BlackBerry 10 Discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-14, 12:02 AM   #16
BGY11
Veteran

The keyboard and better battery life is what convinced me to switch back to BlackBerry. The fact I'm working in a position where BlackBerrys are used a fair bit also helped in this decision (easier to troubleshoot something if I'm familiar with the devices in question).

For those who roam a fair bit, yet still need to remain connected, the data compression that BlackBerrys use is also very nice. This is especially helpful for business travellers, as it means not a lot needs to be spent on a roaming package with lots of data.

I sure hope that RIM continues to offer this when BB10 devices launch. While some may think it's a throwback to years past when bandwidth was limited, the fact that carriers are mostly shying away from unlimited data plans makes this still handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-15, 08:45 PM   #17
asif9t9
Veteran

+1 on the battery life of BB's. I don't know about the IOS devices, but Android phones kill batteries. Live wallpapers, widgets, auto-syncing... There are these cool features built into Android devices, but first thing you learn when you need better battery life is to cut back on those features. With my Android phone (HTC Desire HD), I also have to setup apps to turn off Bluetooth when not needed, and turn off wifi. I never had to think about these things for all my BB years.
Old 2012-05-15, 09:10 PM   #18
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
I never had to think about these things for all my BB years.
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. My first few BBs about 10 years ago had batteries that would last several days. My last two, Torch and Bold 9900, have batteries that last just a little over one day if BT and wifi are left on all the time.
Old 2012-05-16, 01:52 PM   #19
jokeDR

I own an android nexus s. Can't stand the touch screen. I'm probably going to sell my nexus and buy a BB.

To me voice quality, sturdy keyboard, battery, and security are more important than limitless gimmicky apps.

Phone function is the primary reason for having a cell phone for me. Secondary is texting. Everything else I can do via netbook, tablet, PC etc...

Supporting domestic business is icing on the cake. I will follow the thoughts from the savvy members on this thread regarding BB10. I hope RIM can turn it around.
Old 2012-05-16, 09:29 PM   #20
asif9t9
Veteran

One thing I don't miss from my old BB's, which I trust is no longer an issue(?), is how it was just understood you had to do a hard reset with a battery pull once a day to clear out the memory. lol I knew things were bad when there was an app created to mimick the hard battery pull.
Old 2012-05-16, 10:04 PM   #21
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
One thing I don't miss from my old BB's, which I trust is no longer an issue(?), is how it was just understood you had to do a hard reset with a battery pull once a day to clear out the memory. lol I knew things were bad when there was an app created to mimick the hard battery pull.
I hvae not had that experience.

I have been using BBs for about 10 years and I have had about 8 devices in that time. Daily reboots were never required although batter pulls or three finger salutes were occaionally required.
Old 2012-05-16, 10:40 PM   #22
BGY11
Veteran

It really depended on the software you were running on the BlackBerry, and whether or not you installed a leaked rom (which could lead to instability). I do know on my Curve 9360, I've had to do two battery pulls to resolve some issues (the second one actually was due to the Music Player refusing to play my music).

As far as the QuickPull app is concerned, I think it's a great idea for those who have a case like the Otterbox Commuter / Defender that's a pain to remove. Like any smartphone, sometimes a BlackBerry can lock up or exhibit strange behavior. That said, it's definitely not a common thing, and I'm not in the camp who thinks you have to QuickPull daily. That was even true of my Storm 9530 when I had it.