp3s on the thing, it doesn't have screen saver. I noticed that if you are on the menu(and not playing a divx file or whatever), it will have screen saver and auto shut off. But if you are playing a music file, the screen saver will never come out. The thing is I don't have a home theatre system or external speakers, so if I play music files I have to turn on my tv, and the static image of the menu while playing music files will cause screen burn. well, it's not really a big deal I guess....but I wish it has screen saver, cause I really hate to see screen burn on my projection tv....hmm....must find a way to solve this problem(other than getting a receiver and speakers)

Oh yeah, overall I'm still very very satisfied with the divx quality of this dvd player even on my sony 46"crt rear projection tv. so if you just have a normal direct view tv or dlp or lcd, I'm sure the divx will look a lot better.
Old 2005-05-31, 11:44 PM   #11
testikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari8472
yes it plays both PAL DVDs and *.avis on NTSC TV set
Just curious if anyone tried DivX 5.x playback, specifically HD DivX clips (1920x1080)?
Old 2005-06-15, 07:30 PM   #12
bobnoxious

I just found this forum!

I took a CD into Future Shop today and had the sales rep hook up the LDA530 to a monitor to check the player out.

There was no image from the clip but the sound was coming through OK. The screen was just the background screen the player displays.

The xvid came from a down load of 24 from a Rogers newsgroup. This is the name in case anyone else has downloaded these things:

24.s04e23.hr.hdtv.ac3.5.1.xvid-ctu.avi

The video is letter boxed 960 x 528.

The clip has AC3 video. I thought that the audio would be the problem not the video as my search on the web for the LDA530 lead me to believe that the player did not have a built in AC3 decoder and that a digital connection to a surround-sound system would be needed. But audio did come out of the analog stereo outputs.

It is a pity the player didn't work as I am tired of having to hook up the laptop to the TV to watch the shows I download.
Old 2005-06-15, 11:50 PM   #13
atari8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious
The video is letter boxed 960 x 528.
I believe the resolution is too high for the player to handle. User manual lists 720x576 as the maximum resolution for DivX files.

look into HD DivX Players, like this one: http://www.oppodigital.com/ ... it handles high resolutions
Old 2005-06-27, 01:23 PM   #14
PlaceHolder

I was just into my local Future Shop to buy the LDA-530, and for $100 more (ie $200) they have an LDA-531 that supports upconverting to HD and an HDMI port. I donno if it can actually do hi-res video or not as I don't even have an HDTV yet, but I thought I'd let you know, in case anyone else wanted to report on it...
Old 2005-06-27, 01:26 PM   #15
PlaceHolder

Default Maybe the LDA-531 can handle hi-res DivX?

Head back to your store and test out the LDA-531... it has HDTV output, maybe it can handle your hi-res file, and you can report the good news here. :-)