CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-05, 11:49 AM   #1
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One
Default CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.3

This will be the place to discuss all things generally Gateway once everyone is updated to this new code. I received it last night and will now have to play with it to see what we got.

=====

OTHER USEFUL THREADS

Fixes & issues
If you're having a problem with the Shaw Gateway, please see if it has already been reported before posting. (This is a running list. Not a discussion thread.)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show....php?p=1324303

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

Installation and setup
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145834

Programming universal Harmony remote for use with Gateway
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show....php?p=1331570

Last edited by downbeat; 2012-06-07 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Made thread sticky; added helpful links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-05, 03:26 PM   #2
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

First observations of this new code: Still have an issue with not playing recordings the first time you try and the new grid guide only removes 44% of the info that used to be there (how can that be better?).

Kind of sad that the first things I notice are 'negatives' rather than 'fixes'. So far I haven't found anything good but I have only been playing with it for a short time. I really want to be positive, honest.
Old 2012-06-05, 03:42 PM   #3
sailorickm

Location: Calgary, AB ShawGateway & 3 Portals, Shaw 1TB Expander, Sony 3D KDL-46HX729, HTSF470, 2 BDPS580

I had a quick try and notice that the grid/guide seems faster. Maybe that's only because they reduced the number of rows on the screen!
Old 2012-06-05, 07:31 PM   #4
dimensionzero
Rookie

That's funny because I noticed that it took longer for the guide to appear for me.

I'll hit guide, the screen shows up, but it takes another second or so before the grid fills in. I'm waiting to see what happens after the Shaw tech comes out to check my levels and such tomorrow to see if it continues to be a problem.

Apart from that, I haven't had a chance to really use the gateway so I can't say much else at this point.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:35 PM   #5
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

I actually forgot to check my version this morning, I have been running on new code all day and the system appears to be stable and reactive to inputs. Not much to report on any visual change, all seems the same (no added features), I do not use the updated guide so not much there for me. I did try it and yes it took a few seconds before the guide loaded just a blue screen for 3-4 seconds.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:10 PM   #6
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

Best way to tell if you have the update is that the Grid Guide changed to display 5 channels at a time from 6 channels. This was due to lots of feedback in part, that the fonts were small. By removing an extra line, the icons and font was increased in size allowing for better reading so much easier on the eyes.

Personally, I found it best when checking the grid guide out after an update to cycle through all the channels eg. keeping finger pressed up, until you come back to the original channel. From there on out the browsing seemed speedier to me. Same with a list in a VOD menu.

Remember the update is done in batches this week, so area by area. Previous to this week there was also a firmware update to the modem inside that was not impacting that happened behind the scenes towards end of last week
Old 2012-06-05, 11:39 PM   #7
pjpete

I am one that likes the larger font - might have something to do with getting older...
Old 2012-06-05, 11:50 PM   #8
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

I am in agreement, the larger font is nice, now if they could do something this the damn blue display on the portals!!!
Old 2012-06-06, 12:38 AM   #9
Jetranger
Veteran

The Portal display colour change will only come with a hardware change. I'm hoping there will be a trade in option when they finally do come out with a second gen Portal.

One improvement seems to be the time is now within a few seconds of my 3400. Just the other day it was almost 30 seconds late. This may not sound like much to those who don't record a lot but it makes a big difference when you miss the opening lines of a 30min sitcom.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:45 AM   #10
GamerGuy

I was fine with the 6 lines myself. I'm 41, and need glasses but I prefer more info per page rather than less with a larger font.

Oh well, if the masses spoke and that's what they wanted who am I to complain? (Here's were options come in to play.....*shrug*)

Other than that, I can't say as I see any other noticeable change. Nothing feels any snappier on my end.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:01 AM   #11
Jetranger
Veteran

I much prefer more info, not less. All they needed to do was increase size of the Logos. They should offer the sizes as an option, selectable in the setup menu. Those with smaller sets could use the larger size and those with larger sets could benefit from having more info. This 'new' grid looks more like the old grid guide from the Motorolas.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:44 AM   #12
GamerGuy

Indeed. Part of my excitement when I got my gateway, was a 16:9, 1080 guide......thinking I'd have more info than my Pace box......now look at it
Old 2012-06-06, 09:56 AM   #13
ryanmess99

I have the new update, but I don't see any improvements. Except for the guide being 5 rows instead of 6. When I hit the guide it comes up slow. Then when I am going through channels the guide will disappear and then come back. That has been going on since I got it. And the other thing that bothers me is when you switch to a channel using the guide it takes a while for the guide to disappear as well.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:12 AM   #14
GamerGuy

Lets not forget the guide "blink out" issue that is still there.

Meaning when you pull the guide up, and after a short search, you start to view the listings it shows, for about a second, then it goes to a blue screen removing all the listings, and just the listings. Everything else is there, just not the shows/channels. After a second or 2 it comes back. Very annoying. (It can be hit or miss but it happens enough to annoy.)

Over all, I'd have to say I'm rather disappointed. I had higher hopes to see some big improvements. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:16 AM   #15
Udowish

Location: Calgary: Samsung UND556300 LED Tv, DCT 3400, Gateway + 2 portals,shaw PVR expander; Toshiba 42ZV655

the update appears to be ok with me so far. No unusual behavior from my gateway but I only turned the boob tube on for an hour last night.

I still want a page up/down for the guide, now with only 5 rows, it's painful to scroll through the channel list.
Closed Thread