Onkyo Frustration with Signal Sync - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2012-05-14, 01:38 PM   #1
TXRX

Default Onkyo Frustration with Signal Sync

The receiver works fine when I listen to the optical out from the TV (OTA).

When I want to watch a Blu-ray, I select the HDMI input (DVD) and the receiver reports "no signal". If I select the HDMI input from the PC it's the same.

If I continue selecting various inputs, including VCR composite, the receiver eventually locks onto audio then video. This takes about 15 minutes and I can't say what makes it finally work.

I did a 'reset' as outlined in the Onkyo manual but there was no change. I disconnected the HDMI from the PC, no change. This began about 2 months ago, all was fine before that. Any pointers?
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-14, 06:26 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Here's the FAQ on HDMI issues. Often things need to be turned on in a certain order, especially if there is a PC involved:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

I would try turning on the AVR first and then the other items, but some experimentation may find the right order. When switching and using a PC, you may need to turn everything off, then on in the right order.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:07 PM   #3
satanshollow

I also have the same Onkyo receiver. It's unfortunately a common problem with these receivers. I found several videos on youtube to replace the capacitors on the hdmi board.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:18 PM   #4
TXRX

Interesting, I'll look into that, thanks!

I have found that it will sync most times if I put a Blu Ray in and turn off the player then listen to the TV via receiver and turn on the Blu Ray.

I turned on Anynet on my TV and must select (DVD) on the receiver pretty soon after the TV switches automatically. Seems to work with only some disks too.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:12 PM   #5
TXRX

That tip has lead me to some great info on other sites which detail the repair. I'm not afraid to tackle it, let me know if your interested and I'll source extra capacitors.

Thanks for posting this info
Old 2012-06-01, 12:45 AM   #6
satanshollow

No problem, let me know how it goes. I did a couple of tests. I hooked the telus pvr directly to the tv via hdmi bypassing the Onkyo, and the start up time is the same around as when it's plugged into the receiver. I "think" mine is normal, for now. Good luck!
Old 2012-10-27, 04:11 PM   #7
TXRX

Great news! I contacted Onkyo customer service and (long story short) they fully covered my TX-SR606. The unit is about 3 years old and I had to provide proof of purchase and the serial number that's it. I dropped it off in Langley at Universal TV and I got it back yesterday after about 3 weeks. They replaced the HDMI board.

The sources switch right away and my on screen menus and Audyssey work again.

I'll buy Onkyo again based on customer service alone.