Shaw Customer Service - good and bad - post comments here - Page 58 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2012-01-11, 06:31 PM   #856
magnet

Here's a hint... I you call and aren't given a callback option- the wait is NOT worthwhile.

Sign up for Shaw Friends and use their Concierge online Chat. Your wait will be less than 5 minutes in most cases.
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-11, 09:11 PM   #857
mungar

@Jetranger: I'm sorry to hear about the multiple poor experiences with our phone representatives. We recently introduced some new Internet packages, which are separate from the 'existing' High Speed Lite/High Speed/Extreme packages. These separate tiers of service may have generated some confusion. I have outlined the packaging below.

Existing Packages:

High Speed Lite: $39 Stand-Alone, $29 Bundled
High Speed: $52 Stand-Alone, $42 Bundled
Extreme: $62 Stand-Alone, $52 Bundled
Broadband 50: $74.90 Stand-Alone, $59 Bundled - Moved to New Packaging (below)

New Packages:

High Speed 10: $45.00 (stand-alone or bundled)
High Speed 20: $55.00 (stand-alone or bundled)
Broadband 50: $65.00 Stand-Alone, $59 Bundled

All of the 'existing' and new Internet packages are available. We continue to use the $59 bundled price for Broadband 50, as it is cheaper, but the stand-alone price has been lowered. The exact '$10.00 discount' for each additional service is not used for the new packages, as they are mainly designed to be bundled in SPP. However, they are available as stand-alone services, or with our legacy cable packaging, but the bundle discount amounts are different.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:23 PM   #858
stanl

Quote:
New Packages:

High Speed 10: $45.00 (stand-alone or bundled)
High Speed 20: $55.00 (stand-alone or bundled)
Broadband 50: $65.00 Stand-Alone, $59 Bundled
It's no wonder that confusion reigns supreme. They have managed to make their billing system more complicated than string theory.

When you go to the Shaw site and plug into the personalizer it says High Speed 10 is $34 bundled not $45, High Speed 20 is $49 not $55, broadband 50 is the same.

I hope that one of the perks Shaw CSR's get is unlimited Tylenol because their head has to hurt after a day of trying to make sense of this all.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:41 PM   #859
mungar

Sorry about the confusion. The prices I listed were to assist Jetranger, as it sounds like he is on 'legacy' packaging. Those prices listed are when adding to legacy accounts, and they will be different when arranged into Shaw Plan Personalizer bundles.
Old 2012-01-12, 01:27 AM   #860
tux

@stanl

Oh, that's just scratching the surface of their billing. Those are the prices for standalone internet, and internet bundled with another service (except SPP). If you take into account the Shaw Personalizer Plan (SPP), it becomes (in order of speed):

HSI Lite: $39 standalone, $29 bundled, $38.95 with SPP
HSI 7.5: $52 standalone, $42 bundled, $48.95 with SPP
HS10: $45 standalone, $45 bundled, $33.95 with SPP
HS20: $55 standalone, $55 bundled, $48.95 with SPP
Extreme: $62 standalone, $52 bundled, $58.95 with SPP
BB50: $65 standalone, $59 bundled, $58.95 with SPP

"Bundled" pricing here refers to internet with anything except the Shaw Personalizer Plan (SPP). The "with SPP" pricing applies if you have the Shaw Personalizer Plan.

And that's just the easy part. I could really make your head spin trying to figure out their billing if I brought up modem discounts, "Bump-Up" plans, grandfathered pricing, individual tier pricing, and pick-and-pay channel bundles. But that would be going too far off topic for this thread, so I won't digress any further.
Old 2012-01-12, 02:01 AM   #861
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Thanks for trying to clear it up, mungar, but I just don't get how it can be so complicated. The published info makes no sense, as tux shows. The worst example is this:
Quote:
HSI 7.5: $52 standalone, $42 bundled, $48.95 with SPP
HS10: $45 standalone, $45 bundled, $33.95 with SPP
HS10 has 'more for less', then 'more for more' and finally 'more for less' again. I guess I shouldn't blame the customer service folks for not understanding it either when it makes no sense at all.

I thought the math was simple but clearly normal addition and subtraction is not what Shaw is going with. The poor customer service folks must hate trying to answer questions about this. I figure this is why they all say the same thing. It sounds like a well rehearsed line that was formulated to sound just enough like they know what they are doing but you don't so you say 'OK' and then hang up, being left with a feeling like you just had a sucker pulled out of your mouth.

My real problem goes back to the first CSR who was first rude with me and then had the nerve to hang up. Unfortunately, there is no way I can find out who it was because I'm sure she would get some 'coaching' at the very least and, more to my liking, she would be fired for not presenting the corporate values.

Oh, and here's one more thing I find really offensive: when pressed on the issue of 'why is it $59 and not $55', they say 'but you will need a different modem to get BB50 so what if I offered you a free lifetime rental?' Do they honestly think I didn't read that a 'free modem rental' is included with that service? I mean, really, if that isn't false advertising or at the very least a blatant attempt to make you think you are getting a 'deal', I don't know what is.
Old 2012-01-12, 02:13 AM   #862
stanl

I think they are trying to make it confusing enough that we will just give up and sign up for the "ultimate plan."

The ultimate plan will be we hand them our wallets, they take out what they want, and hand us back what is left.
Old 2012-01-12, 02:33 AM   #863
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Ya, the empty wallet. The really sad thing is; I have a better understanding of sting theory than I do of how Shaw bills all my services each month.
Old 2012-01-12, 05:13 AM   #864
mungar

High-Speed (7.5) and Extreme are no longer going to be used in the Shaw Plan Personalizer and new 'Simple Bundles' going forward.

For new people signing up with SPP, High Speed 10 is replacing High Speed Lite, and High Speed 20 is replacing the old High-Speed (7.5). Extreme and Broadband 50 had been the same price on SPP, so Broadband 50 is just replacing Extreme. Existing SPP customers are free to change to any of these new Internet packages as well. We are just starting to transition to these new Internet packages, so there may be some communication issues, and we are sorry for all the confusion.

The new base prices in SPP bundles are now:
Personal TV + High Speed 10: $59.90
Personal TV + High Speed 20: $74.90
Personal TV + Broadband 50: $84.90
Old 2012-01-12, 05:25 PM   #865
roopster77

Location: Sry/Cloverdale, BC Epson 8350 & 110" Screen... Shaw Gateway & 5 Portals... PS-3 & Harmony One
Smile

I had my appointment for 2 additional portals today (AM).

The tech arrived at 10:30, and while his order did not show he had to run an additional cable, he ran the cable and hooked up the portals, set them up (including remotes).

The order confirmed he needed to remove a filter which I understood had been put on when I changed my TV Package the last time. When we went to the "Line Room" (Townhouse), it was quite funny because even though they had sent a tech when I made the change, there had been no filter installed. He came specifically to put on the filter... The tech seemed not to be surprised, telling me they didn't really need the filters as they (tiers 1,2 &3) would be irrelevant once the digital conversion is complete. The only filter he expected they would use would be the video filter for subscribers who only have phone and or internet with no TV.

Anyway, a pleasant install, all the updates were done before he left - and all is working just peachy!

I then went on the concierge chat to have them do the updates on the services I receive, which were not done earlier so as not to lose my install date, got through in less than 5 minutes, and for some reason my account was not accessible. I wanted to add Discovery World to my order... The agent said he would put it in as soon as he could access my account.

Will report back when the update is done to my programming package to confirm they put in the Personal TV, Best of HD and Oasis, HDNet and Discovery World HD...

So far so good...
Old 2012-01-13, 12:56 PM   #866
roopster77

Location: Sry/Cloverdale, BC Epson 8350 & 110" Screen... Shaw Gateway & 5 Portals... PS-3 & Harmony One

^^^ It appears they have not done the channel update (no Oasis) I have seen they have fiddled with my bill though...
Old 2012-01-15, 02:07 AM   #867
roopster77

^^^^ it took another day, but Oasis finally appeared... all is good now... fingers crossed
Old 2012-01-17, 04:55 PM   #868
Bugsy

Default Great CS

Took a chance (saw a snowflake outside) & phoned Shaw instead of driving to the local office to make some changes to my TV service today. Made the call at 1:06 pm, was answered at 1:11pm, changes made & call completed at 1:14pm. Pretty darn good service IMHO, Cheers.
Old 2012-01-18, 03:38 PM   #869
fastball59
Rookie

I've been watching the boards here for a while....this is my week with Shaw.
We've been considering Personalizing our Shaw packaging - getting upgraded internet and the phone option.
A well-meaning Shaw rep comes on here and tells me that they can give me a 6 month break on the 20-dollar Best of HD part of my TV. I'm ready to confirm, and ask him to check....now he says that I'm in Ontario, and that doesn't apply - the best he can do is a 3 month break on the 15-dollar phone. So I go from saving 120 dollars....to 45.
Then my PVR breaks on Sunday....I wait for 90 minutes for a call back, only to find the guy can't come til Wednesday. I whine a bit, and they said "maybe Tuesday". The guy comes Tuesday, and fiddles a bit, and then plugs in another PVR, which also doesn't work. He tells me my new Panasonic is kaffed...to which I say it works playing DVDs and my computer. Turns out the second PVR was ALSO kaffed. Now he's on his third choice...which works, praise Jebus. Great...he leaves. I come home from work, turn on the Tv, and find out we have 5 working channels...the rest are "unauthorized". I have to call again, and wait another hour before a rep comes on and flashes my PVR so I can have the correct package.
Whew...sorry for the rant. All in all, everything worked out...but what a rigamarole. ANd the best they can do is 45 bucks?
Old 2012-01-18, 05:30 PM   #870
JasonB

I strongly recommend signing up for Shaw Friends and using Concierge Chat from secure.shaw.ca for everything except maybe Internet problems

The last few times I've used it, I've been speaking to someone within a couple minutes, and once didn't even see the "please wait" screen.

Tags
bill, customer service