6XX Software Update - 07.33 - June 2012 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-06-08, 09:27 AM   #16
Krydor

I am underwhelmed with this update. Forced it yesterday and, outside of a feature I'll never use, no difference in anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-08, 09:33 AM   #17
johnnucleo

Agreed. I don't notice that the guide or pvr list is any faster as is supposed to be the case. VOD via the receiver is kinda cool I guess, but at the same time I'll never use it, cause there is no way, in today's day and age, that I'll be running a cable from my router to my receiver(s). Laptop, and PS3 both run wireless so no need to bust out the old cables.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:35 PM   #18
noah12
DHC Supporter

Krydor

How do you force the upgrade I forget
Old 2012-06-08, 01:03 PM   #19
Ouser

^^^ See post #1

You have to wait until your unit is targetted, and then hit 'download' now. It took about 25 mins on my 605 last night. Still waiting for the 630 to be aimed at...
Old 2012-06-08, 01:44 PM   #20
STR

i got the VOD option now after update, but can not get the 630 to see my network
Tested cable, works on Laptop and Blu-Ray, just not on the 630. Ideas? I would really love to get the VOD working
Old 2012-06-08, 02:21 PM   #21
Bayguy

"Recurring Auto-tunes - Manual Timer functionality now includes the ability to set a recurring (repeating) auto-tune timer."

Yay!!

We have some shows that we tape every week b'cuz were out that night and we were very surprised (and disapointed) when we got our 605 and found out we had to go into the guide over and over to choose a program. Even our old VCRs are smarter than that! This will be much better.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:38 PM   #22
SD 630 Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
i got the VOD option now after update, but can not get the 630 to see my network
Tested cable, works on Laptop and Blu-Ray, just not on the 630. Ideas? I would really love to get the VOD working
Hi STR,

Are you getting a particular error code or help code when you try to access VOD?

Also, press "D", go to "Network", and then scroll down to the 3 status fields. I'm guessing one or more is reading "Not Available". Reboot the receiver (with the cable connected), and then check back in. As soon as all 3 status's read "Online", you should be good to go.

Note that to access VOD, you also need:
  1. To have "VOD" access enabled on your account (it's on by default)
  2. To be registered for a Self Serve account on our website
  3. To be in non-overdue billing status.

Let me know if you're still having issues and we can check into your account!
Old 2012-06-08, 02:46 PM   #23
jbobh

Default Underwhelmed as well

First I would say that my 630 has been working pretty well. The only continuing problem has been reboots. For the most part I have only lost one or two recordings which I was able to get later. However they do occur once a week to once every 2 weeks.

The only difference I have noticed with this update is the VOD.

I connected the 630 using my D-Link Wireless N Pocket Router and Access Point. I have that plugged into my Pioneer reciever which allows me to control the receiver with an iOS or android device. I unplugged it from the Pioneer and plugged it into the 630 and the 630 was connected to my network with no problem. That's because it was already configured to work on my network.

However the one program I tried in SD the picture quality was pathetic. I tried a game of thrones episode which was constantly freezing in HD. I had enough speed so that shouldn't have been happening. I went back a little later and it worked fine. Picture quality was fine as well.

The content is pretty scarce and I doubt that I would use it much.

I certainly wouldn't rent a movie on it and the free stuff is pretty limited at this time.

Bob
Old 2012-06-08, 05:35 PM   #24
peano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
Pixelation??
Does this firmware fix it? Its probably the number one complaint among users.
Old 2012-06-08, 10:42 PM   #25
velix

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnucleo View Post
Agreed. I don't notice that the guide or pvr list is any faster as is supposed to be the case. VOD via the receiver is kinda cool I guess, but at the same time I'll never use it, cause there is no way, in today's day and age, that I'll be running a cable from my router to my receiver(s). Laptop, and PS3 both run wireless so no need to bust out the old cables.
With a router that works in bridge mode one could set up two routers to connect themselves by wireless and connect the Shaw receiver on the bridged router with a short cable. No need to run more cable throughout the house. A modern laptop with an HDMI connector can also do the job for VOD.

Whether or not the content on VOD will be worthwhile is another subject. For my taste as long as I can't watch Super Ecran in VOD, I don''t see the point in using this.

I'm hoping someday to be able to add external hard drives to increase capacity.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:22 AM   #26
STR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
Hi STR,

Are you getting a particular error code or help code when you try to access VOD?

Also, press "D", go to "Network", and then scroll down to the 3 status fields. I'm guessing one or more is reading "Not Available". Reboot the receiver (with the cable connected), and then check back in. As soon as all 3 status's read "Online", you should be good to go.

Note that to access VOD, you also need:
  1. To have "VOD" access enabled on your account (it's on by default)
  2. To be registered for a Self Serve account on our website
  3. To be in non-overdue billing status.

Let me know if you're still having issues and we can check into your account!
i can access VOD but everything says "Not Available". Account good, Self Care yes.
Old 2012-06-09, 05:15 PM   #27
Slugger

Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but might the addition of network services on the 605/630 mean we can do other things to these boxes via the network connection, more specifically change channels over the network? Currently I have two 605s connected to my HTPC and use an IR blaster to change channels. Though sufficient, if these boxes would accept channel change commands over the network then that would, presumably, be more reliable. I don't have any free ports on my switch to plug mine in, but will probably rearrange some things sooner or later and experiment, but was wondering if maybe someone else already knows/has figured it out?
Old 2012-06-09, 05:41 PM   #28
ScaryBob
Veteran

Thumbs down

VOD is nice to see and, hopefully, we will see some bug fixes.

Quote:
hopes that the update will include a way to deleate a group of recorded programs rather then having to do them individually.
That's my hope as well. It should be possible to select some or all programs on display and act on them as a group. I set a "record all" timer by mistake and ended up with almost 50 programs after the station had a couple of marathons. Now I must delete them one at a time?! Never mind that I have tendon injuries and arthritis in my thumbs that makes it very painful to do so. Plus such repetitious procedures further worsens the condition. I hate Shaw.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:50 PM   #29
ThePotato
Rookie

"Recurring Auto-tunes - Manual Timer functionality now includes the ability to set a recurring (repeating) auto-tune timer. Channel, duration, and frequency can all be adjusted to automatically tune to your favourite program. Access via MENU --> Reminders --> Auto-tune (HDDSR) or MENU --> PVR --> Manual Timer (HDPVR)."

Hi all,
I have an HDDSR and I'm looking to have an option (perhaps it's already available?) to pick a show (say, Family Guy) and then press a button to auto tune to / remind me of that particular show REGARDLESS of the channel that it might be on. I.E. I can select to watch Family Guy, and the receiver auto-schedules every episode on every channel that I'm subscribed to that carries FG. Right now, it's a pain to have to set timers on each and every channel that runs FG in order not to miss any episodes.

Can this be done? Will the above do it? (By the way I'm reading things, it won't help as it states that the channel can be selected). Will a future update do this? I really miss this ability from Rogers Cable in St. John's (one of the few things I do miss about that company / service). If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.
Old 2012-06-10, 02:43 PM   #30
rpokane

Default VOD First Impressions

In a word, it ain't Netflix.

The setup was easy enough... I brought down my entire network (unplugged right to the modem), and then plugged it all back in starting with the modem itself. The 630 was the last to be plugged back in. Everything registered fine. I'm Aliant DSL 7mb/640k with an Apple Airport Extreme router.

The software is extremely sluggish. It seems to try to load everything every time you make a change between the levels. Word of advice, when you press a button - wait. It might take 5 secs (or more) for your request to be completed.

Many of the offerings are either PPV or TMN/HBO. If you don't do PPV or TMN/HBO, you won't get much out of it.

It would be nice to block out these offerings so that I can see what I can get, or to group them by channel ie. Global, History, etc.

I guess its a start.