Ultimate copy protection? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2002 and Prior

Old 2002-09-17, 09:41 AM   #1
harmer
Veteran

Default Ultimate copy protection?

Slow day, nothing to do, thought I would reread my Toshiba
RPTV owners manual. :lol:
My set is the TP61H95, about 2 yrs. old.
Under section:Connecting External Equipment-
When "COLOR STREAM" or "DTV TERMINAL" is selected,
the VIDEO OUT jack will not output a signal.
To receive a VIDEO OUT signal, a VIDEO or S-VIDEO IN jack must be used instead of the ColorStream connection.

So when I watch a DVD through the ColorStream connection,
I cannot make any copies of the disc.

P.S. Also noted, this is the only place the manual shows that the set has "DTV INTERFACE TERMINAL" jacks available for the color difference signals 1080i, 480p, and 480i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2002-09-17, 09:53 AM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Default Re: Ultimate copy protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmer
. So when I watch a DVD through the ColorStream connection, I cannot make any copies of the disc.
Correct, but if you connect the DVD player directly to the VCR and your VCR to the TV, and the original DVD is not copy protected, you could make a copy of the DVD (Harry Potter for example). Most DVDs are copy protected with "Macrovision".

Once you've made your copy, you'll want to connect the DVD Player to the TV/Receiver directly to get the best signal and digital audio. Another way would be to run the DVD player "through" a receiver and switch it to the VCR to be able to record. Again, you'd lose the digital sound when making a recording.

See this thread.
Old 2002-09-17, 03:30 PM   #3
JohnnyG
Veteran

That really has nothing to do with copy protection, harmer. They'd have to convert the YPrPb signal into composite or s-video and that circuitry would add to the price of the set and provide very little benefit. To convert 480i component might not be too expensive, but to convert 480p or 1080i would be.
Old 2002-09-17, 03:47 PM   #4
harmer
Veteran

I thought it was to prevent you from making a digital copy of a digital source such as a DVD or HD TV program.
Old 2002-09-17, 04:01 PM   #5
JohnnyG
Veteran

Nope. It's for the same reason that A/V receivers generally don't convert between their composite, s-video and component video inputs.