Purchasing From U.S. Vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, other Issues, etc. - Page 36 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

View Poll Results: How would you rate purchasing from U.S. vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, etc.
Excellent 72 19.30%
Very Good 94 25.20%
Satisfactory 85 22.79%
Troublesome 71 19.03%
Poor 18 4.83%
Never Again 7 1.88%
I buy only from Canada, you insensitive, unpatriotic clod! 26 6.97%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-10, 01:20 PM   #526
thebone

Default US Shipping Addresses

Hi gang.

I currently live 45 minutes from the US border but I am wondering if anyone has any idea about reputable services that allow shipping, either me obtaining some sort of po box, or some middle company that ships on to me here in canada ?

There's a service i came across called ship to the border that will send it to a holding depot. Does anyone have any experience ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-10, 01:30 PM   #527
metalhawk

Depends on where you're living. In the Ottawa area, there's a couple of well known ones in Ogdensburg, NY. Roethel Parcel Service and the UPS Store. Both will hold your parcels for a minimal cost per week.
Old 2012-03-10, 01:48 PM   #528
gzink

You have to tell us where you live. There lots of services, even ones that reship for good prices. Duty is basically non-existant for those who still use it as a reason....baloney!
Old 2012-03-11, 03:37 AM   #529
thebone

Sorry. Live in New Brunswick.
Old 2012-03-16, 07:47 PM   #530
wilspin
Corporate Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAChemist View Post
I want to order some things from Parts Express Online. They are situated in Dayton OH. The UPS charge for shipping (calculated through Parts Express online ordering) is like $17 USD.

Now my question is, does this charge cover shipping to my door or will I be zinged for some "hidden" charge or duty or something?

Anyone have any experience ordering from Parts Express?
no it does not. UPS will zing you dearly.

Twinntech supports Digital Home
Old 2012-03-16, 09:37 PM   #531
gzink

You will be zinged!!! If UPS but I went to the site and they say they partner with Fedex and USPS. I saw no UPS reference.
Old 2012-03-16, 10:02 PM   #532
DSgamby
Veteran

From their FAQ

Quote:
Do I have to pay custom fees, duty fees, and taxes on my international shipment?

Custom fees, duty, and taxes are determined by the destination country. In some cases, fees are pre-paid by Fed Ex and billed to you within 10 days of package delivery. Otherwise, custom/duty fees are payable prio to Customs release. If you are unsure of the potential custom/duty fees required by your country, please contact your border services agency before proceeding with your order.

Unclaimed/refused orders are deemed abandoned and seized by the carrier. We do not accept or refund abandoned orders.

Do I have to pay a broker fee for my international shipment?

Broker fees are imposed to move goods thru the border clearing process. Fed Ex will act as the broker unless you specify a broker of your choosing at the time of clearing.

Fed Ex does not charge broker fees for International Economy Service to Canada.

Why did you switch from UPS to Fed Ex?

Fed Ex has ranked # 1 in the Express Delivery industry for 12 consecutive years. We are confident they will support our standard of fast and secure shipments to our customers.
Old 2012-05-15, 10:19 PM   #533
KLF66
Rookie

Default Smart-TV purchase in US?

Has anyone purchased a "smart tv" in the US? The reason I ask is the obvious price difference btw Canadian & US retail. For example, the 60" Sharp LCD I have my eye on seems to be in the $3,100 to $3,300 range - whereas State-side it seems to be $1,800 to $2,000.

Aside from the obvious non-recognition of the warranty if I were to purchase in the US, is there any reason why the "smart" functions on a US-based TV would not work back here in Canada? In particular, there are options for subscriptions to services like Netflix, etc. But as I see elsewhere on the web, there are hacks to get these types of US-based services in Canada regardless.

I am just assuming that all a "smart TV" really is simply a TV w/ built-in WiFi that can tap into my home network and pull in content regardless of where the set is sold.

Thanks in advance,
KLF66
Old 2013-06-08, 11:35 AM   #534
tseto

Default US vs Canadian purchase

Looking to purchase a G box midnight Mx2, sourced it to Amazon.com. the price is $97.00 US + $9.50 shipping, shipped from US wholesale supplier. being a Canadian, clicked on the maple leaf. The price now changed to $143.99 , a whooping 45% increase in price from the same seller. With US and Canadian dollar almost at par, what justify the huge price difference? What stops me from ordering from Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca. or maybe wait for the quad core version instead?
Old 2013-06-08, 11:42 AM   #535
eljay
DHC Supporter

Funny, I went to Checkout with that item and got a Standard Shipping charge of $24.30.

Anyway, nothing actually prevents you from ordering with Amazon.com. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that some manufacturers won't honour warranty on a product in Canada if it was purchased in the U.S.

(This is true, for example, with many (most?) brands of AVRs.)
Old 2013-06-08, 02:24 PM   #536
gzink

From .com you may also get hit with a $9.95 Canada Post charge as they collect GST from you, but....the last package to me they did not collect PST!!
The distributors often dictate the price and there has been some media reporting that our prices are due to the cost of doing business in Canada and also some of the difference is "because they can". We seem to be willing to pay more.
Old 2013-06-25, 06:03 PM   #537
darcraver

Does anyone know of the nearest US A/V store to Vancouver that sells the new Panasonic plasmas? Local stores have the 65VT50 for $3999, but I've seen US online stores selling it for $2500.
Old 2013-08-31, 01:13 PM   #538
disneyandbond

Default Buying TV in US + having shipped to Canada (not pickup)

Live too far from border (and without truck) to make pickup doable. Friend of mine in US just paid $1900 for a 60VT60 plasma that retails for $3300 up here in Alberta. He is in a tax free state too, so $1900 means 1900. So was thinking if it is doable to try and buy from same place he purchased from (if the store will let me - might go for 55" model instead), and then ship to Canada via something like uShip (where ppl bid on shipping your goods)

Has anyone here done this? Any considerations to be aware of? (special charges at border beyond GST?) Any experience bidding and shipping with uSHip? I figure if I can pay $100-200 for shipping I will still be way ahead of local prices. Or do I just save the hassle and buy a $1500 ST60 up here LOL.

Worst of all my 50VT25 has a line in the panel again so not keen to be buying panasonic again after this 2 year old panel is acting up, but they do still have the market cornered on pic quality...

Thanks!
Old 2013-08-31, 01:30 PM   #539

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Your post was moved to this existing thread on the topic. You may wish to read some recent posts. You need to be concerned with:

Duty, if applicable
Taxes
Shipping
Possible damage
Warranty - may not be under warranty in Canada.
Etc.
Old 2013-08-31, 03:11 PM   #540
disneyandbond

Hi thanks I didn't realize it needed to be under this thread as a lot of posts seemed to refer to small shipments not large TVs cross border. Specifically interested if others have used Uship before (or similar service) Am aware of GST at border, obviously some duty too since it is baked into the Canadian prices.