Moving from 2 channel audio to 5.1 - speaker selection - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2012-05-17, 02:23 PM   #1
tandem

Default Moving from 2 channel audio to 5.1 - speaker selection

Currently we have a 2 channel speaker set up driven by an Onkyo AV receiver (7.1 capable) and a powered subwoofer. All three speakers are Klipsch reference series, the speakers are RB61s.

It's a small room in a heritage house that I've renovated to the studs and wired all the walls for AV and electronics. Flooring and TV go in early next week, yay!

We want to keep the nature of our room as a living room first and foremost so will be looking for bookshelf sized speakers and stands that aren't obtrusive as opposed to floor mount models. I've come to the conclusion that the room wouldn't well suit bipole surrounds as the room is quite small with seating right at the rear wall; I'd also like to avoid wall mounting although I have run some cable just in case. I've got a shelf in a custom cabinet I'm building in a recess, to the right of seating, for one speaker and would stand mount the other more than likely or incorporate it in other furniture yet to be decided upon.

I've been assuming I should just continue on with klipsch and pick up perhaps another set of RB61's and a RC62 centre, and use either new or old RB61's for the surrounds. What I haven't considered doing is looking at new front right/left and center speakers from another maker and using our existing Rb61s (which I do like) for the surrounds. I would like the front three to match well of course.

I'm willing to pay up to 500 or 600 for a good centre and about the same for a pair for the front right/left, but if I can find something worth that for less on sale am all ears too. I know if I wait I can usually find Klipsch for about 450 on sale somewhere but it might be a wait. Like most folks, a deal appeals to me greatly... especially as I tally the rest of my renovation bills in between finishing walls.

I've only ever owned Klipsch and Snell, both in 2 channel configurations. Liked them both. Perhaps that means I don't have hugely firm opinions on what sound I like. We like a wide mixture of music and enjoy movies at home and expect our new Panasonic GT50 plus the Onkyo and filling out the centre and surrounds ought to really improve the audio for movie watching. I'd like to find something I like for music as well as HT.

Does anyone have thoughts on what I might look at?

PS: I still have the Snells but they need an overhaul. The cones have disintegrated over years of use. I would certainly consider using them as rears and pick up a Klipsch center in that case... if I can get them overhauled or do the work myself - I'm fairly handy and know some electronics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-17, 02:59 PM   #2
Dwayne Gorniak

Location: Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy spkrs, Paradigm PDR-12 Sub

I think you would be crazy to stray away from Klipsch speakers. You are already half way done the speaker setup. Why not just complete it. You are going to have a very nicely matched sound by staying with Klipsch speakers. I'm not saying you can't match the sound with other brands, which I have done myself. But when it comes to matching other brands you need spend allot of time listening to them and auditioning them which can be a very hard task. I have a couple of friends that Have Klipsh setups, and I must say, they are darned impressive. So for simplicity to math you existing speakers, I would just go with more Klipsh speakers. Check out Canuck Audio Mart as well.
Old 2012-05-17, 03:32 PM   #3
tandem

Thank you - that's entirely reasonable feedback and is my preference, although I might just refurbish those Snell speakers one of these days for another room or purpose.

It is too bad there is so little Klipsch dealer presence in my neck of the woods. I picked up the first three on deep discount at Future Shop after Christmas the year before last... very unlike me to shop boxing day sales (we went a few days later) but it was a great deal at the time.

Probably I'll end up mail ordering them. I'm aware of one authorized dealer with a good reputation that can put speakers in my hands, to my U.S. mailing address just across the border, at a very competitive price. Had hoped to find a local supplier though.