CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.3 - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-18, 08:27 PM   #166
tornado6975
Rookie

Default Channel Buffers

An Observation - If I go way back in a buffer, say two hours or so, and start watching a show from that point in the buffer, I will miss parts of the show. It seems the gateway reclaims buffer space in chunks (about 15 minutes I think). If you happen to be watching from the first of the buffer chunks and the gateway reclaims it, you will be positioned further ahead in the program by 0-15 minutes. If you want to make sure this does not happen while watching a show, then hit record and watch from the resulting recording.

I also make a point of watching shows that I have recorded from the buffer, first, so that important internal hard drive space is freed up. The buffer functions seem to get a bit strange if the internal drive fills up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-19, 10:48 AM   #167
GamerGuy

Well, was just stuck staring at a black-screen with a blank time bar.

No live TV, no playback of any recorded shows. All lead to a black-screen and a blank time bar.

I just finished watching a recording, and within 5-7 seconds of the keep/delete dialogue popping up I deleted the show. I went straight to the next show in line, and, well, you know.

When I hit stop, it wants me to keep/delete as if I watched the whole thing.

Only recourse was to manually reboot through the installer tool.

I have not reconnected the 3rd party external HDD so this is not a factor.

Oh yeah, and the guide is being really picky at times. From hiding a single line, to the whole darn thing. I waited for some time last night for it to come up. It didn't. So I closed out, and reopened the guide. One channel appeared, the rest just blue lines. So I once again close out then reopen. This time the guide appears almost immediately. What I would expect it to do all the time.

It then decided to play the hide and seek game with channels a couple more times through the evening. Again, anything from 1 channel showing/missing to all missing.

It also continues to "blink out" if you are are in there for long periods. I didn't put a stop watch to it but I'd say about every 60 seconds it refreshes.
Old 2012-06-19, 01:49 PM   #168
slow1234
Rookie

I am experiencing the flaky grid guide view too - channel listings become solid blue, either en masse, two or three at a time, or only certain time slots. The guide and channel selection can be slow to respond too. These are really my only significant complaints about the Gateway system.
Old 2012-06-19, 02:18 PM   #169
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I have had similar things happen and I think these are addressed in the next code which should be out in a few weeks if we are lucky and they keep coming at regular intervals.
Old 2012-06-19, 03:16 PM   #170
GWNorth

Yup, many of us are getting those issues. I wonder how less technically inclined Gateway users manage. For this blank recordings and live TV issue, my wife just finds me to fix it (reboot time). If I'm not home, she can't watch TV anymore. Do they all call in, wait forever, and get a remote reset? Can't be good for customer satisfaction.

I'm not really in a big hurry for the next release anymore. What else is going to get broken? I think our Gateway experience was better a couple of releases ago than it is now.
Old 2012-06-19, 03:29 PM   #171
sailorickm

Location: Calgary, AB ShawGateway & 3 Portals, Shaw 1TB Expander, Sony 3D KDL-46HX729, HTSF470, 2 BDPS580

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWNorth View Post
I'm not really in a big hurry for the next release anymore. What else is going to get broken?
I (and others) have had nothing but improvements with each gateway update. No new bugs for me.

Does anybody know if Shaw has any idea why the reliability varies so much for different people?
Old 2012-06-19, 05:08 PM   #172
Udowish

Location: Calgary: Samsung UND556300 LED Tv, DCT 3400, Gateway + 2 portals,shaw PVR expander; Toshiba 42ZV655

I have had little issues with the updates other than some guide problems. It seems more stable and responsive than it was before. Still have some improvements to go however but so far so good.
Old 2012-06-19, 11:18 PM   #173
GamerGuy

The Portal decided to go down this evening. I was once again watching a recording and when I hit stop at the end, my screen went black. This time however I could not get to the menu let alone anything else. I went to unplug the Gateway when I looked and noticed all the lights were on including the record light. So I went back to my room and unplugged the Portal instead and sure enough I got everything back once it finished power cycling.
Old 2012-06-20, 12:38 AM   #174
tandem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorickm View Post
Does anybody know if Shaw has any idea why the reliability varies so much for different people?
As a recent adopter of the Gateway and two Portals probably our short three or four week experience doesn't count for much, but we've had no serious problems at all. Since the 7.03 update I can't recall any problems to note.

I wish the program guide (grid) was more responsive. I can read much faster than the system allows me to scroll page by page, and the reduction from six to five lines per page has accordingly reduced throughput.

We've been recording more content lately - sometimes two or three tuners going - so far no issues whatsoever.

Thinking of other appreciated positives, one thing I really like about the Gateway (maybe was available on the other PVR system?) is the ability to lock channels out and have their contents not show up in the EPG. I don't want my children to be able to see even a listing and title such as "Debby's Anal Adventures" when they are hunting for something to watch. The Gateway makes this possible, even easy, to hide. Big +1 from me.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:26 AM   #175
Kritiker

Possible, yes, thankfully. Easy, no.

Easy would be being able to hide a channel while tuned to it instead of just via the Setup menu. That way I could hide a channel I don't get while I see the "to subscribe to this channel ..." message instead of first having to create list of the channels I want to hide and then going into Setup to hide them. I was able to do this even on some of my old now-long-gone CRT TVs. I haven't gotten around to making this list yet. Even being able to see the channels while in the Setup menu would be helpful.

Easy would be doing it once for all the Portals instead of having to do it separately for each. I hid a number of channels on one of my Portals but they still showed on the others. I don't recall seeing other reports about this. But maybe I wasn't paying attention to this topic at the time.

Easy would be having a hidden channel appear when tuning to it manually, i.e., by channel number, instead of having to un-hide it first via the Setup menu.. Another feature of my now-long-gone CRT TVs. [This is the easiest to live without.]

Easy would be having one master Setup setting permitting display/tuning/recording/guide listing etc. only of subscribed channels. [This is high on many of our wish-lists.]

On a related note, easy would be being unable to schedule a recording on an unsubscribed channel instead of having it fail due to no signal. [At least the Gateway doesn't record dead air.]
Old 2012-06-20, 01:43 AM   #176
tandem

While the capability could be improved, and "easy" is relative for everyone, I certainly found it easy enough to lock out the channels I wanted to block from my kids. A toggle "Global or This Portal Only" would be a nice to have for this feature too.

I'd also like to automatically include all channels not subscribed to.

If there is a priority system for improvements my vote goes for improving things that get used most often. Scrolling though the program guide is higher on my list than features used only once or once in a while.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:30 AM   #177
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One
Default 7.0.4 Code Release Preview

I got a chance to see the 7.0.4 code in action over the weekend while I was up in Edmonton. There have been some major improvements to the menu and grid guide in that it comes up almost instantly when you push 'guide' or 'menu' and you can rapidly scroll through the grid and it will populate the instant you stop scrolling. The program info does blank out while you are holding the paging buttons down but it appears the instant you stop on the channel or group of channels you are looking for. It's not a perfect solution but it is a major improvement over how it works right now. The 'refreshing' that causes the intermittent blanking of the grid while you are on a page also seems to be gone.

There are some other notable changes like the VOD icon has been changed to a 'Play' symbol, the 'triangle'. Kind of odd if you ask me. They have fixed the bug I found where you couldn't do frame by frame advance after pausing slo-mo but they still need to make reverse frame by frame work.

Here's one big change; you can record PPV content with 7.0.4, at least that's what it looks like as the option is there when you go to order PPV content. I was just shown the option as my friend didn't want to order but when I asked another contact at Shaw about this, they confirmed it is possible.

The last thing I can think of is the bug where the text from a music channel stays on the screen when you tune back to a regular TV channel is fixed also. Now all we have to do is wait until the rest of us get this next code.
Old 2012-06-20, 10:12 AM   #178
pjpete

Thanks for the update Jetranger
Old 2012-06-20, 10:16 AM   #179
Cio-Pao
Rookie

Location: Calgary, AB | Samsung TV's | Gateway with 6 portals

Quote:
I got a chance to see the 7.0.4 code in action over the weekend while I was up in Edmonton.
Could you tell us Jet if DLNA is already active on 7.0.4?
Old 2012-06-20, 11:49 AM   #180
cafebrad

+1 on dlna and can we please get some of the other advertised functionality already. cough) wifi (cough)
Closed Thread