Cogeco HD/PVR (6412/6416) problem / question / results thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2004-12-20, 01:31 PM   #1
Superchunk

Default Cogeco HD/PVR (6412/6416) problem / question / results thread

I'm having an issue that I just can't see the cause of. I'm getting no centre channel sound when watching TV via the 6412 box. It is connected to my amp via toslink optical cable. When I switch to Prologic using my amp the centre channel comes through fine and it sounds good, but as soon as I change the channel the amp auto's to the Dolby Digital based on teh source.

Any ideas what could cause this? I went into the box setup and found nothing - it seems pretty strange to me that it would be sending a dolby digital feed but the centre channel won't work.
Superchunk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2004-12-20, 02:24 PM   #2
tubby

Are you sure the program you are watching is 5.1? Many programs are presented in DD 2.0. Like you said unless you use prologic decoding you will not get any centre channel information.
tubby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2004-12-20, 04:08 PM   #3
Superchunk

Ahh, of course. I figured it would be something simple like that since I'm sick - I shouldn't try to figure anything out when I'm sick. Anyway, I gotta find a way to stop my amp from auto-switching from Prologic back to Dolby Digital, since I prefer having the centre channel going.

I'm more and more interested in just sending this 6412 box back. $30 a month for the box and the hdtv channels hardly seems worth it considering all I get out of that is the ability to pause and rewind TV. I did see one HD program on once. Nice. Not worth $30 a month though, since there is only maybe 1 show on a week in HD that I actually like (law and order). I think spending $80 on a VCR makes a fair bit more sense.

Last edited by Superchunk; 2004-12-20 at 04:12 PM.
Old 2004-12-21, 10:48 AM   #4
r2917

Um, why then did you rent the box in the first place?
Old 2004-12-21, 03:08 PM   #5
Superchunk

Um, I wanted to try it out. That is what I'm doing. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 2004-12-21, 10:40 PM   #6
tubby

Are you with Cogeco? The rental is based on a 12 month contract. You may have a hard time sending it back. I do agree though, probably not worth $30 for one show a week, or three if you meant the spinoffs too. You could always just get the basic HD package(CityTV and CTV) save $10, still get Law and Order and the DVR.

My old receiver was the same way, always defaulted to stereo when the channel was changed, I just ended up getting tired of hitting the extra buttons to change the audio mode and started watching everything in stereo. I am lazy that way.
tubby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2004-12-22, 10:11 AM   #7
Superchunk

I switched from the digital output so that now it defaults to prologic, much better.

When I ordered the box I asked if I would be held to a 12 month contract and she said they never enforced that and not to worry about it. I dunno, at this point I suspect I will keep the whole setup, it is hard to give up once you have it, even if overall it is a bit of a dissapointment. I get 2 free months of the HD channels so I'll hope I make use of it. The PVR is nice, I just hadn't realized how much more useful it would be with dual tuner action.
Old 2005-01-09, 10:45 AM   #8
Dlpnut

Default Motorola 720p to Samsung HLP5685 DLP

I have a 6412 and previously a 6208. My Samsung HLP5685 will not and would not display 720p from these boxes. 480i, 480p and 1080i are just fine. Anyone else have the same problem and know if it is just a Motorola firmware issue as I suspect it is?
Dlpnut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-01-09, 12:43 PM   #9
biglyle

I believe cogeco has had them set up to display only 1080i when doing HD. So its not a motorola issue but a cogeco software issue.
biglyle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-01-09, 01:18 PM   #10
james99

The native resolution of your tv is?
james99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-01-09, 01:57 PM   #11
Dlpnut

Default native resolution

native resolution is 720p.
Dlpnut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-01-09, 09:50 PM   #12
warpdryv

Default audio lag and skipping

my 6412 is noticeably worse than my 6208 was for audio lag and skipping (especially during action sequences). i like the extra hard drive space (a full screen of movies in HD only takes up 50% now), so i don't want to go back. any advice?
warpdryv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-01-11, 07:33 PM   #13
dr dave

Default 6412

I exchanged my purchased 6208 for a 6412 from Cogeco without problem . They were excellent and accomodating .I think they get a bum rap at times .
The old adage still applies "the grass is not always greener ".The 6412 PQ is not good , even HD is worse than the 6208 . The SD on the 6208 was not as good as my old DCT2000 but HD was stunning . The 6412 is just plain poor on all .The HD constantly drops out , with tiling ,and pixelation .The SNR and AGC both rate "good" so I don't think it is a weak signal .I read on another site that the 6412 does not handle high signal strength particularly well ,so I split off the signal feed , which dropped SNR and AGC into "fair"but I think PQ is worse ,certainly no better, although tiling and pixelation improved .I am going to reset tonight but I am not hopeful .If nothing improves ,I guess I'll call Tech support .
To Tubby , the volume still fluctuates ( on the same channels ) so I conclude that my AVReceiver is the culprit ,although it worked well with the DCT 2000.
Your experience would confirm this as well .I read (on another site as well ) that there is an incompatability (pass through and decoding of DD levels )between Motorola and some other manufacturers of AVRs.
I'd be interested in the experiences of others ,meanwhile I'll advise of any progress .
Old 2005-01-11, 10:25 PM   #14
Krustywalnut

I experienced the same problem in PQ going from the 6208 to 6412. So I exchanged for another 6412 and it seems to have solved the PQ problem. Maybe its a hit and miss for the quality of these things. Just my 2 cents.
Old 2005-01-12, 09:23 AM   #15
dr dave

Default 6412

You would think that it would be relatively easy to test these units before leaving the factory but it's probably not cost effective.The cost of testing every unit is probably more than the relative small number of returns .
Thanks for the tip .I'll try to exchange the unit .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.