Expressvu SD Channels on HDTV on 6100 Receiver - Quality Question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2004

Old 2004-11-27, 11:36 AM   #1
s2k

Default Expressvu SD Channels on HDTV on 6100 Receiver - Quality Question

Looking at possibly getting a new HDTV Sony KF42WE620 or KF50WE620 and an Expressvu 6120 receiver. Currently have a 36" Hitachi normal CRT direct view TV with 2700 receiver.

My question is, how good can you expect the quality of the SD channels on the HDTV/receiver as compared to those on a normal TV and receiver? Will the image quality be as good, better, or worse? I have heard possible all 3. Some say it is as good, some say it is much worse. The concern is that since most channels are SD are we giving up a lot of quality that we have now in the new setup?

Tried to compare in store but some places have the signal split so much it is degraded, others only have HDTV signals running.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2004-11-27, 06:44 PM   #2
Battscrew

I have a 35" Sony upstairs and a 47" Panny (RPTV) downstairs. Using a 3100 via Svideo the pic is pretty good. Using the 6100 on the Panny, I prefer to use the component or DVI (mostly DVI) for both HD and SD channel, I tried using the Svideo but found using the DVI gave me a better pic with the SD channels.
Old 2004-11-27, 06:50 PM   #3
s2k

Does image for normal SD channels on the HDTV image look as good as the one on your 35" SDTV?

From what I have looked at it seems some channels can produce a poor image on HDTV that is good on SDTV.
Old 2004-11-27, 08:57 PM   #4
johnnynuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k
Does image for normal SD channels on the HDTV image look as good as the one on your 35" SDTV?

From what I have looked at it seems some channels can produce a poor image on HDTV that is good on SDTV.
I had a 34" Sony XBR2 CRT standard TV up until about 4 months ago. SD pq was excellent. Then, I purchased a Samsung HLN567W DLP. The same SD sources definitely didn't provide as good pq. The larger screen means larger pixel space and sd source just can't tightly fill those spaces, thus not as detailed. Equipment that upconverts sd does make pq somewhat better.
imo, once anyone steps up to rear/front projection and especially large screen sizes, it is hd that really comes through and can provide that filled out, detailed excellent pq that one can relate to on a smaller crt direct view TV.

Straight up, most channels will produce a better pq image on a good quality 35" direct view vs. hdtv. Again, it's the screen size that does it. Ever use pip and see how detailed and precise a sd image is. It is awesome. Just like typical computer monitors. Small screen but astounding detailed pq.
Old 2004-11-28, 12:12 AM   #5
Battscrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k

The SD image quality is less on the 47"panny compared to the 35" Sony. However most of the shows i like to watch are HD and the SD are acceptable IMHO
Old 2004-11-29, 12:42 PM   #6
cowtown

I'm finding I'm watching less and less in SD, but that's talking about the content, probably 60%-75% of the shows I watch are in HD now so that's good.

All that being said SD looks fine on my Toshiba 50HDX82 RPTV. On Shaw, neither my wife nor I really enjoyed watching SD on it, but on BEV and the 6100 through DVI the picture quality is quite good, certainly better than Shaw's 6200 through DVI, Component or otherwise. So I'm seeing an improvement going to BEV and because of the 6100 being a more competent receiver.

Overall the image is softer on the Toshiba 50" RPTV for SD channels compared to my nice Toshiba 27" FST CRT but like I said, it's quite watchable now.

Last edited by cowtown; 2004-11-29 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2004-11-29, 05:10 PM   #7
fricfrac

I have a Sony KF-50WE610 and the Bell 6100 I'm using a DVI cable to connect the two and find that most of the SD stations look quite good.
Old 2004-11-29, 05:12 PM   #8
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown
I'm finding I'm watching less and less in SD, but that's talking about the content, probably 60%-75% of the shows I watch are in HD now so that's good.

All that being said SD looks fine on my Toshiba 50HDX82 RPTV. On Shaw, neither my wife nor I really enjoyed watching SD on it, but on BEV and the 6100 through DVI the picture quality is quite good, certainly better than Shaw's 6200 through DVI, Component or otherwise. So I'm seeing an improvement going to BEV and because of the 6100 being a more competent receiver.

Overall the image is softer on the Toshiba 50" RPTV for SD channels compared to my nice Toshiba 27" FST CRT but like I said, it's quite watchable now.
Hi
I agree. The HD picture quality on my 57HDX82 through component or
DVI is excellent like a DVD. I also watch less SD channels these days. The 6100 picture is dark on SD through s-video and better through component with 4x3 side borders.The older 6000 was better on SD.
Overall the 6100 is much better feature wise. This past weekend NBC and ABC had movies in HD which were crystal clear even on a 57" widescreen. HD sports are like being there, well almost depending which team your cheering for .......
HG
Old 2004-11-29, 07:21 PM   #9
onearmedmidget

Default same

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfrac
I have a Sony KF-50WE610 and the Bell 6100 I'm using a DVI cable to connect the two and find that most of the SD stations look quite good.

I've got the same set up and its very acceptable.
Old 2004-11-30, 12:31 PM   #10
cowtown

As I've commented on in the past, compared to my Shaw Digital, it's a night and day difference for SD quality, and HD quality is better to boot.
Old 2004-12-01, 01:44 AM   #11
Edmonton101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy
I also watch less SD channels these days. The 6100 picture is dark on SD through s-video and better through component with 4x3 side borders.HG

Can you watch SD with component cables or do you have to hook up S video or DVI?

I have a 6100 and can't seem to get anything in SD...... I think all my channels are set in HD normal.. and seem to be just fine....... only using component cables now....

I guess maybe I should pull out the manual.... but I am a man.... and hate reading these.....

Brian
Old 2004-12-01, 09:05 AM   #12
Battscrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton101
Can you watch SD with component cables or do you have to hook up S video or DVI?

I have a 6100 and can't seem to get anything in SD...... I think all my channels are set in HD normal.. and seem to be just fine....... only using component cables now....

I guess maybe I should pull out the manual.... but I am a man.... and hate reading these.....

Brian
You can watch SD on any of the outputs, I find the SD is better thru DVI.
Old 2004-12-01, 06:27 PM   #13
Rosewood

anybody getting blotches moving around usually in backgrounds. Peoples faces and any other object are always good , but for example ; say a person
is standing against a wall, the person is a crisp picture but the wall sometimes has blocks or blotches moving around. This is for both sd and hd through a dvi cable. Havent tried the componet yet , was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.
Old 2004-12-01, 09:00 PM   #14
Battscrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood
anybody getting blotches moving around usually in backgrounds. Peoples faces and any other object are always good , but for example ; say a person
is standing against a wall, the person is a crisp picture but the wall sometimes has blocks or blotches moving around. This is for both sd and hd through a dvi cable. Havent tried the componet yet , was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.
Have not had that problem.
Old 2006-03-20, 11:03 PM   #15
editor

I have the 42" Sony Grande Wega. Currently running a 5900 PVR. SD channels are a bit softer compared to a 36" sony tube naturally, however it really depends on the source. Some channels like CTV Newsnet are very clear and sharp in Sd on this unit. Other like NTV are softer. When you go LCD or Plasma on something bigger than 36" you have to expect some picture loss. I just got a 6100 HD from BEV and have yet to hook it up but expect that it will be crystal clear when i do.