Windows 8 upgrade offers - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Windows Computing

Old 2012-07-07, 10:51 PM   #31
mellaby

Smile

No the orange terminal was better!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-07-09, 11:06 AM   #32
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
Some claims I remember were:
- The command line is more powerful than a GUI
- Client/Server is better than the Web
- The keyboard is better than the mouse
- Text mode is better (faster?) than a graphical app
And all these statements are true for certain tasks. Have you ever tried to configure a PC that has no keyboard or software equivalent? I have no issue with Metro, per se. What I do have an issue with is the unconditional removal of the Start Menu for tasks and environments where it is more productive that Metro. Modern PCs and operating systems are powerful enough to offer people choices. MS is arbitrarily removing choices and forcing people to follow their dogma. Resistance may be futile but such decisions by a company like MS should be resisted in earnest. Besides, Metro is just goofy on a 27" monitor.
Old 2012-07-09, 11:35 AM   #33
Francois Caron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellaby View Post
No the orange terminal was better!!!!!!!!!!
I still have software out there that uses green, orange or full colour VT terminals over RS-232 as the main user input/output device!

I dare anyone here to say they still use punch cards! LOL!

Listened to This Week In Tech last night. Even the guests are very resistant to upgrade to Windows 8. They did point out however that in two years, Microsoft plans to discontinue support for Windows XP. So we might not have much of a choice but to upgrade our XP, or if that isn't possible, replace our computers.

It's not like we didn't see this coming. Windows XP was originally released in 2001. Having a desktop operating system continually supported for 13 years is pretty phenomenal. But there comes a time when you have to move on. Unfortunately, this might also mean we'll see a huge amount of e-waste materialize in a couple of years.
Old 2012-07-09, 11:45 AM   #34
Dr.Dave

People are getting WAAAY off-topic. This thread should be used to discuss Windows 8 upgrade offers and the actual upgrade process.
Old 2012-07-09, 12:45 PM   #35
Francois Caron
Veteran

To be honest, we're still pretty much on topic -- except maybe the part about command line inputs, VT terminals and punch cards. I'll give you that much.

But with any other upgrade offer, this one has to be measured against the ROI -- Return on Investment, or as I like to call it, the ROE -- Return on Expense since that's how it shows up in the company books unless you're the one who's actually selling the software.

And with the expense of purchasing the OS upgrade, you HAVE to factor in the expense of installing and maintaining it. That's why so many companies barely upgraded past Windows 2000. The bean counters simply don't see any reason to upgrade to a new operating system and potentially new computers when everything has already been fully tested and debugged on the current platform for years. Why spend money to fix something that isn't broke?

And then there's the cost of training the staff to use the new OS. Most people aren't computer experts. You simply can't dump something new on their desk and ask them to use it right away unless they're highly geeky IT professionals.

Then there's the big one: software that breaks under the new OS. And I've encountered that firsthand many times. I've had more than a few Windows APIs suddenly "change their behaviour" in my own software under Windows 7. But because I had access to the source code, I could fix it very quickly for my clients. But not everyone has that kind of access to an IT professional, especially with packaged software where you don't know on which continent the support department is located.

That's why the low price for Windows 8 is such a non-factor. It doesn't include both the costs and the penalties of performing the actual upgrade, something that's rarely discussed on any forum -- until now. And all because the new Metro interface has the potential to break a whole lot of software out there.

How much is that OS upgrade costing you now?
Old 2012-07-09, 01:16 PM   #36
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
Modern PCs and operating systems are powerful enough to offer people choices. MS is arbitrarily removing choices and forcing people to follow their dogma.
What is Microsoft removing with Windows 8? Aside from the Start Menu getting replaced with the Start Screen, not a whole lot. A lot of stuff is getting added to Windows, and you can still use everything in 8 without a touch screen (just like old versions of Windows could be used without a mouse). Metro really wants you to have a touch screen, though. And if you only have a keyboard/mouse, you will probably feel like that user interface wasn't designed for you - and you're right, it wasn't.

Having used Windows 8 for a while on one of my PCs, I think I'm going to upgrade all of my PCs to Windows 8. Even my WMC-based HTPC - mainly because Storage Spaces will be awesome for media storage.
Old 2012-07-09, 01:46 PM   #37
Dr.Dave

I've started a new thread for people that want to talk about the pros and cons of Windows 8. Please continue your discussion there.

Windows 8 General Discussion
Old 2012-08-22, 09:52 AM   #38
Dr.Dave

The Microsoft web site is now open for registration for the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for PCs purchased after June 2, 2012. The Canadian price is confirmed at $14.99 for the download which will be available on October 26, 2012. See post 1 for more details.

https://windowsupgradeoffer.com

I've also seen ads where some PC makers have offers to refund the cost of the Windows 8 upgrade, but I don't recall which ones.
Old 2012-08-22, 09:59 AM   #39
ScaryBob
Veteran

It is rumoured that, for a limited time, MS will also be offering the full version of Windows 8 for about $70. The price after that will be around $200. No other details yet.
Old 2012-08-22, 12:53 PM   #40
Bunkhouse

Last time around they offered the following upgrade offers pre-launch:
Windows 7 Home Premium ($64.99) and Windows 7 Professional ($124.99)

So I assume they'll have an even better offer due to lots of people being unsure about the new GUI.
Old 2012-08-22, 02:22 PM   #41
ScaryBob
Veteran

The upgrade price for Win8 Pro is already set at $39.99 (US.) That's a lot better than the Win7 offers. The upgrade applies to WinXP, Vista and Win7.
Old 2012-08-24, 04:18 PM   #42
j0dest3r
Veteran

What is going to happen to the family pack of Windows 7? IMO I don't think my pack is going to be upgradable but basically because my systems are older and came with XP they are eligible that way.
Old 2012-08-24, 04:39 PM   #43
Dr.Dave

I think any PC that has a valid Win 7 license would be eligible for the Win 8 upgrade, even if they were previously upgraded by the Win 7 family pack. I don't see why there would be a problem.
Old 2012-08-28, 06:23 PM   #44
j0dest3r
Veteran

Well the trouble is, the family pack activates 3 PCs from the same key. I could see the key working 1 time to qualify but will the same key work for three separate purchases of Windows8? If I had my way, in theory the 3 pack upgrade to Windows 8 should charge me $120.00 and just give me a key good for three copies of Windows 8 Pro. I suspect that is not how its going to work. If anyone knows otherwise, please set me straight.
Old 2012-08-29, 07:27 PM   #45
TorontoColin

Just buy three Windows 8 upgrades. Assuming it's like past Windows upgrades, the upgrade doesn't work based on the old license key, but just checks to see if there is a valid install of an older version of Windows.

Tags
windows 8