Anyone noticed Unblockus or Unotelly affecting VOIP? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-02, 05:03 PM   #1
toronto_guy
Rookie

Default Anyone noticed Unblockus or Unotelly affecting VOIP?

I've been using Unblockus for a few months now, and quite enjoying it. I have the DNS servers set at the router level.

I just noticed today that I'm unable to make 1-866 calls using my Vonage VOIP account. I keep getting the message, "the call cannot be completed as dialled." The number works fine on my cell phone.

Now, is this issue caused by Unblockus making Vonage believe that I am in a different region, or is this just a general VOIP issue?

Sorry if I'm a little off topic, but there seems to be more discussion regarding Unblockus in this forum than the VOIP forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-04, 09:43 AM   #2
m3repair

why not reset your DNS settings and see if the call goes through, personally speaking I have VOIP but a different provider and usually don't call 1-866 numbers, but I read awhile back that those calls are routed funny and a times what should be a free call ends up being a paid call because the direction of the call goes to different places with that 1-866 number. I am hoping that sheds some light on the issue.
Old 2012-05-09, 09:24 AM   #3
timberland29

If you find that unblock us is affecting your VoIP then just change the dns manually on each streaming device that needs it. In my case I only have my apple tvs and blu ray players using unblock us dns.
Old 2012-05-12, 06:23 PM   #4
igot6strings
Rookie

I'm with timberland on this. Its probably a good idea for security reasons to have it set on each device so you can disable it as needed.
I do trust unblock-us as I use it myself but I still feel a bit weary about having my internet network on their DNS. Its simple to toggle on/off on most devices anyway so why not go that route if its affecting your means of communication?
Old 2012-05-14, 12:49 PM   #5
toronto_guy
Rookie

I verified that the 1-866 issue is specific to Vonage, and not related to unblock-us. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

I'm not concerned enough with security to enter device by device DNS settings. Really, I have no more reason to trust Rogers that I do unblock-us.

I use a newsgroup server with SSL enabled, and I have a VPN server I can use as well.

Cheers.
Old 2012-05-14, 02:18 PM   #6
igot6strings
Rookie

Yeah I agree with you there. Rogers is the biggest crook in the internet business. lol
Old 2012-05-15, 08:54 PM   #7
HDTV101
Veteran

Could be that Vonage now thinks you're in the USA and is not allowing you to call Canadian 1-800 numbers.