Alternatives to Cable FM Radio (disappearing)? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > AM/ FM, Internet Radio and Music Industry

Old 2012-06-07, 11:25 AM   #1
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Question Alternatives to Cable FM Radio (disappearing)?

In light of Cable FM Radio service disappearing in some/most parts of Canada, this thread is to discuss alternatives for those who wish to continue receiving FM Radio signals.

Here is some background on Shaw's recent cancellation of Cable FM Radio service: Analog FM Radio on Shaw Cable and FM Radio Stations Now Gone

Other providers have likewise stopped their FM Radio services. Yes, generic music services like Galaxie continue to be offered with digital cable subscriptions, but the programming does not typically rebroadcast desirable local FM radio stations.

What is a consumer to do? I think the most obvious categories are:
  • Satellite Radio subscription (i.e. Sirius)
  • Internet Radio tuner (free and/or subscription)
  • OTA FM antenna
  • Other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-07, 11:33 AM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Although analogue FM is gone, (most of) those channels and more are available with a STB from the provider. That's what I have connected to my Stereo Receiver for audio only in my living room, but instead of listening to FM (which are in the channel 900 range on Rogers) I now listen to commercial free Galaxie stations, in the 700 channel range.

You can typically purchase a used STB for $50... So, I guess the answer depends on which provider you have and your interests.
Old 2012-06-07, 11:37 AM   #3
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Galaxie is generic music, while my intent is to discuss specific local FM Radio station reception that may have disappeared with these analogue cable cutoffs.

Music is only just part of the payload that local stations provide, so really this is about consumers losing what used to be a fundamental feature of Cable TV and thus having to change to a digital cable subscription to get the same thing.
Old 2012-06-07, 11:46 AM   #4

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Analogue cable will not be around much longer. All of the providers are switching most/all channels to digital and much like the analogue to digital transition for OTA, people will have to adapt with new equipment, either digital STB or the items mentioned in post 1. Here's a link to the transition thread for Rogers. There are links in post 1 to the transition threads for the other providers...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=146605
Old 2012-06-07, 12:23 PM   #5
j0dest3r
Veteran

I haven't used cable FM for years but was considering hooking it back up a few months ago until I found Nobex Radio for Playbook. Has all the locals AM and FM and a few surprises from small town Alberta as well. (Big Dog 103.5 from Lac La Biche) Being the Playbook has an HDMI out that I have used on a TV I would ASSUME my receiver would have no problem with it either. I have no idea if this awesome App is available on other platforms or if those other platforms have a similar easy hook up.

I hope this helps!

J
Old 2012-06-07, 12:42 PM   #6
envirogeek

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS

Apple TV, any generation.

It is easier for me to stream CBC FM signals from Edmonton from just outside the city than to use an antenna.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:52 PM   #7
Jase88

I can't speak for cable systems in other regions. But our local Rogers cable provides local AM and FM stations and Galaxie music channels in clear QAM. Any digital TV capable of tuning QAM can receive them.

Unfortunately they're not tagged in any way--you'll have to do some listening to determine which station you're tuned to.

Have you tried doing a scan?
Old 2012-06-07, 01:35 PM   #8
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Internet Radio STBs

Sangean and Grace offer dedicated Internet Radio set top boxes for home audio use in the $200+ range while Aluratek and others offer STBs in the $90 range. There are also many home media players and HTPC apps with similar Internet Radio functionality.

These STBs provide access to thousands of local radio stations from around the world that don't require any subscription, while many such products have the apps for receiving subscription-based Internet Radio services like Live365, etc.

Note: consumers need to always check first if Pandora, etc. etc. are available to Canadian subscribers.
Old 2012-06-07, 01:38 PM   #9

I see Jase88 beat me to the fact that the channels are currently still available unencrypted. Here's a link for Rogers. Not sure how long this will last as Galaxie on Rogers just went onto QAMs instead of streams, as discussed in recent posts in the Rogers Galaxie thread.

http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/rogers.htm

I see that there are about 34 AM/FM channels that are still "streamed"
Old 2012-06-07, 01:40 PM   #10
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Please no more about Galaxie

A reminder that this is about alternative ways of getting favourite FM Radio stations after a person's analogue Cable FM signals are gone.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:00 PM   #11
Dr.Dave

Just wanted to mention that this is specific to cable TV. The telcos still carry "local" radio on their IPTV set-top-boxes. In fact, MTS is adding more radio stations as they expand to more communities in Manitoba. I believe the satellite companies still carry radio as well, but I haven't verified that.

Switching providers may be an option if that's a big enough deal or if you were considering it for other reasons.

BTW Shaw Cable doesn't have radio in clear QAM (just Galaxie).
Old 2012-06-07, 02:21 PM   #12
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

I'll have to go visit one of my neighbours who quit Delta Cable (Eastlink) when the FM Radio band disappeared. He just had Telus OPTIK hooked up and I'm curious whether KPLU Tacoma and other SeaTac stations are available in their FM Radio package. Telus staff could not tell him for sure beforehand.

If he cannot get the prized KPLU he'll either get an Internet Radio STB or a roof top antenna. I'm presently getting KPLU on my WDTV boxes via tunein.com's interface after flashing them with WDLXTV software. I also have a tester FM antenna up on the roof and I'm enjoying much better audio quality than over KPLU's poor Internet feed.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:51 PM   #13
audacity
Veteran

Internet radio (IMHO) is the future of radio. I've felt for a long time that it will replace stuff like Sirius or radio-over-cable, etc.

The main reasons I think internet radio will win is:

- Integrates "live" content and "subscribed" content (i.e. podcasts) in the same interface.
- Low cost
- Widely available (usually not region limited and lots of devices support internet radio and podcasts now)
- Smartphones will drive the use of Internet Radio (and podcasts) in vehicles, and lots of vehicles support technology like Bluetooth AVRCP now so your Smartphone in your vehicle is very transparent (i.e. you can just use the controls on your deck or steering wheel).

In fact, I listen to my local CBC radio station every morning - but I'm not using a FM tuner, I listen using Sonos. I could just as easily be listening to the BBC or Chicago Public Radio (WBEZ).
Old 2012-06-07, 03:26 PM   #14
tandem

Stampeder, what type of FM antenna did you put up? What sort of feedline to your receiver?

I used to have our FM receiver attached to cable too and miss the interference free signals. CBC we've been grabbing from the internet ever since I disconnected the cable input; that gets piped through our two zone Onkyo receiver via a Squeezebox (gen 1). In the early days it was something of a hassle to modify Slimserver to stream CBC but it was possible; it's much easier now.

I'd rather pick up local stations OTA though, and reserve internet access for far away stations, so am thinking of putting up at least a half wave vertical dipole in the attic. We are atop one of the higher hills in Vancouver with clear views to the U.S. and north shore mountains, the Islands, and down the valley, so I don't imagine I'll need much more than some height. If I have to, I can chimney mount a mast and antenna.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:36 PM   #15
Constant Garden

When Shaw started mucking about with FM cable, I switched to Telus Optik and connected an HD box to the stereo. Telus carries many radio stations from Western Canada but none from the US. Quality is good. I use a ten-year-old Slimp3 (now Squeezebox) for mp3s and internet radio; with that and the Telus box, I'm quite content.

I will try an external antenna for local radio, when the rainy season ends, but since the North Shore mountains are blocked by a large hill, I'm probably limited to Victoria and US stations.