Purchasing From U.S. Vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, other Issues, etc. - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

View Poll Results: How would you rate purchasing from U.S. vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, etc.
Excellent 72 19.35%
Very Good 94 25.27%
Satisfactory 85 22.85%
Troublesome 70 18.82%
Poor 18 4.84%
Never Again 7 1.88%
I buy only from Canada, you insensitive, unpatriotic clod! 26 6.99%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-02-23, 05:51 PM   #181
Dmax

thanks que

are taxes GST only or GST AND PST?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-02-23, 05:53 PM   #182
que3jxp
Veteran

It could be both but likely only GST. In NB it would be HST.

In theory, it is supposed to be based on either the final destination or by port of import if it is a persona (Casual) import. Quite often (Even for NB), shipments are only charged with GST on the value.
Old 2007-03-30, 06:56 PM   #183
dinkeye

Default a little help please

OK, so I am buying an amplifier for my car. The amp here goes for roughly $400 CAD. I can get the amp from the US for $199 USD plus $14 USD shipping through UPS Ground. So the total would be $213 USD = $255 CAD roughly. Then add in duty, tax, brokerage fees. Is it even worth it??

Another shop has the same amp for $249 USD including shipping from US Postal Services. Which would be the better option?? or just buy it here??
Old 2007-03-30, 10:28 PM   #184
Kevin S

If you are at all worried about warranty issues, buy it here. Otherwise, I would go for the $250/USPS option. The $199/UPS option is sure to cost you more by the time it got to you.
Old 2007-03-31, 07:57 AM   #185
que3jxp
Veteran

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

You would pay $38 + tax +taxes. Most electronics (Almost all) are duty exempt or have very little duty charged. So your total would be no less than $199 x 1.15 = $228.85 + $38 = $266.85 x 1.14 = $304.21.

Because of the screwball way that Canada Post handles the import regs, it is likely that you will not get chared taxes or anything else. That other option would likely cost you no more than $286 CDN. If CP does bill you the taxes, then you are looking at an additional $40. Theoretically more than the UPS way.

I, for one, would be more concerned about the warranty issues...
Old 2007-03-31, 10:02 AM   #186
Altaman

Ordering out of the U.S. is really good as long as the item is not shipped via UPS as their brokerage fees are stupidly high. I always try to get shipped via the USPS as there is only a $5 fee charged by Canada Post.

Alt
Old 2007-03-31, 10:57 AM   #187
que3jxp
Veteran

Quote:
I always try to get shipped via the USPS as there is only a $5 fee charged by Canada Post.
Certainly not a huge increase but it is now $8 for most shipments. And as always, that is if they even charge you!!!

Man...

I have been thinking that if this class action business goes the wrong way (Lost on the grounds that it is actually legal), the loophole with Canada Post is gonna get killed as the preexisting suit against CP by the courriers in Canada will end up with a serious precident that would let them win.
Old 2007-04-01, 12:29 PM   #188
Kevin S

That UPS chart is completely inaccurate from my experience - I bought a car stereo faceplate for $5 on ebay. The seller did not ship by USPS as discussed, but rather UPS. I had to pay $30 in UPS brokerage fees (not duty/taxes) when it got to my door on top of the $6 shipping I had already paid. That is 600% of the original item cost!

According to that chart, I should not have had to pay anything.

I've had one other experience where I had to pay ~$30 in UPS/brokerage fees for an item worth about the same. This case is going back a few years though. The case above is only about a year or so back.

The sad part about that lawsuit is all it will do is screw the consumer. Instead of us having an affordable option, there is a good chance USPS/CP will just hike thier fees to match. I certainly hope not.
Old 2007-04-01, 07:24 PM   #189
que3jxp
Veteran

Kevin, I remember your story from before...

I should have clued in but you probably could have got a refund on the brokerage. Not to talk out of place, but there is a refunds department that stays nice and busy at the office...
Old 2007-04-01, 08:03 PM   #190
Kevin S

I got a refund the first time I dealt with UPS years ago as I called and complained since I was (honestly) not aware of these possible charges and shocked to be getting them a month later. The second time I just paid it as I couldn't be bothered arguing again - I never bother with UPS any more, this was just seller error in this case.
Old 2007-04-02, 07:17 AM   #191
que3jxp
Veteran

That is too bad you did not push it through.

One nasty trick that one friend of mine used to pull was to get the person recieving a package to call him when they got it and then he would track it 1 minute after the last possible time that the package was to be delivered. If it is not in the tracking system even if the package is in your hands, it is a GSR (Guaranteed service refund).

To this, the one thing that rots with ALL the carriers is that only the shipper of record can apply for the GSR.
Old 2007-05-01, 09:39 PM   #192
just_syl

There was a report tonight on "La Facture" (consumers show on Radio-Canada) about UPS and FedEx crazy brokerage fees.

Link: http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite...u2_15214.shtml
Old 2007-05-01, 09:44 PM   #193
Kevin S

Any way to get that story translated in English - I don't see anything that indicates this on the site.
Old 2007-05-02, 11:15 AM   #194
que3jxp
Veteran

Quote:
Any way to get that story translated in English - I don't see anything that indicates this on the site.
Babelfish is the place to go.

I'll save you the trouble though...

The article is nothing new and continues to ignore the FACT that Canada Post is not bound by the same laws that actually force the courriers to HAVE to incur sizeable expenses to apply and track the paperwork for imported goods.

Also, contrary to what people think, NAFTA does not simply mean that you drive to the USA and bring back ANYTHING you want free of duty. If the product you bought in the USA (Or Mexico) was MADE in that country, then fine NAFTA applies. Otherwise, it does not.
Old 2007-05-02, 12:33 PM   #195
just_syl

In the story, the reporter said that most of the "paperwork" was actually transmitted electronically by UPS/FedEx to the Canadian customs.

They showed a customer going himself to do the brokerage instead of letting UPS do it. That way he saved 50$. They are also implying that UPS and FedEx are actually charging these fees to make so more profits. UPS and FedEx were contacted but refused to comment.