Microsoft announces it's own tablet - Microsoft Surface - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-06-18, 10:24 PM   #16
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
I swear MS used the "Surface" name before.
Ya. That was their big table back in 2007. They got around to shrink it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-18, 10:32 PM   #17
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
That's Windows 8. Do you know 100% for certain that it includes Windows RT?
They stated that SmartGlass would work with all Windows 8 and Windows Phone and Windows RT devices as well as Android and iOS devices. They didn't go into that in this Surface presentation - probably because they did go into it recently at E3.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:40 PM   #18
MarcP
Veteran

SmartGlass is about sharing content (i.e. Airplay). Says nothing about the tablet accessing the Xbox marketplace (i.e. iTunes store).
Old 2012-06-18, 11:22 PM   #19
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
SmartGlass is about sharing content (i.e. Airplay). Says nothing about the tablet accessing the Xbox marketplace (i.e. iTunes store).
Only about sharing content - like Airplay you say?

You obviously didn't see the E3 keynote.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:29 PM   #20
MarcP
Veteran

I read the press release.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:49 PM   #21
audacity
Veteran

Well, I recommend you see the video because what it does extends well beyond airplay-like functionality. SmartGlass devices can be a controller for games or a "second screen" for games - similar to what the Wii U will do. Sure, a Windows tablet can do the same sort of "Airplay" stuff that iOS devices do between the SmartGlass device and a Xbox, but that isn't what the thrust of the demonstrations were about.

One example was watching Game of Thrones on HBO Go, and their tablet was showing a map of Westros and the tablet was zooming into where the current scene was taking place (so you get a sense of where the different armies are). In other words, you get interactive metadata about the show you are watching. Another example was a football game where you could design your custom play on the touch device like a coach does on a chalkboard.

That is quite a bit of integration between the Xbox and the SmartGlass devices (of which Windows tablets can be one).
Old 2012-06-18, 11:52 PM   #22
MarcP
Veteran

Still no integration with the marketplace. You need an Xbox which narrows down the audience. If you go back to the original post that you decided to pick on me about, that's what I was talking about.
Old 2012-06-19, 12:06 AM   #23
audacity
Veteran

They both (both Windows 8 and the Xbox) have access to the music and video marketplace that today is called the Zune Marketplace but in future will be called the Xbox marketplace. They showed that at E3 as well.
Old 2012-06-19, 12:27 AM   #24
Tikker

it looks spectacular

whether or not they pull it off may be a whole other ball of wax
Old 2012-06-19, 08:15 AM   #25
Veee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
No price and no availability date.

Why even bother announcing it then?
Here's one explanation

Quote:
When pressed on what he thought Microsoft could bring to the table that other hardware-makers couldn't, Ballmer demurred, but he did say part of the Surface's purpose was to "prime the pump" for the coming release of Windows 8. Perhaps he's hoping to light a fire under partners who are feeling pressure to jump to other platforms.
Old 2012-06-19, 08:28 AM   #26
hugh
Member #1

Vee, that is why I suggested that these devices could end up being vaporware, quickly discontinued or the design sold off to a friendly hardware manufacturer.

I think MS is going to get a LOT of blowback from HP, Acer, Asus etc who see MS competing with them with an unfair advantage (MS doesn't have to pay full rate for Windows on its tablets so MS could undercut them).
Old 2012-06-19, 08:36 AM   #27
rfielder
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
The lack of price, availability date and the fact that the may be "substantially modified" before its release makes these announced models smell like Vaporware to me.
It is beyond me why you would even express surprise about this! This is MS, after all.

Microsoft always sells the "best thing coming next". Every time they introduce a product - usually missing a LOT of what was promised by the time it hits the streets - they survive by saying "yeah, but wait to see what the next version brings!".

They sell futures and dreams. If anything, they would have been a perfect fit with the generation that enjoyed snake oil remedies......
Old 2012-06-19, 08:47 AM   #28
hugh
Member #1

Apparently these devices will sell in MS stores and online only which suggests this was a move by MS to push hardware vendors ala the original Google Nexus phone.
Old 2012-06-19, 10:42 AM   #29
rsambuca
Veteran

The big difference between MS and the Google's Nexus/Android line is that the other hardware vendors have to pay Microsoft for the OS. This places them at a huge disadvantage to Microsoft. How can they compete when they are going to be making essentially the same product, but at a higher cost?

I agree with the above that Lenovo, Dell, Asus, Acer, et al will be pretty ticked off over this. We may even see a few Ubuntu One tablets coming.
Old 2012-06-19, 03:52 PM   #30
Larry
Veteran

Yawn. That's all I can muster on this one.