Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-14, 04:16 PM   #1
tgreg

Location: Toronto, Bell Fibe, Sony KDL55EX720, Yamaha+Paradigm5.1, GSIII, Asus InfinityPad
Default Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7?

So I've been surfing around & am really interested in this one; the 7.7" size would make it a great commuting device as well as home tablet. I've found some posts from earlier this year suggesting that a wifi only version is coming to Canada, but no info for a couple of months.

Anyone have any updates/inside info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-15, 08:55 AM   #2
rfielder
Veteran

I have a 7" tablet, and a 10" tablet. In some ways, the 7" tablet is nicer - easier to handle, easier to hold, closer to the traditional paperback book page size.

It is sufficient for viewing videos at a reasonable distance - for example, at the gym it sits on the control panel of the eliptical machines, does not cover the text put up by the screen, and is large enough to enjoy when watching a TV series or a movie.

The 10" is nicer for watching video, but it more effort to carry around.

One big difference - this may not apply to all - is that the electronics in both take up about the same amount of space. In a larger tablet, they can pack in more batteries, which is why a larger tablet can have a longer run time than a smaller tablet.

My 7" tablet is a far East cheapie, but I still prefer it for some things. Had it the nice display (mine is 800x480, good ones as 1024x600), and better touch technology (mine is pressure sensitive, not capacitive), and Bluetooth, it would be a knockout. It does support a microSD card, which my 10" tablet does not, and I have found that to be a bit of an issue.
Old 2012-05-15, 11:58 AM   #3
TorontoColin

You can get it, but it's expensive. Is the 7.7 inch important over standard 7 inch? If not, the 7 inch Galaxy Tab 2 is much, much less expensive.
Old 2012-05-15, 01:27 PM   #4
tgreg

Location: Toronto, Bell Fibe, Sony KDL55EX720, Yamaha+Paradigm5.1, GSIII, Asus InfinityPad

I haven't been able to track a retailer down ... I'm intrigued by the AMOLED display on this & the improved horsepower.
Old 2012-06-13, 01:04 AM   #5
awebber

I think the 7.7 is a Super AMOLED Plus screen while the others aren't as good. In the US it's exclusive to Verizon I think, though you could presumably pay full price and then use it as a WiFi-only device. Also available on eBay direct from Asia.

=aw
Old 2012-06-19, 02:08 PM   #6
Veee

If someone wants a 7.7 Tablet with AMOLED there is the upcoming Toshiba AT270. It's pricey as well though. But at least you will be able to get it anywhere.