CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.3 - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-20, 11:53 AM   #181
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I have been told the test group are getting DLNA enabled during their evaluation of 7.0.4 so hopefully this means we will be getting it when it is finally released to us.

I'm with you guys. My TV can pull content from my home network already but it would be nice to have all of it accessible through the one device rather than having to grab other remote controls. I have been putting off programming my Harmony as I had expected we would have seen DLNA activated much sooner than this.

Edit: I'm not certain but wifi might be part of the DLNA 'add on'. Keep your fingers crossed.
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-20, 12:22 PM   #182
tandem

Thanks for the 7.04 tease Jetranger, the guide improvements sound spot on.
Old 2012-06-20, 12:50 PM   #183
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Hopefully that wasn't a 'tease' as those things are supposed to be part of 7.0.4 for sure. There are a couple of other 'cool' things that might not be included when it is rolled out to the public so I haven't mentioned them just in case they don't work out and get pulled from the public release.

Now that's a tease.
Old 2012-06-20, 05:19 PM   #184
Minshull
Rookie

So if I understand you correctly Jetranger, your friend in Edmonton is part of the test group?
And the upgrade is not a public release yet, in Edmonton or anyplace else. Is that correct?
Old 2012-06-20, 05:49 PM   #185
Jetranger
Veteran

I should have said 'my friend's "friend"' but yes, it is only out in the Shaw employee test group and is not 'public' anywhere yet, at least not to the best of my knowledge. I understand most executives at Shaw also get the latest and greatest code too but I guess that kind of goes without saying.
Old 2012-06-20, 08:48 PM   #186
dano300
Rookie

Default Weigh in on system

Hi all...

We've had our Gateway system since November (we're just outside of Winnipeg), and have had relatively few problems during that time. Mostly just annoying and performance ones, but nothing serious (like lost shows, partial recordings, etc.) And since the latest update (June 6th I believe), have had 0 problems. Zero!

I feel confident in saying this because my wife watches A LOT OF TV, and believe me, I hear about every/any problem she's having. This has been a great month. Happy wife, happy life!

We have two portals, no expanders. About 50 series recordings. No experience with PPV though, so can't comment on those issues. VOD has been fine the whole time for us too.

I've never rebooted the Gateway (truth!), and had to reboot one of the portals about 4 months ago (by unplugging). I can't remember the symptoms exactly, but we couldn't get it to do anything at all (don't think there was even a time display on the front of the box).

There've been a lot of good suggestions for additional features to be added, and it (sort of) sounds like Shaw is hearing them, and working towards them.

All in all, not sorry about getting into the Gateway game.

Just wanted to give all of you a little hope!

Thnx...Dan
Old 2012-06-20, 10:46 PM   #187
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

@dano300 that's great to hear! I can tell you my wife likes to fill up the hard drive with all those series recording and we have had similar experience. No major hiccups but some minor ones, yes.

@Jetranger you should of mentioned you was coming up to Edmonton
Old 2012-06-20, 11:34 PM   #188
Jetranger
Veteran

Shaw Champ, it never crossed my mind to contact you, sorry. It was just a quick day trip and the 'preview' was unplanned. Next time I'm headed up that way I will certainly contact you ahead of time if I can.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:31 PM   #189
Gord Lacey
Veteran

Yeah, Jetranger you should have told us you were coming :P

"If I knew you were coming I'd a baked a cake, baked a cake..."
Old 2012-06-21, 08:36 PM   #190
Lorenzo1000

Getting constant sound dropouts on AMC hd channel tonight. Anybody else?
Old 2012-06-21, 08:48 PM   #191
Jetranger
Veteran

Gee, do I need to make a special trip? Maybe the next time there is a big code release to check out.

Lorenzo1000, it seems to be a problem here too. I just switched to it and there were two drops in 5 seconds on a commercial.
Old 2012-06-23, 08:37 PM   #192
dano300
Rookie

Arggghhh...Kiss of death!

A few days ago, I "bragged" that we have not had any serious problems with our Gateway ever since we got it (back in November). I made a specific mention that I had not rebooted my Gateway box - ever!

Well, guess what? I can't say that anymore. The other night both of our TVs (portals) showed black screens, for any live TV channel, and for recorded shows it showed a black screen with an empty progress bar at the bottom of the screen. Trying other recorded shows and channels didn't solve anything. My wife (who was in her TV room) shouted that she was having problems. Her symptoms looked identical to the one on the TV I was watching at the time. I went to another TV which is just connected to cable (with a Motorola PVR). That TV was playing everything normally.

I went into the Diagnostics screen, and my Portal showed a LAN status of "Failed to connect to DNS" That was the only thing in red, and the only thing that looked "unusual" (but I'm not an expert in this screen - don't go there very often). So, I tried "Reconnect to LAN". After a minute or so, it was still in a "failed" state. Then tried rebooting the portal. No change. Then tried the "reconnect to LAN" on the other portal. No change. Then tried rebooting that portal. No change.

SO, I looked at the Gateway status, and in the "Private WAN Status" area it said "Failed to connect to Router". I tried reconnecting, but that didn't change anything. So, then I tried rebooting the Gateway. I even went and watched the lights on the Gateway box (something I had never done before). After it rebooted, it still seemed like the problem was there. But...

I went to one of the TVs, and changed the channel. Poof! I got a picture. Tried a recorded program, and it was okay too. Went to the other TV, and it was working fine.

So, if I had to guess, rebooting the Gateway box is what it fixed it.

All of this probably took me about 15-20 minutes. So, I don't know if things would have fixed themselves, if I would have just left everything alone (but I'm having my suspicions that it wouldn't have).

So, it looks like I had some sort of Gateway problem - my first "serious one", that I know of. There goes my perfect record!!

By the way, I just now looked at the diagnostic screens, and the Gateway screen has that same "Failed to connect to Router" message?? But my TV and Gateway functions all appear to be working normally??? Maybe this isn't important? Maybe it's always like this? Confused.

I tried to be very descriptive in this message in the hope that it spurs some sort of explanation, or problem resolution. Sorry for the length of the note.

Thnx...Dan
Old 2012-06-23, 10:42 PM   #193
Jetranger
Veteran

I've only had that happen once and it was on the previous code. I think it's just one of those things, like the BSOD in Windows. It sounds like you were due for a 'reboot' so with any luck you won't have it happen again before the next code update and it might be fixed with that update, you never know!
Old 2012-06-24, 09:58 AM   #194
GamerGuy

Welcome to the club Dan, unfortunate as it is.

Lets hope Jetranger is correct, and they figured this out and the next update will solve it.

Though I have had few issues (A page or two back) since doing some fiddling with "Default recording options" and clearing some space on the internal HDD. No partial records!!!!

I did have one Gateway reboot since my last posting but I'm much happier now than then.
Old 2012-06-24, 11:51 AM   #195
bls
Rookie

Regarding the blank live TV screen and recorded shows showing a black screen with an empty progress bar at the bottom issues that showed up after the last update, my wife discovered the portal doesn't need to be rebooted and that you dimply need to select live TV or go to the guide and select a channel and get live TV once again showing on the screen to resolve both issues. But it appears that once you start playing a recorded show that the live TV screen is often once again blanked and you often have to repeat this after watch a recording. No longer being able to see what's currently on live TV in the PIP portion of the screen when using the guide or scanning recorded shows after watching a recording without first having to repeatedly go through this procedure is extremely annoying and the #1 issue we now have, now that the previous major issue of the long delay associated with the skip forward/back feature has finally been resolved which I was extremely happy to see, but it would have been even nicer to not see a new problem take its place.

dano300 - I have a DNS IP address listed rather than a Portal LAN status "Failed to connect to DNS" message, but, on the Installation Dashboard Media Gateway screen for "Private WAN Status" have the same "Failed to connect to Router" message as I believe Private WAN refers to what everyone is still waiting for where we can stream content from a local PC so there's no IP address available which explains the message. Anyway, things often appear to take a while to update and I'm guessing this was the case with your Portal LAN status message and that your portal eventually got an IP address.

And, like you, we have two portals, no expanders and lots (84) of series recordings scheduled. I'm also not sorry for getting a Gateway system and can't wait until it can also be used to watch content I've recorded on my PC rather than having to use another remote and the x-box currently used for this. For those still trying to decide if the Gateway system is the way to go - besides the fact that it has 6 tuners and resolves the problem of having to constantly juggle which 2 shows get recorded on which 2 channels each night, it's certainly a whole lot better than the Pace and other equipment we previously had.

Closed Thread