Google Nexus 7 Tablet $199 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-06-27, 01:58 PM   #1
Dr.Dave

Default Google Nexus 7 Tablet $199

Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
7-inch, 1280 x 800 HD IPS display
a quad-core Tegra 3 processor, 12-core GPU, 1GB RAM
1.2-megapixel front-facing camera
eight hours of active use on a 4325 mAh battery
198.5 x 120 x 10.45mm
340 grams
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n (no 3G / 4G option)
Bluetooth
Micro USB
NFC
Microphone
Accelerometer
GPS
Magnetometer
Gyroscope
Ships with Chrome as the standard browser

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7/features

$199 (CA$209.00) for 8GB with $25 credit for Play Store (limited time only)
$249 (CA$259.00) for 16GB.

Pre-orders: https://play.google.com/store/device...id=nexus_7_8gb shipping mid-July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-27, 02:38 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

I think Google will struggle to sell this as I really can't see what market Google is after.

I can't see it outselling the similarly priced Kindle Fire since I think people are more comfortable with Amazon's offerings and likely already Amazon customers and I can't see it competing with the iPad (with its much larger screen) because the 16GB version Nexus is only $140 cheaper than the iPad 2.
Old 2012-06-27, 04:05 PM   #3
BGY11
Veteran

If Google starts selling these in retail stores, I could see them selling a fair number of these; but if it's just sold online, then I'd agree with Hugh. Amazon is likely to drop the price of the Kindle Fire as well, so it may be a tough sell for Google.

Continuing with Hugh's point about the price compared to an iPad 2, there are even some 10" tablets that are now selling for $349 (10" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, for example). Paying $100 more for a 10" vs 7" tab isn't that bad, and it remains to be seen how well the Tegra 3 performs in the Nexus 7 compared to the Samsung. Yes the Samsung only runs ICS, but is the average tablet shopper going to know the difference between Android 4.0 and 4.1? Probably not.
Old 2012-06-27, 05:43 PM   #4
james99

Sweet. This is basically a Kindle Fire on steroids.

Glad to see Google paying attention to the mobile tablet market with this 7 incher.

Great price with impressive hardware. Win win.
Old 2012-06-27, 07:47 PM   #5
99semaj
Veteran

Arrow

I think it'll do a lot better than the Kindle Fire, which fizzled out of sight only a couple months after people realised it was just a phone OS stuffed into half tablet form factor.

They will have to find strong retail partners, though. People will want to test drive it to see if it can be as good as an iPad.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:05 PM   #6
Tikker

for 200 i would be tempted.

playbook is a nice size and same price
Old 2012-06-28, 08:44 AM   #7
rfielder
Veteran

I would be tempted, but a lack of microSD is a deal killer for me.

16Gb really isn't much when you start loading media files and lots of apps.
Old 2012-06-28, 09:14 AM   #8
jshel101
Veteran

I think this will be good for a media player for kids, or something to play the odd game on long car/plane rides. Google will probable sell a lot of these, especially for the price. I am guessing that the big box stores will probably sell these. If that is the case, then I think Amazon will have to worry.
Old 2012-06-28, 09:23 AM   #9
rfielder
Veteran

I have been reading books on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, and often wish for something a bit smaller.

A 7" tablet is very good for this - my far east elcheapo 7" tablet is easier to hold when reading, and is a good size to emulate a book. However, the screen on my 7" tablet is not very good (you get what you pay for!), so I don't use it all that often.

Something like the Google Nexus would be very tempting for reading books and viewing media, except that without a microSD slot, it just won't hold enough media to matter.

It is also a very nice size for a photo album, but again at 8Gb or 16Gb, you are just too restricted without the option of additional storage.
Old 2012-06-28, 09:58 AM   #10
Dr.Dave

Comparison of 7" tablets:

Nexus 7 By Asus, Kindle Fire By Amazon, Nook Tablet By Barnes & Noble and Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 By Samsung

http://www.theverge.com/products/com...506/3767/5147/
Old 2012-06-28, 11:08 AM   #11
Veee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I think Google will struggle to sell this as I really can't see what market Google is after.

I can't see it outselling the similarly priced Kindle Fire since I think people are more comfortable with Amazon's offerings and likely already Amazon customers and I can't see it competing with the iPad (with its much larger screen) because the 16GB version Nexus is only $140 cheaper than the iPad 2.
The Kindle Fire is only available in the US. The Nexus 7 will be available in more countries so its potential market is far greater. The Nexus also blows away the Fire in terms of capability and performance. Google is also increasing their content offerings and making it super easy to purchase.
Old 2012-06-28, 12:19 PM   #12
james99

I pre-ordered one this AM. It will replace my Kindle Fire. I no longer have to pretend to be an American.
Old 2012-06-28, 07:20 PM   #13
ScaryBob
Veteran

As Apple has already proven, sales will largely depend on apps and content. Will Google deliver enough to compete on more than price with Apple? Google has also promised Android updates for the Nexus, an issue with many Android devices. I would purchase a Google Nexus 7 Tablet over an iPad or Kindle. It remains to be seen how many others feel this way. A 10" model is needed as well.
Old 2012-06-29, 08:14 AM   #14
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
The Nexus also blows away the Fire in terms of capability and performance.
Amazon should have the newest Kindle Fire available for sale shortly. The question is will the Google device outperform the second generation Kindle Fire when both hit the street.

my two cents:

For this product to be successful, Google is going to need support it with $20 or $30 million dollar marketing campaign and get it into in every Walmart and Best Buy in North America this summer. My sense is that Google believes that if they build it, consumers will come and that won't work for a commodity type item.
Old 2012-06-29, 08:43 AM   #15
james99

The current Kindle Fire downside is mainly 2 things. It's a US only product and unless you Root it, you don't get a full Android experience.

I'm guessing the new Fire will also have these issues.

Overseas retailers have already been lined up so it's a matter of time before you see the same thing in N. America.

Pre sales seem to be very strong, if you believe Google.