CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.3 - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-28, 10:58 AM   #211
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Sounds like the weekly 'reset' as it is Thursday after all. You got the message because you were watching TV, I'm guessing.
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-28, 11:33 AM   #212
GamerGuy

Weekly reset? That's, odd.

Why would they need that? And why not do that at 2AM.....oh yeah, it did, but it failed apparently. (So says the Gateway.)

Something else I think they need to work on. If a weekly reset is needed, there needs to be a more seamless method. I do not want to be interrupted mid show/movie!!! (Even to "restart later"!!)

P.S.

oops, forgot to say thank you. Thank you for the heads up. I have not read this was a weekly thing. (Or if I did I have forgotten.)
Old 2012-06-28, 07:09 PM   #213
GregoriusM

Gamer, did you try the "Restart Later" option?

I don't own the system (yet), but I wonder what would have happened if that was selected. Would there be an hourly reminder or something like that? Or would it have reverted to something like the 2 a.m. restart originally tried?

I do agree, though, that right in the middle of a movie, or maybe even worse, a pop-up right in front of the ball as its about to go into the net!!!! is not an elegant solution.
Old 2012-06-28, 08:52 PM   #214
Gord Lacey
Veteran

That's probably why they do it at 2am. Fewer people watching TV then.
Old 2012-06-28, 09:54 PM   #215
GamerGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post
Gamer, did you try the "Restart Later" option?
No, I rebooted just to get it over with.

I had already been interrupted after all so why not? [/playfully facetious *poke poke* in Shaw's general direction]

Now that you bring it up, I am curious as to what it would do to. Next time I guess.......we all know there will be a next time.....[/Yet another playfully facetious *poke poke* in Shaw's general direction]
Old 2012-07-02, 10:52 AM   #216
Kritiker

Default Lost My Scheduled Recordings List

I had some weird Gateway behaviour yesterday. I may not have all the details right but here's the gist of what seems to have happened.

I added some recordings to my Scheduled Recordings list, over-riding some warnings in the process. I didn't read them carefully but there seemed to be two different ones.

Because my disk utilization was now at 95%, I deleted some recordings (actual recorded programs, not scheduled recordings) and brought the utilization down to about 74%. I then went back to check something in my Scheduled Recordings list and it was gone. The list was empty. I had no programs scheduled to record. I deleted some more programs and got the utilization down to about 68% and suddenly I had a Scheduled Recordings list again, but it didn't seem complete. But I cannot be sure.

I went into the Cancelled/Not Recorded list and found that there were still several future scheduled recordings that were marked cancelled due to lack of space. Attempting to record one of these from that list using record once seemed to do nothing. The program remained on the cancelled list, due to lack of space.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:14 PM   #217
GamerGuy

Same issue I had. The Gateway does not like almost full HDDs.

I also had to change all my recording options to "Keep until space is needed" vs "Keep until I delete".

Ever since, I've kept my drive under 70% (mostly 50% actually but got lazy at times.) as suggested, and this issue seems to have went away.

Thankfully Seagate shipped my replacement 1.5TB drive and it should be here tomorrow, says Fedex online tracking. I can relax on the "over management" of having to keep the HDD as free as possible. I'm trying to clear as much as possible now so when I connect the 1.5TB it gets used over the internal. (I was told the HDD with the most free space is the primary but I still want the internal as free as possible.)

The "over managing" of recorded content would be much relieved if they got the "record new shows only" feature sorted out. I'm recording shows I watched years ago because this is still broken.
Old 2012-07-03, 10:33 AM   #218
GamerGuy

I am still getting the occasional black screen/empty time bar issue when transitioning from one recording to the next but at least it does not require a reboot. Simply hitting the "Live" button then re-selecting the recorded show kicks it back into action.
Old 2012-07-03, 11:13 AM   #219
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Kritiker, I think the Gateway takes some time, minutes even, to fully process changes that get made. For instance, when I delete a long Nascar race, the 'space used' indicator often won't change until several minutes later. It sounds like you're seeing a similar delay while the system 'processes' the changes you have made.

GamerGuy, I press 'stop', 'OK' to select 'keep' and then press 'PVR' and 'OK' to play again when I get the 'black screen'. That's four button presses; is your way shorter?
Old 2012-07-03, 11:55 AM   #220
GamerGuy

I just hit Live>PVR>Play, as it's already highlighting the show from the failed original attempt to play it. So yes, my way saves a step.
Old 2012-07-03, 02:14 PM   #221
Kritiker

That makes sense Jetranger. Thanks.
Old 2012-07-05, 02:02 PM   #222
amorak

Jetranger or anyone else - Any more news on 7.0.4? Specifically the activity of the RJ45 jacks? Only DNLA devices, or can we access a network device plugged into the gateway from the portals?
Old 2012-07-05, 03:56 PM   #223
Jetranger
Veteran

7.0.4 should be out in the next couple of weeks (I heard a date but it could still change so I won't post it) and the RJ45 jack will only be an alternate way to connect a Portal to the Gateway, nothing more. It has never been intended to allow network communication for any other devices and will not actually be a 'supported' method for connecting a Portal to the Gateway as Shaw doesn't want to become 'wired network technicians', I believe.
Old 2012-07-05, 04:29 PM   #224
probc

Another question is what is the hold-up with the Android & iPhone apps for remote management? Telus Optik has had the ability for over a year now and I sure miss that feature. Maybe instead of their name being Shaw Cable, it should be Slow Cable.

On a side note, anyone else noticing issues with HGTV on HD? Periodically the PQ is so bad/pixelated that it's unbearable.
Old 2012-07-05, 05:54 PM   #225
GWNorth

I'm thinking that one of the reasons for the hold-up on the new features like smartphone apps is their struggle with bugs and slow functionality of some existing features. I realize not everyone is encountering the outstanding issues but many still are. Another reason, as has been stated earlier in the thread, is their struggle to integrate the separate networks Shaw uses which seems to be a requirement for some of these new features.

On the PQ side, I've noticed an increase in frequency of the intermitent video problems with dropouts/pixelization on a number of channels lately but not specifically HGTV (History is one that comes to mind). I agree that when this does happen, it can often be bad for a good chunk of a recorded show making it basically unwatchable.

Last edited by GWNorth; 2012-07-05 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread