Rented my first movie off iTunes. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing

Old 2012-05-18, 10:46 PM   #1
eljay
DHC Supporter

Default Rented my first movie off iTunes.

My wife and I were interested in watching one of two movies tonight - "Chronicle" or "Haywire" - but neither was available at any of our local Zip kiosks. So I thought I'd try renting "Chronicle" from iTunes. The rental-and-download process was simple, and I had the movie on my home-office PC in ~30 minutes. (Our current ISP is Primus @ ~3-4Mbps; we'll be switching to TekSavvy @ 12Mpbs later this month.)

I wanted to put the movie on my wife's laptop, hook it up to the receiver and watch the movie on the big screen but, as it turns out, the rented movie won't play on any other device because of DRM, and I didn't have anything installed on my PC with which to crack it (and I didn't feel like getting into searching for free software to download and install in order to crack the DRM).

So we decided to pull a couple of Poangs up to the 21.5" monitor that I use for my PC (PC to monitor is VGA; PC to stereo receiver is analogue stereo) and watch the movie in the home-office. We started the movie and quickly noticed that the audio was not in sync with the video. (This has never been an issue with any video - streamed or off my HDD - I've watched on my PC.) I did a bit of cursory Googling and fiddled with a few settings, but nothing seemed to work. So, every few minutes I would pause the movie for a second, which would allow the audio and video to get into sync...for a few minutes.

This was a disappointing introduction to renting movies off the Web. Thankfully, although the movie was OK, it wasn't so good as to regret having watched it the way we did.
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-19, 10:54 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
I wanted to put the movie on my wife's laptop, hook it up to the receiver and watch the movie on the big screen but, as it turns out, the rented movie won't play on any other device because of DRM
If you set up sharing in iTunes, you should be able to.
Old 2012-05-19, 03:13 PM   #3
eljay
DHC Supporter

Sharing, eh? Thanks for the tip, hugh - I'll look into that.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:34 AM   #4
hugh
Member #1

It's called Home Sharing and you need to turn it on. You also need to authorize the computers that you want to share with. I believe The limit is 5
Old 2012-05-20, 09:31 AM   #5
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
It's called Home Sharing and you need to turn it on. You also need to authorize the computers that you want to share with. I believe The limit is 5
OK, thanks. I do have my wife's laptop authorized but, unfortunately, I don't have my home network set up. (I just never got around to it.) Guess I have a bit of work left to do...

Thanks again for the info.
Old 2012-05-22, 05:08 PM   #6
faston
Veteran

If you have Apple TV renting a movie on your big screen is effortless.
Old 2012-05-22, 06:05 PM   #7
eljay
DHC Supporter

No Apple TV - just an Acer desktop with Windows Vista, a Samsung laptop with Windows 7...and a network I haven't gotten around to setting up yet.
Old 2012-05-22, 07:24 PM   #8
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by faston View Post
If you have Apple TV renting a movie on your big screen is effortless.
Only if you have a fast, reliable internet connection.
Old 2012-05-22, 07:28 PM   #9
audacity
Veteran

Well, if you define fast as "5mbps or better".
Old 2012-05-22, 07:43 PM   #10
eljay
DHC Supporter

I most definitely do NOT have a fast, reliable connection...yet.

(Not for streaming, anyway. For downloading, it's OK.)
Old 2012-05-23, 02:29 AM   #11
ssbtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Well, if you define fast as "5mbps or better".
Mine is 25Mbps and iTunes regularly craps out. No problems playing bluray rips over the local LAN, so it's nothing going wrong here.

I was showing my uncle how to rent iTunes movies the other day. He too had it crap out twice during the download and had to wait for it to fully download before playing the movie.
Old 2012-05-23, 09:10 AM   #12
jshel101
Veteran

ssbtech, When I had my 10Mb connection I had no problems renting movies off of iTunes, and you are saying you have a 25Mb connection. I thought you said you where a tech??? How can you compare streaming through your local LAN with streaming from the internet
Old 2012-05-23, 10:12 AM   #13

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

ssbtech has has a huge number of streaming issues as he discussed in the following thread...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...09#post1413709
Old 2012-06-01, 07:23 PM   #14
ssbtech

I was showing my technologically challenged uncle how to use iTunes to rent a movie.

After the download stalled 10 times, he gave up watching the movie. Never did get through the movie and when he had time to try to watch it again it had been deleted because iTunes only gives you 48 hrs to watch it from first playback.
Old 2012-06-02, 08:31 AM   #15
Phage

I've had no problems running two Apple TV's wirelessly off the same iTunes account. However, I plan in advance what I want to watch and press the "rent" well in advance of viewing time.